Mozilla forgot to update a certificate, all add-ons automatically disabled

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
It didn't affect my debian or xubuntu systems, but it did android. Setting xpinstall.signatures.required to false fixed it. I was reading on it last night, and it sounded like windows was more heavily affected, with few-no ways of fixing it. It's bullshit that a company can snatch software away from the user, especially a *free* software company. Mistakes happen, but there should always be a workaround.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Setting xpinstall.signatures.required to false fixed it.

Only if you are running an fairly old version of Firefox. They removed the functionality. Although it sounds like they are (because of this) bringing it back in nightly.

Mozilla is a bunch of fuckups, yes.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Only if you are running an fairly old version of Firefox. They removed the functionality. Although it sounds like they are (because of this) bringing it back in nightly.

Mozilla is a bunch of fuckups, yes.
It worked in the newest version of fennec-fdroid on android, which is currently 66.0.2. Debian is 60.6.1esr and was never affected(?). Xubuntu's at work with the latest version, so I may have simply missed the event. I guess I'll find out Monday.

Sounded like windows users had the fewest options for fixing it. One might think "Fuck windows users anyway, they chose to not have freedom", but even windows users should have the benefit of libre software on their non-free base. Mozilla removing options for 'the user's benefit' is arrogant. Making certain options default is the developers prerogative, but they should never come at the expense of the user's wishes.

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Studies fix does work. Updated in about 30 seconds.

This was obviously not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but think about all those viruses that just spread via ads/scripts in that time.

Part of the whole reason to be against the whole everything has to be attached and out of your control mentality in the name of 'ease of use'.

Mar 11, 2004
Studies fix does work. Updated in about 30 seconds.

This was obviously not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things, but think about all those viruses that just spread via ads/scripts in that time.

Part of the whole reason to be against the whole everything has to be attached and out of your control mentality in the name of 'ease of use'.

Eh, I think that argument is overblown too (as Firefox has some built-in safeguards for plenty of that stuff), and we know for a fact that a lot of malware has been enabled by manipulating certs, so I don't think its that horrible to pull add-ons if there's an issue with them, as more than likely not doing that means that malware could abuse the add-on setup.

Seems there was a bug of some sort though and its been resolved.

Last edited:
Reactions: ImpulsE69

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
Just hit my debian system. Fixed it the same way I fixed the android version. Not only did it not protect me from malicious addons since I've been running 24 hours with 'malicious' addons, Mozilla still hasn't fixed their shit 24 hours later. If I was running windows, I'd be sol.

CRkYHwJ.png

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Wow, I've been using AdBlock for years. WTF is this auto-playing "Don't Miss!" video shit on the forums? My anti-virus blocks an attempted malware link every time I go into a sub-forum.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
My god... is this what the internet has come to? There are more ads than content on the Anandtech homepage, with an auto-play video. The fuck?:eek:

1557020503306.png

Reactions: Jimzz

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
Mozilla forgot to update a certificate, all add-ons automatically disabled

Oof. Wink did this a few years ago, bricked a bunch of smarthomes: (including mine!)

https://www.engadget.com/2015/04/19/wink-home-automation-hub-bricked/

SPOF is a difficult thing to deal with, especially as many companies lack a good internal tracking system for simple things like that.

Regarding IT infrastructure, you'd be amazed at how many Fortune 500 companies are built on an house of cards. Plus countless other companies. And it's only gonna get worse, not better, in the future!

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Hmmm that must've been what was behind that message I got, maybe starting yesterday but I only clicked "Learn more" today: "Some add-ons were disabled" or something like that.

I clicked the "Learn more" button but the list of disabled extensions was blank. Then I went to my Extensions and the full list was there and none were disabled. So I just thought "whateva" and went on my business.

This is with Firefox (Quantum; is that just a version designation?); 66.0.3 which it says is up-to-date.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
I just checked for updates and 66.0.4 is now out. No more ads! Shame on those websites that call you out for using an ad-blocker... the internet is horrible without one.

Reactions: skull

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I just checked for updates and 66.0.4 is now out. No more ads! Shame on those websites that call you out for using an ad-blocker... the internet is horrible without one.

Admittedly I always have feelings of trepidation when some site asks me to browse without an ad blocker (usually they're the biggest offenders), but some sites don't do a horrible job with ad choice / layout. Duolingo for example balances it pretty well.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
i cringed after seeing the real net yesterday with a bunch of ads.
windows 7 was affected and the update to firefox fixes it.
android still affected with no updates for firefox app yet :(

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I'm shocked that so many people even use Firefox. As a web developer, Chrome is far superior, although I have heard that Firefox has somewhat caught up with Chrome in more recent times. At least the days of Firebug are over.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Oof. Wink did this a few years ago, bricked a bunch of smarthomes: (including mine!)

https://www.engadget.com/2015/04/19/wink-home-automation-hub-bricked/

SPOF is a difficult thing to deal with, especially as many companies lack a good internal tracking system for simple things like that.

Regarding IT infrastructure, you'd be amazed at how many Fortune 500 companies are built on an house of cards. Plus countless other companies. And it's only gonna get worse, not better, in the future!
Having worked with a number of them over the years, I'm more amazed than anything works :(
I'm shocked that so many people even use Firefox. As a web developer, Chrome is far superior, although I have heard that Firefox has somewhat caught up with Chrome in more recent times. At least the days of Firebug are over.
I'm a web developer, and I don't use Chrome because it's not as good as Firefox, so YMMV.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011

I had a test case that convinced me to migrate to Chrome (32 tabs loading from bookmarks), on my quad-core processor Chrome could do it approximately four times quicker. Then Firefox's multithreading support came along and the two were neck-and-neck. As Firefox works more to my liking (e.g. download behaviour and configurability, but other reasons too), I switched back.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Having worked with a number of them over the years, I'm more amazed than anything works :(

I'm a web developer, and I don't use Chrome because it's not as good as Firefox, so YMMV.
You must not use the dev tools at all then, because Chrome's are much much better, but as I mentioned, Firefox has caught up somewhat.

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I use FF on mobile because adblockers don't work on mobile chrome, at least not last time I tried to use them. I don't use it on desktops though.

This bug affected mobile versions too :(

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
You must not use the dev tools at all then, because Chrome's are much much better, but as I mentioned, Firefox has caught up somewhat.
I used the javascript console a lot over the years. Never used Firebug, no.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I used the javascript console a lot over the years. Never used Firebug, no.
I don't understand how one can do development and not use the dev tools. I'm assuming you just use console.log to debug values and stuff then. I've converted so many people over the years who did that because it's such a bad way to debug.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
I don't understand how one can do development and not use the dev tools. I'm assuming you just use console.log to debug values and stuff then. I've converted so many people over the years who did that because it's such a bad way to debug.
Mostly been doing .Net web apps, so just setting breakpoints, or adding robust error logging to provide debug info after the app has been deployed.