Moving Windows 7 software RAID to a new machine?

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
I'm in the process of putting together some new core components (CPU, Motherboard, RAM) to replace my existing server and I'm unsure about one thing. My current server has two RAID1 setups implemented via Windows 7 disk management. I want to simply move those arrays over to the new server when I get it up and running but wanted to make sure on the steps. IIRC when I was deciding between hardware and software RAID for my current setup, one of the big advantages of doing the RAID arrays in Windows was that you could transfer said arrays to a new machine very easily.

Does anyone have an experience with this? Am I going to be able to simply move the drives over to the new PC and import the arrays or will they just show up? I want to make sure I do this right since I have just shy of 5tb of data I'd prefer not to have to restore from a backup if I can avoid it.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I'm in the process of putting together some new core components (CPU, Motherboard, RAM) to replace my existing server and I'm unsure about one thing. My current server has two RAID1 setups implemented via Windows 7 disk management. I want to simply move those arrays over to the new server when I get it up and running but wanted to make sure on the steps. IIRC when I was deciding between hardware and software RAID for my current setup, one of the big advantages of doing the RAID arrays in Windows was that you could transfer said arrays to a new machine very easily.

Does anyone have an experience with this? Am I going to be able to simply move the drives over to the new PC and import the arrays or will they just show up? I want to make sure I do this right since I have just shy of 5tb of data I'd prefer not to have to restore from a backup if I can avoid it.

Well, I've never been inclined to use RAID1 only because I couldn't justify two storage drives duplicating data and doubling the power consumption. But it should be straightforward.

I cannot see why Windows wouldn't recognize the array. But if it doesn't, you only need one of those disks to recreate a RAID1 on the new system. You would just have to wait for the RAID1 to rebuild itself.

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
Well, I've never been inclined to use RAID1 only because I couldn't justify two storage drives duplicating data and doubling the power consumption. But it should be straightforward.

I cannot see why Windows wouldn't recognize the array. But if it doesn't, you only need one of those disks to recreate a RAID1 on the new system. You would just have to wait for the RAID1 to rebuild itself.

I'll back the data up anyway before I embark on this endeavor but that sounds promising.

As for RAID1, I do it for the redundancy. I have two 2tb drives I keep on a shelf and use to back up the 4tb array monthly (or after any major relevant changes) so this way I have both a backup and a redundant solution. If this server goes down, wifey approval factor of me investing in computer stuff goes way down and that's no bueno.