MPX Chipset and Dual XP's not MP's and MPvsMPX questions

KingofFah

May 14, 2002
Does anyone know whether you can just use dual XP's in the MPX chipset (mine is Tyan Tiger MPX s2466N). I heard/read that it is just a matter of fooling the BIOS. Does anyone know how I would go about this? Also, what real power do you get from using an MPX instead of an MP chipset board. The only difference I see is the North to South bridge interconnect bandwidth. How can that difference affect performance? Any other differences between MPX and MP?

KingofFah

May 14, 2002
The only stuff that would be using that interconnect would be:
ATA100 80gb HDD
CD-RW
DVD
Audigy
Mouse
Keyboard
Floppy

Is the 133 bandwidth provided by the the 33/32bit interconnect enough for all that? I figure it should be, but I would like to get some sort of confirmation.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Diff. between the MP and MPX is that the MP did 64bit/33mhz in the long slots, while the MPX does 64bit/66Mhz.

If you want to run XP's instead of MP's, there is a bridge on the CPU you must connect to try and make it run stable.

I have a Asus 760MPX board running 2 1Ghz durons at 110Mhz FSB. So far stable and pretty quick, waiting on my 64bit/66Mhz Dual port ethernet card.

You know a Dual XP system will be slowwer at Games and other daily stuff, right? If you are trying ti do video editing, run a server, etc.. then a Dual system will help.

KingofFah

May 14, 2002
I know about the 64/66. The reason why I posted the stuff that would be running through the south bridge was to find out whether the amount of stuff is enough to consume the 133 bandwidth provided by the 32/33 interconnect. If it were higher, then I would definitely need to get the MPX for its 533 interconnect bandwidth. Is that the only difference? The only reason why I am using the dual chipset is for multithreaded compilation. Anyway, Marlin, do you know or could you direct me to a place to tell me how to do the things with the CPU do get it to run stable?

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
Originally posted by: KingofFah
I know about the 64/66. The reason why I posted the stuff that would be running through the south bridge was to find out whether the amount of stuff is enough to consume the 133 bandwidth provided by the 32/33 interconnect. If it were higher, then I would definitely need to get the MPX for its 533 interconnect bandwidth. Is that the only difference? The only reason why I am using the dual chipset is for multithreaded compilation. Anyway, Marlin, do you know or could you direct me to a place to tell me how to do the things with the CPU do get it to run stable?

I am using the onboard sound (C-Media) and a DVD, CD-RW, One Hard drive, etc... And my MPX board has not had any problems(even when I overclock a little) But I would get a Newwer MPX chipset with the NEW southbridge that has woring USB ports built into the board. My board has the old southbridge and I have to use a USB 2.0 Card.

So find a MPX boartd with the NEW southbridge and go with that.

You can go to Amdmb.com and look in their forums. That is where I got a lot of info.

Good Luck

KingofFah

May 14, 2002
The Tiger MPX s2466 was the one that needed the card, I don't think you can buy those anymore. I am getting the Tiger MPX s2466N-4M, which has working USB ports. I am still going to disable them :) I would have gone with the AsusMPX, but it does not have onboard Lan.

Does anyone know what I have to do to the CPU to make it more stable?