Movie Trilogies at Target B&M $8.99

Status
Not open for further replies.

arrfep

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2006
Just across these while doing some Christmas shopping at Target. They're each a single DVD with multiple movies on it. My store had

Superman I-IV
Batman/Returns/Forever/& Robin
Matrix Trilogy + Animatrix
Blade Trilogy + fourth movie (maybe TV series Pilot?)
Lethal Weapon I-!V
Riddick Trilogy
Police Academy 1-IV
Austin Powers 1-3 +

Some others I don't remember. Figured they'd be a good gift for that person you need to shop for but only know vaguely what they like and don't want to spend a lot of money on.

Edit: They appear to have them online as well. Here's the Batman collection: http://www.target.com/Batman-Collec...1&searchRank=price&searchPage=2&searchSize=30

Last edited:

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
Yeah, I've pretty much promised myself that I wouldn't buy any more DVDs. BluRay only from here on out.

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
The quality with 3 movies on a single DL DVD must be stunning.

Think I'll pass, it's a good deal for people still watching SDTV tho.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Actually it's 3-4 DVDs in a single case. I know, I've bought the Lethal Weapon & Matrix series from other places. These have been around a while, normally $9.99 at most places.

mvbighead

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2009
The quality with 3 movies on a single DL DVD must be stunning.

Think I'll pass, it's a good deal for people still watching SDTV tho.

I would assume it is quite possible that they use both sides of the disk, as I have several old DVDs that had a wide-screen and full-screen side, and no pretty label on the disk itself, as both sides contain data. Nonetheless, it's still DVD quality, and not BluRay, but $9 for a 4 disk set of movies isn't a bad deal at all, $2.25 a movie.

Personally, I definitely prefer BluRay, but a deal like this is worth consideration for most, especially in the "oops forgot to get X a gift."

Blayze

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2000
These sets are multiple disc sets. Some are flippers and use both sides, and some have individual discs for each title.

rsolomon

Dec 15, 2001
Thanks OP, might have to check a few of these out at this price!

Yeah, I've pretty much promised myself that I wouldn't buy any more DVDs. BluRay only from here on out.

Contrarian: I've promised myself that I will not buy *ANYTHING* Blu-Ray. I refuse to reward Sony's protectionist anti-competitive practices with a single penny of my money. I may well be forced to revise that in a few years, but my plan is absolutely to skip the Blue-Pay generation entirely.

Richard

erwos

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2005
Contrarian: I've promised myself that I will not buy *ANYTHING* Blu-Ray. I refuse to reward Sony's protectionist anti-competitive practices with a single penny of my money. I may well be forced to revise that in a few years, but my plan is absolutely to skip the Blue-Pay generation entirely.
I was an HD-DVD advocate, too, but that war is lost. Give it up. I personally didn't buy a nice new HDTV to NOT watch high-quality sources on it...

arrfep

Platinum Member
Sep 7, 2006
Actually it's 3-4 DVDs in a single case. I know, I've bought the Lethal Weapon & Matrix series from other places. These have been around a while, normally $9.99 at most places.

Sweet, thanks for the info. I was actually a bit worried about how they would fit 4 full-length movies on one disc.

Personally, I definitely prefer BluRay, but a deal like this is worth consideration for most, especially in the "oops forgot to get X a gift."

This is pretty much the reason I posted it. I mean, what man wouldn't appreciate getting the Lethal Weapon series?

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003
Thanks OP, might have to check a few of these out at this price!

Richard

You do know that was the same thing the HD camp was doing, right? I hate Sony as passionately as you do but fuck it's just a movie format at this point. I got over HD losing the battle. I still haven't gotten a BR player but will next year as the prices keep plummeting. I had the same mindset as you - skip BR entirely, but it'll be another 5-10 years before the next big thing arrives, and yet another vicious cycle of buying new hardware and a proprietary format.

rsolomon

Dec 15, 2001
You do know that was the same thing the HD camp was doing, right?

Yes, but not until Sony started the competing format thing. DVD is/was run by an open standards body, HD-DVD was the evolution of that, Sony didn't want to play, started their own closed standard and then began bribing studios. Sure, HD-DVD had to bribe studios too once that happened.... Suck Fony.

I agree, 5-10 yrs might make me change my mind, but since I'm at a point in my life where I don't watch many movies (read "have kids") then I don't feel any pressure to buy into BR. My current HT setup does a great job and I'll re-evaluate when the kids are grown or my equipment breaks down, or whatever.

Anyway, sorry for taking us off-topic, just felt compelled to reply to the BR-only comment - I probably shoulda kept my mouth shut ;)

Richard

Krakn3Dfx

Platinum Member
Sep 29, 2000
I would assume it is quite possible that they use both sides of the disk, as I have several old DVDs that had a wide-screen and full-screen side, and no pretty label on the disk itself, as both sides contain data. Nonetheless, it's still DVD quality, and not BluRay, but $9 for a 4 disk set of movies isn't a bad deal at all, $2.25 a movie.

Agreed, sorry, didn't mean to sound like it wasn't a good deal, definitely is for someone looking for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.