Question Mouse wakens suspended Win10 laptop

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
It wasn't doing it, I mean for a couple years, at least. Suddenly, without warning, without my having installed anything, made any changes to the computer, it's snapping awake if my Logitech M325 cordless USB mouse is even slightly moved.

I go into the mouse properties, Power Management and sure enough "Allow this device to wake the computer" is checked. I uncheck it, close Settings, put the machine to sleep the way I always do (close the cover) and moving the mouse still wakens the Lenovo T60 laptop (which is running Windows 10 32bit).

I go back into Settings and see that the checkbox remains unchecked.

I reboot the machine, the problem persists.

The M325 mouse has a switch on the bottom, On/Off. I switch it Off, put the laptop to sleep and moving the mouse still wakens the machine.

What could be afoot here?

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Any Logitech software possibly overriding the system setting?
Well, I didn't install any Logitech software. Just plugged the tiny USB dongle into USB port on computer and Windows found whatever driver it felt was appropriate and it worked. Been using these M325 mice for near 10 years, must have around 4-5 of them.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Go in to Device Manager. In the keyboard section, do you happen to have multiple keyboards (especially "Logitech HID-compliant unifying keyboard" devices) showing there? And, might one of them happen to be mis-identified as your M325 mouse?

If so, try going to the power management tab for that particular device and uncheck the "allow the device to wake the computer". Hopefully, this will resolve the issue for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muse

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001

It is a known issue with Logitech wireless mice that they sometimes (as illogical as it may sound) show up in Device Manager as being both a mouse AND a keyboard. It has something to do with how the drivers work with that USB dongle (which has the capability to connect multiple devices besides mice). Disabling the ability to wake the machine in the mouse power tab may not prevent it from doing so if it is also present as a "keyboard" without disabling it there as well.

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed run from a command prompt should tell you what devices are allowed to wake the machine. If it shows one or more "Logitech HID-compliant Unifying keyboard" and you don't have a Logitech wireless keyboard, it is an indicator that the mouse exists in multiple Device Manager categories.

Last edited:

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
It is a known issue with Logitech wireless mice that they sometimes (as illogical as it may sound) show up as both keyboards and mice. It has something to do with how the drivers work with that USB dongle. Disabling the ability to wake the machine in the mouse power tab may not prevent it from doing so if it is also present as a "keyboard" without disabling it there as well.

powercfg -devicequery wake_armed run from a command prompt should tell you what devices are allowed to wake the machine.
That's why I removed my post.:p The OP might want to also make sure to remove his ethernet adapter from waking the pc.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yes! Odd as it may seem, there was a 2nd keyboard device in Device Manager:

HID Keyboard Device

Properties/Power Management for that revealed that it wakens the computer. Unchecked that box and now, moving the mouse does not waken the computer. Seems like that should not be necessary. Don't know if it's Logitech or Microsoft to blame for that. What mystifies me as much or more is why this only started happening a week or two ago. :confused:

Ya know, I faced this same issue a few years ago and I had a vague idea this time that there was another device whose properties I had to modify to stop this, but it didn't get focus without posting this thread. Well, hopefully it not only helps me, but others with this problem. Still, I'm mystified why I didn't have the problem in 2019 and before but only ~2020ish. Peculiar for sure.

Reactions: Assimilator1

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
If you are running Windows 10, it is possible one of the feature updates may have reset the power management settings. Logitech has known this has been an ongoing problem with their wireless keyboards and mice for many, many years. However, they either won't or (more likely, given how long it has been going on) can't fix it.