Mozilla forgot to update a certificate, all add-ons automatically disabled

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Mostly been doing .Net web apps, so just setting breakpoints, or adding robust error logging to provide debug info after the app has been deployed.
You can set breakpoints in your IDE for the UI when it's running in the browser?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
You can set breakpoints in your IDE for the UI when it's running in the browser?
If it's logic in the code-behind, yes. I've only done it when debugging locally, allegedly you can do it by attaching to remote processes on the web server, but I haven't had the chance to get that running. If it's strictly front-end logic, no.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
If it's logic in the code-behind, yes. I've only done it when debugging locally, allegedly you can do it by attaching to remote processes on the web server, but I haven't had the chance to get that running. If it's strictly front-end logic, no.
Yeah I'm not talking about debugging the backend. I'm talking about debugging the frontend in the browser. You can debug remote processes if you start the process with the right debug flags, so that it listens for the remote debug connection.

It's mind boggling to me that people can be web developers and not use those tools, but I've worked with quite a few of them.

Even just the tools do modify css/html in the browser in Chrome are way better than FF.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Yeah I'm not talking about debugging the backend. I'm talking about debugging the frontend in the browser. You can debug remote processes if you start the process with the right debug flags, so that it listens for the remote debug connection.

It's mind boggling to me that people can be web developers and not use those tools, but I've worked with quite a few of them.

Even just the tools do modify css/html in the browser in Chrome are way better than FF.
Might be a question of target audience, maybe 10% of my work is front-end, and not aimed at consumers or for particularly wide consumption overall.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Might be a question of target audience, maybe 10% of my work is front-end, and not aimed at consumers or for particularly wide consumption overall.
Well when we're talking about browsers here which is the front end, which is why I brought up dev tools in browsers.

If you're just doing backend work, then there isn't even any need for chrome or firefox. Just use a tool like postman to make requests and look at the data coming back.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Well when we're talking about browsers here which is the front end, which is why I brought up dev tools in browsers.

If you're just doing backend work, then there isn't even any need for chrome or firefox. Just use a tool like postman to make requests and look at the data coming back.
That's fine, I'm just saying I disagree with your assessment that Chrome is a superior browser :D

Reactions: purbeast0

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Honestly, at first I thought they were just pulling some shenanigans, so on the PC I was using at the time, I installed Opera and used that instead. Built-in ad-blocking.

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Having worked with a number of them over the years, I'm more amazed than anything works :(

I tell people it's like the Bumblee thing...they aren't supposed to be able to fly, according to what we know about science, and yet somehow, they do! :D

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
Question: why are some of you fairly techy people using browser level ad blocking and not something like a pihole?

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I tell people it's like the Bumblee thing...they aren't supposed to be able to fly, according to what we know about science, and yet somehow, they do! :D
I regret to inform you that this is an urban legend that needs to be put to rest.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015

I'm surprised to hear this too. I'm not even in webdev in any way and I use the chrome/edge dev tools fairly often to troubleshoot webpage issues (usually resulting in me opening a ticket with our webdev team). How is this not common?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
Question: why are some of you fairly techy people using browser level ad blocking and not something like a pihole?
For home stuff, partly lazy, I don't browse the intertubes much outside of work. When I do, it's usually either on my mobile, which isn't really applicable to a pihole/external proxy of some kind, hence adblock/ghostery on FF mobile.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'm surprised to hear this too. I'm not even in webdev in any way and I use the chrome/edge dev tools fairly often to troubleshoot webpage issues (usually resulting in me opening a ticket with our webdev team). How is this not common?
I think a lot of people simple don't use debuggers. Even on a new project I just started on, the other 2 devs on it had never hooked up the java backend to a debugger. That was like the first thing I did after I got the project up and running.

Now to be fair, the 2 devs were on it part time and the reason I am now on it is to basically take it over.

I also think that many people used console.log to debug because web dev tools were really bad until Chrome made some nice ones, and many people thought that Firebug was as good as it got. My previous 2 projects were Firefox only until I got onto them, and then the apps worked in both Chrome and FF but everyone switched to Chrome for dev purposes.

Nov 20, 2009
On my Windows 7 platform I cannot even perform the so called fix. I'm running 52.8.0 32-bix FF ESR and the described instructions does apply to versions this old. But the bug sure does affect versions this old.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
On my Windows 7 platform I cannot even perform the so called fix. I'm running 52.8.0 32-bix FF ESR and the described instructions does apply to versions this old. But the bug sure does affect versions this old.
I didn't have to do anything, once I re-launched Firefox, everything was back. I'm also on the current version, of course.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I use firefox cause fuck chrome. We went through this shit in the early 00s where one company dominated the web, and extended it in fucked up ways to their benefit, while lagging on development cause they didn't have to do anything.

I've used firefox since before it was firefox, and it always works sufficiently well. I don't agree with all their decisions, especially lately, but it's still better than the monoculture of chrome.

Btw, setting xpinstall.signatures.required to false fixed fennec-fdroid on android, the latest fx on xubuntu, and 60.6.1esr on debian.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I didn't have to do anything, once I re-launched Firefox, everything was back. I'm also on the current version, of course.

@BarkingGhostar

Same here on my desktop in my main Firefox profile, but on a secondary one I have, I ended up 'refreshing Firefox' and reinstating my add-ons/settings.