Moved downtown - what to do with cars

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
Sell one of the cars. When you move out of the city keep to a single car, and commute to work together. Save money.

Last edited:

Sidekicknichola

Feb 7, 2012
When you move out of the city keep to a single car, and commute to work together. Save money.
No real way this will work.

She works in the heart of downtown, I work 12 miles south of that in the burbs.... and our hours aren't exactly the same. The best we could do is live in St. Paul and I could drop her at the MOA to hop the train in the morning, but again, with hours not lining up it would be a pain.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
No real way this will work.

She works in the heart of downtown, I work 12 miles south of that in the burbs.... and our hours aren't exactly the same. The best we could do is live in St. Paul and I could drop her at the MOA to hop the train in the morning, but again, with hours not lining up it would be a pain.

If you have already moved and there is access to public transportation for either of you; then dump one car.

If you are comfortable being completely dependent on shoe leather and public transportation then think of the savings with no vehicles.

If/when you get a place out of the city; then see if you will need two vehicles; Get them after the house if needed.

Sidekicknichola

Feb 7, 2012
you have already moved and there is access to public transportation for either of you; then dump one car.
This has happened so far... but the one car we kept, I hate sooooo much, might try and swap it for something less boring. The nice thing is by selling my car, it paid for hers in full and allowed for me to pocket some cash too. So we have no payments at the moment, and her accord's insurance is peanuts.

If you are comfortable being completely dependent on shoe leather and public transportation then think of the savings with no vehicles.
I could hit a golf ball from her office to our condo, so she walks every day.... and I couuuuld take a bus but via car takes me 18 mins door to door and is costing ~$60/mo. in gas.... the bus would take around 80 minutes and a bus pass would cast me like $80/mo.... really hard for me to justify adding 2 hours commute time to save insurance and cheap honda maintenance costs

If/when you get a place out of the city; then see if you will need two vehicles; Get them after the house if needed.
This is/was the plan by selling the first car. I'm hoping she'll let met scoop up something I actually want to drive / keep for a few years. She would like a small SUV (don't know why since she never hauls more than a purse and we don't have kids).... so hopefully I can argue we would sell her car come house time anyway to get her the SUV, so why not sell her car now to get me something I would enjoy driving and her SUV later.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
It was the smokey granite mica (dark metallic grey)

It had every option besides the ML sound system.
408951_807838340182_925638568_n.jpg

Wow. I would have totally snagged that. Damn!

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000

This is/was the plan by selling the first car. I'm hoping she'll let met scoop up something I actually want to drive / keep for a few years. She would like a small SUV (don't know why since she never hauls more than a purse and we don't have kids).... so hopefully I can argue we would sell her car come house time anyway to get her the SUV, so why not sell her car now to get me something I would enjoy driving and her SUV later.

This is then showing to her that you are upset about selling your vehicle and your desires are coming before the house/her car.

No matter how good of a relationship you have; this is asking for trouble.

From her POV, it is "sell both vehicles and get me the small SUV; this way the vehicle is fully paid off by the time we look for a house. then you can get your toy"!

Sidekicknichola

Feb 7, 2012
From her POV, it is "sell both vehicles and get me the small SUV; this way the vehicle is fully paid off by the time we look for a house. then you can get your toy"!

My logic behind it is this -
I have found a car I would like to jump on - 2006 Acura RL SH-AWD, 1 owner, 104k, every single service record from the dealer it was bought from (same dealer selling now) and it would be a $4,000 additional cost to the accord. This RL just got:
105k maintenance done (timing elements, spark plugs, etc etc)
Tires still have rubber nubs on them (brand new)

Her Accord is at 90k right now so in the next year will need:
105k service (expecting around $1000 from indie shop)
tires are about to become worthless, so that will be another ~$400
and in the next year it will break 100k and based on KBB, going from 5 digits on the ODO to 6 digits means a $1500 loss in value over the next 10,000 miles.

The RL has taken its 100k hit, has all the services done (since day one with proof) and new tires.... it sure makes up that 4k difference very quickly as well as being a heck of a lot nicer to drive.

Sidekicknichola

Feb 7, 2012
So I emailed my fiance the logic I had above in a spreadsheet breaking it all down and this was the response I got:

YOU ARE GOING ON A DIET AND A RUNNING WITH ME FOR THE NEXT 7 MONTHS IF WE DO THIS.
NO MORE DEW.
NO MORE BEING A LAZY PILE
LEAN MEATS
VEGETABLES
LESS CARBS

*Excuse her caps (her work computer usually has caps-lock on*

Thought it was pretty funny.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
So I emailed my fiance the logic I had above in a spreadsheet breaking it all down and this was the response I got:

YOU ARE GOING ON A DIET AND A RUNNING WITH ME FOR THE NEXT 7 MONTHS IF WE DO THIS.
NO MORE DEW.
NO MORE BEING A LAZY PILE
LEAN MEATS
VEGETABLES
LESS CARBS

*Excuse her caps (her work computer usually has caps-lock on*

Thought it was pretty funny.

And .... :confused:

Sidekicknichola

Feb 7, 2012
Drove home the Acura last night.

The dealer gave us exactly what we paid for the Accord 3 years ago (bought it from my grandma so we got a deal), I also got him down on the Acura price an additional $750.

She has almost no credit so we added her to the title and financed a very small amount instead of paying cash, just for her to build her credit....

Only have had the car for a night and this morning, but so far I haven't found anything I hate about it yet.
Things I've like in the past 16 hours -
* Zippy engine
* AWD / traction system works amazing, I would say it 1-ups the Lexus.
* Seats are amazingly comfortable
* Nav system is a little foreign at first, but starting to get the hang of it
* Smooooooooth ride compared to the IS2 (that purposefully had stiffer suspension though)
* Almost no road noise, crazy quiet in the cabin
* The interior looks about a week old, it is perfect

Since this thing was so perfectly maintained I'm hoping I can take it to at least 200k without too much issue.

EagleKeeper

Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
  • YOU ARE GOING ON A DIET
  • RUNNING WITH ME FOR THE NEXT 7 MONTHS
  • NO MORE DEW.
  • NO MORE BEING A LAZY PILE
  • LEAN MEATS
  • VEGETABLES
  • LESS CARBS

How are you doing on the above checklist that you implicitly agreed to :p

Sidekicknichola

Feb 7, 2012
I watched her pour out 2.5 liters of Mountain Dew last night. We're going grocery shopping tonight for "healthy food". I brought my lunch to work today.... which is crazy, what I spend on food for lunch going out a month makes enough to cover the tiny payment and my gas.

Lazy pile is subject, I play soccer like 3 times a week, so I do get exercise.... but since college I've probably added 30 lbs. Damn desk jobs.

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
I don't even understand why people drink soda, it's just unhealthy sugar and no added value. You can't taste your dinner with that shit, and if you're thirsty during the day just drink tap water.
I think it's a good deal, the diet and lazy pile things can be bent easily anyway.
Taking your lunch from home is a really good idea especially if you're trying to spare money, plus it's often healthier. If your workplace has a microwave, you're set.