moving into a small house with two roommates

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
Originally posted by: SirStev0
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer
Hopefully it won't end up like this guy (don't forget to read pages 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and 9).

I actually just read that. OMG. Crazy ass story.

Reminds me of a similar one involving roommates going crazy and turning into a lesbian cult thing. All I really remember is that it all took place at Penn State and revolved around them believing they were really characters in a jRPG.

Wow that it hot.

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
If you have a bad feeling about it, then yeah, its probably not a good place for you.

Just make the best of it...don't be the stupid introverted room mate that no one sees. Everyone talks about you and makes fun of you. I have been on both sides of the coin, the introverted room mate, then I become the outgoing room mate. I like being the latter far more.

Either move the fuck out, or suck it up and become outgoing. Throw a huge party, get drunk, get high, bang some chicks, do something that you guys can bond over and call it a day.

swbsam

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2007
I'm an introvert as well and roommates helped me break out of my shell a lot. My first roommate situation was with 4 gay guys and 2 hipster girls (think real world, but with more body hair everywhere) and, lemme tell you, it exposed me to things that I was not exposed to before.. Which is good.. New experiences, even if it's screaming at your bitch roommate for erasing Buffy (when you paid the damn cable bill!) make you who you are.

Saint Nick

Lifer
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: swbsam
I'm an introvert as well and roommates helped me break out of my shell a lot. My first roommate situation was with 4 gay guys and 2 hipster girls (think real world, but with more body hair everywhere) and, lemme tell you, it exposed me to things that I was not exposed to before.. Which is good.. New experiences, even if it's screaming at your bitch roommate for erasing Buffy (when you paid the damn cable bill!) make you who you are.

Agreed. Lots of my experiences so far are somewhat defined by who I have been living with.

lifeobry

Golden Member
Oct 24, 2008
Roommate situations are best (or acceptable) when you're not 'friends', but just two (or more) ADULTS (emphasis added) that are living together to reduce expenses, with similar views on how day to day operations should go.

Rooming with a friend/acquaintance/stranger w/o much thought is a recipe for disaster.

AreaCode707

Lifer
Sep 21, 2001
I've been living with 6 roommates (total of 7 people) in a large house for the last three years. It can work out just fine. If you're an introvert just keep to your own space and don't feel obligated to interact a lot. You're paying for your room, you don't owe them a best friend simply because you share living quarters.

queenrobot

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2007
I just lost a friendship of five years after my husband and I parted ways with our roommate. The next person who rooms with me besides my husband will be my offspring.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: jingramm
not really close enough to be called friends, but we know each other.
I'm somewhat of an introvert and I started moving in my things today and I already get a bad feeling about this.
I am expecting it to be uncomfortable living in such close quarters. I would get my own place but I can't afford it now. I'm in my mid 20s. Has anyone been in a similar situation?

Don't be such a nerd and branch out and have fun with them.

swbsam

Platinum Member
Dec 29, 2007
I will add that, of course, you should lock your door. I didn't and noticed things would go.. Missing.. I don't think people even thought of it as stealing, they would just borrow it based on me being a generally friendly person, then take advantage of such friendliness.

On another note, don't let yourself get taken advantage of. I've kicked roommates out for not paying bills, etc. and being put in that situation allowed me to learn how to stand my ground. in other words, at that moment it was a bit shitty to deal with, but it put some hair on my chest and made me a little smarter....

And, yeah, moving in with your best friend seems like the greatest of ideas, but isn't usually. not saying you shouldn't do it - you should learn from your mistakes...

Biggest reason you should give the roommate experience a try: I appreciate NOT having roommates so much more because I've had roommates.. One of the first things I did when I finally got my own place was watch TV naked... It was an amazingly freeing experience, freeing because I used to live under the tyranny of roommates before, and now I was free!

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: swbsam
I will add that, of course, you should lock your door. I didn't and noticed things would go.. Missing.. I don't think people even thought of it as stealing, they would just borrow it based on me being a generally friendly person, then take advantage of such friendliness.

On another note, don't let yourself get taken advantage of. I've kicked roommates out for not paying bills, etc. and being put in that situation allowed me to learn how to stand my ground. in other words, at that moment it was a bit shitty to deal with, but it put some hair on my chest and made me a little smarter....

And, yeah, moving in with your best friend seems like the greatest of ideas, but isn't usually. not saying you shouldn't do it - you should learn from your mistakes...

Biggest reason you should give the roommate experience a try: I appreciate NOT having roommates so much more because I've had roommates.. One of the first things I did when I finally got my own place was watch TV naked... It was an amazingly freeing experience, freeing because I used to live under the tyranny of roommates before, and now I was free!

Friendly...pushover maybe. You are having guests come and you are bitching about a few meals in another thread.

bobdole369

Diamond Member
Dec 15, 2004
Roomies can be good, and bad. I lived with another dude for about 2 years, great times, we were good friends, we did stuff together, went out to places, got shitfaced a bunch, hunted chicks together, but in the end, he got pretty down over some girl and it ended pretty badly. Still friends, but not good buddies anymore.

Another time my wife and I (not married then) lived with her BFF for 3 years - totally destroyed that friendship, mostly due to the guy her friend was seeing - it was really fucked up.

I had to move out of another place with this roommate that turned out to be OCD clean freak. Oh and he was dating really underage chicks, like 15 yr olds when he was like 23. Bad idea to be in that house.

Another time I live with my good friend, 2 years of fun for all. His Gf was cheating on him and cuz of me and bro's before hoes, he totally caught em like pants down in-the-midst and there was no denying.

So it can be good and bad, in my experience, generally roomies are good. Just make sure you watch your stuff till you trust em.

AlienCraft

Lifer
Nov 23, 2002
Walk into the room naked, get it over with.
You'll be fine. Roommates are rarely as psychotic as the movies show.

xanis

Lifer
Sep 11, 2005
Originally posted by: Quintox
Originally posted by: coxmaster
Originally posted by: secretanchitman
Originally posted by: fleabag
Originally posted by: GodlessAstronomer
Hopefully it won't end up like this guy (don't forget to read pages 2,3,4,5,6,7,8 and 9).

amazing story

wow thats crazy!!!! very entertaining read...

Wow no kidding.. Thats insane.

I thought my roommate who spies on me with a "security" camera was bad..

I just spend about 30 minutes reading all of that. That is the single best story I have ever read on the internet, and I am not joking. Thx Godless for the link.

I completely agree. Holy fucking shit.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: AlienCraft
Walk into the room naked, get it over with.
You'll be fine. Roommates are rarely as psychotic as the movies show.

but people are dangerous...they may even have H1N1 or be terrorists.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
roomates are a pain in the ass actually. The best roomates are girls because they aren't in your face filthy fvcks like guys.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
roomates are a pain in the ass actually. The best roomates are girls because they aren't in your face filthy fvcks like guys.

Girls may clean prior to guests...but about everyone I know with a chick roommate said they were slobs.

Most that have 'chick roommates' are actually in a boyfriend/girlfriend situation (bad) so are blind.