MS Buying its Way into the eReader Market

Discussion in 'Mobile Devices & Gadgets' started by poofyhairguy, Apr 30, 2012.

1. poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy Lifer

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-17896534

I guess that ends the lawsuits between the two as well....

2. Bateluer

Bateluer Lifer

Thats good news. I hope this means that B&N won't be spinning off its Nook business too . . . would be an epic blunder for them.

3. dagamer34

dagamer34 Platinum Member

Technically the Nook business is worth more than B&N itself.

4. dougp

dougp Diamond Member

Windows 8 ANT eBook readers inc?

5. MaxFusion16

MaxFusion16 Golden Member

bye bye android.

next version of nook will run windows 8

6. vshah

vshah Lifer

yeah, sucks.

7. Golgatha

Golgatha Lifer

I almost want to short B&N stock. I can't imagine Google, Amazon, or the iTunes store ever losing to Microsoft's store. Too much competition out of the gate, and Microsoft doesn't have digital distribution rights to streaming content like Apple and Amazon both do. I expect this venture to fail as hard as Zune did.

8. Headcase_Fargone

Headcase_Fargone Senior member

This is most unfortunate, as I really love the Nook hardware so far. I've owned every iteration of it and they just keep getting better.

9. destrekor

destrekor Lifer

I was thinking the same thing.

Which is a disappointment in some ways, but a good Windows 8 (likely WinRT, aka Win8 for ARM) eReader/eReader-focused tablet is definitely needed in the market once ready.

Personally, I might be looking to the Win8 tablet/laptop hybrid devices (like the Intel reference design), if they feel good and don't feel like I'm sacrificing too much (also depends on thickness/weight).

Considering I have no express need, I am in no rush and will definitely be interested in more options out there. I won't go the "limited" tablet route like the Nook Color / Nook Tablet / Kindle Fire route again, but that's a huge market in of itself.

10. Super56K

Super56K Golden Member

Microsoft likely just locked up their budget Win8 tablet, and I bet it'll be as successful as the current Android Nook tablets if pricing is consistent. Could be a very smart move because B&N can push the Nook branding while Microsoft gets a lot of new customers into the Win8 ecosystem.

11. poofyhairguy

poofyhairguy Lifer

What makes me sad is B&N's first tablet- the Nook Color- is easily one of the most hacker friendly devices ever. They go from that to the Nook Tablet (with its locks) to a Windows Tablet.

12. gorcorps

gorcorps aka Brandon

Sucks from a consumer standpoint, but from a business standpoint they don't care about that. By now we all know that they didn't make money selling the hardware, they made money selling books and apps. Changing OSes sucks for us rooters, but that capability doesn't matter if it didn't bring them any extra money.

13. destrekor

destrekor Lifer

Well, after the Nook Color, it really lost the appeal of a rooter's entry-level tablet. There are better tablets for around the same price.

And if this rumored Nexus Tablet from Asus ever drops, it's probably game over in that arena (until better hardware finds its way to that price level).

I stopped feeling tied to the Nook Color once magazines were brought to the Nook for Android app - which wasn't long after release iirc.
    I just haven't had a desire to upgrade, since I rarely use it. I WOULD use it more if it had better hardware, but I'm being exceptionally picky about what I want in my next tablet and don't mind waiting since I have no express need and wouldn't get to use it much out of the house - and honestly, I'd rather sit back at my PC instead of messing with a tablet.

14. Skel

Skel Diamond Member

From what I’ve seen / read on these forums, the kindle is destroying the Nook in sales. With that in mind, and B&N not doing well all around it’s not surprising that they’re looking at creating something different than their competitors. Getting a huge cash infusion from MS is in a way a lifesaver as I don’t think B&N could have survived long term the way they were going. From what I’m also reading it’s no longer the sought after root kit as there are now cheaper models that can do more. Unless I’m misunderstanding, which is very possible as I don’t follow all the shades of Android let alone tablets.

Of course having said that, I’ve also not seen where they’ve announced they’re dropping the Android platform. I wouldn’t put it outside the idea of them creating two tablets, one being a higher end Win8 tablet/ereader and another going more the Kindle route and removing all things Google from Android.

15. Skott

Skott Diamond Member

Not surprised. MS buys what it cannot make. They been doing this a long time.