Solved! Moving Windows 10 from a 3.5 HDD to an SSD

Jerethi

Aug 20, 2001
I'm considering moving my Windows 10 installation from a 3.5 HDD to an NVMe SSD. I'd like to preserve my current Windows 10 installation and just move it over to the new SSD. Would the following steps do the trick?
  1. Create a Windows 10 system image (using the built-in Windows 7 system image tool)
  2. Restoring the system image on the new SSD
  3. Changing the boot drive in my BIOS settings to direct it to the SSD rather than the 3.5 HDD
It seems deceptively simple...

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
I'm considering moving my Windows 10 installation from a 3.5 HDD to an NVMe SSD. I'd like to preserve my current Windows 10 installation and just move it over to the new SSD. Would the following steps do the trick?
  1. Create a Windows 10 system image (using the built-in Windows 7 system image tool)
  3. Changing the boot drive in my BIOS settings to direct it to the SSD rather than the 3.5 HDD
Not sure about Windows backup - have never used it. Many retail SSDs come with complementary download of cloning software.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I've used EaseUS Todo Backup a few times to do this. Never with an NVMe drive. Once it didn't work for me.

People have said that such migrations can be done with Windows Backup but my experience is of it that the disk in question needs the correct disk ID info from Windows otherwise it won't work. I'm happy to be corrected.

Jerethi

Aug 20, 2001
I've used EaseUS Todo Backup a few times to do this. Never with an NVMe drive. Once it didn't work for me.

People have said that such migrations can be done with Windows Backup but my experience is of it that the disk in question needs the correct disk ID info from Windows otherwise it won't work. I'm happy to be corrected.

Why would an NVMe drive make a difference, do you think? Isn't this the same basic process if a SATA drive fails?

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005

Strongly recommend MiniTool Partition Wizard....it has clone feature that works pretty well. It has worked reliably compared to other cloners.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Some nvme drives require drivers that are not provided in all installs. I forget the details of what windows does since i mostly use linux but windows is anal about drivers.

Why would an NVMe drive make a difference, do you think? Isn't this the same basic process if a SATA drive fails?

Jerethi

Aug 20, 2001
Reporting back on this. I installed the MVNe drive today, cloned Windows 10 over to it via Macrium Reflect and holy bazinga. It's a night and day difference. It's orders of magnitude faster, and didn't have any problems whatsoever (well, it was initially a little hard to get the screw out of my motherboard). Holy cow, it feels like a whole new world!