Mp3 players and workouts.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
Hi. This is the first time I've looked into getting one of these gizmos. Primary intention would be to use one for my workout sessions (light weightlifting, walking, light jogging, cycling). Would hard drive-based players work ok for those activities? Or is it suggested to get a flash-memory player for those purposes (possible hard drive damage)? Are HD players too heavy and annoying for working out with one stapped onto you somewhere?

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
You may wish to stick to the flash memory players because I'm not sure how the HD players will react to all the movement and they tend to be heavier.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
It seems reasonable to think that the shock from constant jiggling and moving would have some impact on the hard drive in the future - moving parts and such. I have a flash memory based one so I can't comment specifically. My 128MB Creative has more than enough space for songs for the hour and half workouts I do.

MaxDSP

Lifer
May 15, 2001
I use a MiniDisc player...not really a pure mp3 player, but it serves it's pupose well. Th thing has only skipped twice in the 6+ months I've had it, and both times it was while I was in the car

CaseTragedy

Platinum Member
Oct 24, 2000
HD will be fine for your lifting and walking. but depending on what kind of jogging/cycling you do--you may need flash.

-Case

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
HD will be fine for walking light jogging and lifting, if you do road cycleing where its pretty smooth and the player isnt banger around alot they it will be fine, if you are mountian bikeing i wouldent recomend it, you woudl need a flash one for that

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
MPIO FL100128MB I use this thing... It works great for me. Very light and the FM reception is great. I added a 256mb SD card to mine. It is basically all heavy metal / violent / aggressive music that keeps me pumped up during workouts. I don't see how I could get through some of them without listening to that music.

rsd

Platinum Member
Dec 30, 2003
I use my IPOD for doing elliptical and all my weight lifting at the gym with no issues. However running would be another matter, as that seems to be more "bouncy" than the elliptical. I wouldn't use my IPOD for real running most likely, just wouldn't want to accidently drop it or anything. Elliptical is more "controlled".

Jan 8, 2003
i use Rio Cali - "everything a Nike Philips player should have been". it's small, light, flash based, has FM (reception is OK) and is quite sturdy. many people at the gym favor that and also Nike-Philips. iPods do not seem to be a favorite with the crowd.

MBony

Platinum Member
Sep 16, 2003
Do yourself a favor and get a RIO. I just got one Fri. and LUV it! I went jogging and it performed flawlessly. I plan on taking it to the gym tonight for free weights. I spent <$60 and it has internal 64MB and FM tuner.

RIO S30S

AIWGuru

Banned
Nov 19, 2003
I use the rio 600 with expansion pack. It's great. Perfect for workouts. I'd be afraid of using a HDD based player.
edit: also has awesome playlist feature. Great player.

xboxist

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2002
Thanks guys. I cycle on smooth roads, so it seems as if a HD-player will do fine for me. If I can get one of those for around $250, it just makes more sense than spending only half of that to get a flash-memory player that has only a tiny fraction of the capacity.

But I see your point... if I only plan on using it for my workouts, then I don't really need more than an hour or so of music.

*grumble* I hate decisions like this.

AIWGuru

Banned
Nov 19, 2003
I hate HDD based players. they can get what? 5 hours? That's horrible! Plus the battery is usually proprietary. Flash based players can now get 18 hours out of a AAA battery (lowest volume) Plus HDDs will invariably wear out - especially in high impact environments - and they're too bulky. WTF do you need 4 gigs of music for? Get yourself a flash player that will hold 128mb of data. WMA is superior at 96kbps to mp3 and is good enough for portable music. At taht rate, you can hold 3 hours of music. That's plenty.
While the rio 600 and 900 I love, they're kind of aging.
RIO offers a ton of new models though. They're the best, IMHO.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: AIWGuru
I hate HDD based players. they can get what? 5 hours? That's horrible! Flash based players can now get 18 hours out of a AAA battery (lowest volume) Plus HDDs will invariably wear out - especially in high impact environments - and they're too bulky.
While the rio 600 and 900 I love, they're kind of aging.
RIO offers a ton of new models though. They're the best, IMHO.
My Karma routinely gets 12-14 hours per charge. :p
Personally, I use my Karma while commuting and have an old cheap Pine D'Music (freebie) mp3 player for the gym. I'm not too concerned with features or sound quality when I'm working out. Although since I've been doing mainly cardio the past few weeks, I just bring my headphones in and watch tv. :)