Moved NAS HDD to regular PC... problems?

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I recently updated the storage in my HTPC and pulled 2 3TB HDD's out and swapped them into my desktop PC. One of the 3TB drives is a WD Red NAS drive, I installed it in my HTPC probably 3 years ago as a backup drive, so it saw very little use. Because this drive is intended for NAS duty, are there going to be any problems just using it as a storage drive in a regular PC? I know there are some FW differences, but I don't really know if it makes a difference in the long run...

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
It won't be nearly as fast as it could be, but if you don't mind that it will work.
Its going from a HTPC to a different desktop. It will not make a difference. without more information, im not sure how thats the conclusion.

OP, the only potential problem I can see is drive formatting. What was the format in use in the HTPC, and will the new OS see it ok.

If its just NTFS, no worries...

physically, no issues

Last edited:

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
OP, the only potential problem I can see is drive formatting. What was the format in use in the HTPC, and will the new OS see it ok.

If its just NTFS, no worries...

physically, no issues

I wiped it, anyway, before I installed it in the main PC.

I had forgotten it was a 5400rpm drive, I wondered why it was taking so long to copy data vs the other 3TB drive... a Seagate Barracuda.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
then it wont give you any issues. the whirlpool link is a good read though, sheds light on why NAS drives are better in a RAID

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
read the link, its not the speed thats the issue with the NAS drives standalone.

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I just realized I also stuck a NAS HGST 6TB drive in the HTPC... to replace the RED. Maybe I just need to build a NAS and be done with it...