Moving to SF Bay area soon, what's there to do?

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Since it seems like a lot of ATers live around the SF Bay area, I thought I'd run this question by you all. Later this week my family and I are moving out to Santa Rosa (about 30 miles north of SF) and I would like to do something other than just sit around for the 2.5 weeks before I head back to Iowa and college. So, all you fun loving SF Bay area people, what is there to do around there for someone under 21 (but over 18)?

I realize this might be a broad catagory, so let me narrow it down. I don't mind clubs and all that, but I find it kind of awkward to go by myself and since I won't know anyone... Mostly I just want to have a little fun, maybe meet a few people (although since this will be my last summer there, and except for breaks I won't be coming back, it's not a requirement), and just enjoy the 2.5 weeks instead of wishing I was back at college.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Since it seems like a lot of ATers live around the SF Bay area, I thought I'd run this question by you all. Later this week my family and I are moving out to Santa Rosa (about 30 miles north of SF) and I would like to do something other than just sit around for the 2.5 weeks before I head back to Iowa and college. So, all you fun loving SF Bay area people, what is there to do around there for someone under 21 (but over 18)?

I realize this might be a broad catagory, so let me narrow it down. I don't mind clubs and all that, but I find it kind of awkward to go by myself and since I won't know anyone... Mostly I just want to have a little fun, maybe meet a few people (although since this will be my last summer there, and except for breaks I won't be coming back, it's not a requirement), and just enjoy the 2.5 weeks instead of wishing I was back at college.

Any suggestions would be great, thanks!
Wishing you were back in Bumfsck Iowa instead of being in the awesome Bay Area? Hahaha. Dude, head down the Coast to Santa Cruz and Capitola and check out all the awesome talent (women for those who are terminally ATOTish), Fantastic Weather,Beautiful Beaches and Places to eat. Maybe check and see if the Shoreline has any great shows while you are there. I think Lolapalloza might be happening around then. There also might be some Art and Wine festivals happening.

Also, check out Big Basin and the Coastal Redwoods. Some of the biggest and oldest trees in the world. Castle Rock Park is near Big Basin too if you want to do some hiking and see some great views. Then there is Sausolito, of course San Francisco, the Wine Country, Great America, Marine World,The Winchester Mystery House and for the Geek in you, Fry's Electronics. If you want to check out ineresting old technology you might want to head over to Wierd Stuff in Sunnyvale.

Fianlly, there are great places to eat all over the Bay Area (especially in San Francisco)

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
You're moving to wine country... you're not even there yet, and you're saying "I'm bored. I want to go back to Iowa". There is little hope for you.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Mountain Biking on Mt.Tamalpais, Kayaking on the Bay, Salmon Fishing on the Bay and up the Delta.
Surfing from Salt Point to Santa Cruz. Good for Great White Watching, too .....
Dillon's Beach out by Point Reyes has a great sandy beach. Good shore fishing there also.
Crab season is about to start, I think. A combination Crab / Salmon fishing trip.... see where my mind is at?
The Concord Pavilion (Chronicle Pavilion) is warmer in the evening than Shoreline and closer to Santa Rosa.
Fry's Electronics of Course.....
Clubbin' in SF.... although I'm out of that scene, I hear there are some "places to be seen".
The Fillmore Auditorium has great shows, stand and soak up the vibe.
For just plain stuff to see... Pier 39 is a good place to start. Go see the Aquarium By the Bay. I 've done some sound work there and I'm always diggin the exhibits.
Exploratorium by the Palace of Fine Arts and the Marina is a great place to hang, fly a kite, check out the "views" ;)
Check out PacBell Park and the Giants......
Take the Ferry from Sausalito to SF...... or the Red &White Cruise......

Watch out for the Tenderloin, a very seedy area of SF. Pimps, thieves, ho's, druggies, she-males, be aware of where you are in the City.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Of course being from Iowa you'd feel right at home in the Castro District.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: iwearnosox
The girl I had my first 3some with was from Santa Rosa.

Nice town. :)
One girl plus you and your boyfriend? You were the one with no sox?

Kenny

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2002
Originally posted by: AlienCraft
Watch out for the Tenderloin, a very seedy area of SF. Pimps, thieves, ho's, druggies, she-males, be aware of where you are in the City.

Yes. I used to live there. It sucks. Somewhat close to the tourist attractions in SF though, so its not hard to go there accidentally.

Other than that, AlienCraft pretty much has setup your stay in the Bay.

Ranger X

Lifer
Mar 18, 2000
SF is a change of scenary from LA. I wouldn't mind living there if it wasn't for the expensive parking. We paid $38/night just to park at a hotel that we stayed at.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: t60

Yes. I used to live there. It sucks. Somewhat close to the tourist attractions in SF though, so its not hard to go there accidentally.

Thanks... I got to do the Cliff notes version of that with the nephew a couple of weeks ago.
I forgot to mention ... Dinner at Skates in Berkeley . The BEST view of the GG bridge, if it 's not too foggy.
BTW, I forgot to say, although temps outside the actual SF / Oakland area may range into the 90's / 100's, the SF area gets the On shore Flow and can be very Chilly.
We can tell who the tourists are , cause they're the one's turning blue because they didn't bring any layers.
Evenings can get to the 50's. Carry a light jacket/ Sweatshirt/ Sweater.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Originally posted by: t60

Thanks... I got to do the Cliff notes version of that with the nephew a couple of weeks ago.
I forgot to mention ... Dinner at Skates in Berkeley . The BEST view of the GG bridge, if it 's not too foggy.
BTW, I forgot to say, although temps outside the actual SF / Oakland area may range into the 90's / 100's, the SF area gets the On shore Flow and can be very Chilly.
We can tell who the tourists are , cause they're the one's turning blue because they didn't bring any layers.
Evenings can get to the 50's. Carry a light jacket/ Sweatshirt/ Sweater.
That's why those in the know go elsewhere than Frisco!

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: Ranger X
SF is a change of scenary from LA. I wouldn't mind living there if it wasn't for the expensive parking. We paid $38/night just to park at a hotel that we stayed at.

Owning a car in SF is a constant battle for parking. Hotels really stick it to you. Fisherman's Wharf can get pricey, too.
Hint: Park down on The Embarcadero during the day and use public Transportation. Typically $10.00/ day.

loosliptcomptrola

Jun 17, 2001
Believe it or not I just discovered downtown Sunnyvale where there is 3 to 1 man to woman ratio! Off da heezy, to say the least... I'm going there this Friday. :)

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: notfred
You're moving to wine country... you're not even there yet, and you're saying "I'm bored. I want to go back to Iowa". There is little hope for you.

No no no, you've got it all wrong :) I know things to do in Iowa because I spend so much time there. Mostly it involves other people though since Iowa all by itself is pretty bad, but that's not the point. I'm just looking for some heads ups about things to do in the SF bay area so I don't have to find it all myself only to have to go right back to Iowa. Got to make the most of my 2.5 weeks, right? :p

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Originally posted by: loosliptcomptrola
Believe it or not I just discovered downtown Sunnyvale where there is 3 to 1 man to woman ratio! Off da heezy, to say the least... I'm going there this Friday. :)
3 men to 1 woman.....
Sounds like the Castro to me..... :Q

jonnyjack

Platinum Member
Oct 13, 1999
go to the a's game this wednesday...upper deck seats are only $2 and the hot dogs are only $1...also the yankees are coming to town fri-sun...

not interested in baseball? read the other post, they mentioned tons of stuff to do...

csyberblue

Aug 1, 2002
I've never been to san francisco, but I do know that the techtv shows are aired there. So maybe you could go see a taping of the screensavers or unscrewed.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
ugh movie theater? dunno:p we're kinda boring. the coast is nice though. and well skiing is good in the winter, both close drives.

stay away from amc, they show ads.century doesn't as much.

theres the sf moma, they are showing chagal right now.