MP3Pro, better sound quality, half the size, and backwards compatible

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Can all the forum members pool our money and pay for a Napster server in Denmark, or wherever it is that they won't be regulated?

lamplighter

Apr 25, 2001
The news about Denmark was totally misleading. It is simply Denmark updating their laws to fit with the European Union about being able to have personal copies of the songs and on the computer.

Hmm, MPEG-4 exists and this is not it. :)

Ogg Vorbis is not even as good as MP3 (other than it being "free")!

Cerb

Elite Member
Aug 26, 2000
40GB HD: $100
That's enough normal MP3s that MP3pro doesn't sound that great :)

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< 40GB HD: $100
That's enough normal MP3s that MP3pro doesn't sound that great :)
>>

But you could store TWICE as many MP3Pro songs for your $$$ ;)

More and more compression. They list no ratios or comparisons in that article.

<< And like the old format, MP3Pro will not have built-in security against unauthorized copying. >>

So what I see so far is a way for companies to just capatalize off of the mp3.
I see no evidence of a upgrade in the technology.
Seems more of a money making, get peoples info and what they listen to scheme to me.

dawks

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Im not too concerned with file size.. I care more about quality.. not even 320kbit LAME sounds very good..

Im hoping MP3Pro 320 will be almost 'perfect' CD quality..

kami

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< not even 320kbit LAME sounds very good >>

yo...i have a decent system and i can't tell a difference between 320 (or even 256kbps) properly encoded LAME mp3s. It's a fact that LAME at 256 and above does not drop any audible frequencies, but 192 does. I think 192 falls off around 15KHz. 256 makes it to 20khz...have you ever heard a 20khz tone? i sure as hell can't hear it. and if i can, it's extremely faint. stuff like Xing and other is pure crap though. LAME is the way to go.
since getting this system, i have had to delete hundreds of mp3s and re-download the ones i like b/c it shows their weaknesses badly and it sounds terrible. but LAME is sweet

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
its all about yur own ears.

interesting, i don't like WMA, encoding it was crap.. i kept getting pops (converting too).. and i have an 800mhz celeron system.. if i can't encode w/ that, screw it (was trying to extend memory on a nomad).. but if this at all works, may be a viable option. Won't apply to me much anymore, me switched over to MD :p