Mozilla Dev - Everybody hates Firefox updates

FeuerFrei

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2005
We hate sneaky background auto-updates more.

I'm not switching browsers, but I'm sticking with Firefox 11 indefinitely. I require control of the update process.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
tbqhwy.com
why do FF users hate updates? i run Opera mainily and i like updates, i also have FF and the updates never bothered me, the version numbering however is a bit silly. however chrome is worse

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
why do FF users hate updates? i run Opera mainily and i like updates, i also have FF and the updates never bothered me, the version numbering however is a bit silly. however chrome is worse

That's my problem with it. It isn't a big deal, but I find it irritating. If they aren't going to base versioning on feature sets, I'd like to see them make it time based like Ubuntu. Use the year as the major number, and the week as the minor number. IOW, if they released a version today, it would be 12.28.

I like updates too. I download about 30mb on average every day for my O/S updates, and it isn't a problem at all.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Personally I like more frequent updates, but it can be a bit of a hassle sometimes. I hope their update process becomes more streamlined because I have had problems auto updating FF from a non admin user account.

dagamer34

Platinum Member
Aug 15, 2005
We are already at Chrome 22. TWENTY TWO! At some point, if you're iterating every 6 weeks, version numbers make no sense. No one cares what version Gmail is right now, even though internally there's probably a build number as with all software to track bugs and fixes.

ninaholic37

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2012
We hate sneaky background auto-updates more.

I'm not switching browsers, but I'm sticking with Firefox 11 indefinitely. I require control of the update process.
You can turn it off in Firefox 12+. Just go to Control Panel -> Uninstall a Program then uninstall "Mozilla Maintenance Service" and/or go into Firefox's Options -> Advanced -> Update tab and uncheck "Use a background service to install updates". Worked for me.

But whatever you do, don't go to "Help -> About Firefox" or it WILL update you automatically (even in Firefox 11 I think).

jkroeder

Dec 7, 2009
Chrome? You mean the browser with a higher version number and more version releases in 2012 than FF?

(Chrome went from 17-22 so far in 2012. FF from 10-13 so far)

It's not about version numbers. People need to stop focusing on that.

I guess the OP link doesn't work any more but the basic premise of the article was that; Firefox updates = annoying while Chrome updates are essentially seamless.

Phynaz

Lifer
Mar 13, 2006
Chrome? You mean the browser with a higher version number and more version releases in 2012 than FF?

(Chrome went from 17-22 so far in 2012. FF from 10-13 so far)

The browser that doesn't break my extensions every month.

iCyborg

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2008
I agree with the rant: I've hated this "rapid release cycle" since the beginning. I really like when version number means something, instead of being an empty quantity that's only worth something to devs.

I'm still using FF, because I feel Google already knows too much about me to go with Chrome. Yes, even if it means it cannot further the quality of my life by providing me with better targeted ads, I know.... I never liked Opera, and not much choice besides those. More than versioning numbers I'm annoyed that I'm experiencing more and more issues with FF lately. Unexplained instances of freezing my whole PC for like 30-40s, and I had a couple crashes in the last 1-2 months, something that almost never happened with v3.6. And I have only one add-on, the ad blocker.
I might give Opera another try...

ninaholic37

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2012
There`s a stripped down version of Firefox around called Pale Moon, I don`t like the way Firefox is heading so I use PM 3.6.32

http://www.palemoon.org/download-v3.shtml
I'm liking this so far. Downloaded PaleMoon 12.2.1 and the first thing I noticed is that I don't seem to get that annoying hanging/delay on some sites (Facebook wall, Wired, Popsci) on my Atom where I couldn't scroll or do anything originally in Firefox for like 3-4 seconds while it was loading.

I guess that speed increase has to do with one of these. Looks interesting:
http://www.palemoon.org/technical.shtml

Gonna try this exclusively for a few days and see how it goes. :)

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
Yes, I've also been using firefox forever and I've had maybe 2 extensions (that I used once in a while) not work, but they were fixed pretty quickly.
And personally I don't mind if they are able to introduce more new features without waiting.

I've been FF since v3.x and haven't had a single instance of an update breaking an add-on or extension.

Last edited:

IlllI

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2002
There`s a stripped down version of Firefox around called Pale Moon, I don`t like the way Firefox is heading so I use PM 3.6.32

http://www.palemoon.org/download-v3.shtml

thanks, i'll have to check that out. i have been using ff since before it was even called firefox. it was mozilla .07 or something. but i too dislike the direction they are going. i detest those months 'updates' and new and improved version numbers, and whatever other bullshit they are doing to try to mimic chrome. there is a reason why i dont use chrome but it seems like ff is trying to copy just about every aspect.