Mouse stops working momentarily in games (anyone had a USB controller go bad?)

plonk420

Feb 6, 2004
quite annoyingly (especially in intense team/coop games like MOBAs, L4D2, BL2) my mouse stops responding for ~.5-2 seconds, complete with USB disconnect sound.

this effects multiple mice (2 Logitech and an MS). both back panel ports and USB expansion ports. it lasts thru reboots. i only just noticed this next fact my last gaming session, but it's not due to a freeze as i can continue to run around (tho i just hooked up a PS/2 keyboard). it affects a powered USB hub hooked to the back USB ports. i've tried removing all but the necessary devices (mouse, usb soundcard (i don't experience any sound dropouts in or out of games, and i play a crap-ton of music))

i also keep Task Manager open to see if something's causing CPU usage to spike on a core or more when outside of games, but i don't notice anything (i think it's not as bad outside of games). and speaking of trying to catch it, i've tried to look at the sensor to see if it goes out, but i can never catch it.

and i think it's getting worse (which is why i first tried removing other USB devices a little while back ... i thought it was fixed, but came back weeks later).

a few hours ago after perusing gaming mice, and realizing that a new mouse might not help, i considered getting a USB card, but realized that i don't have free space on my microATX board (gigabyte NIC (onboard is being used for a separate network), Radeon 5870 with cooler that takes up 3 slots). and it's almost not worth getting a new one of the same (for an i7 860 on LGA1156) at the moment as it's a decent financial burden at the moment.

system performance seems just fine as like i said games don't freeze during or outside of the mouse problem. and i watch maybe 2 hours of video every couple of days (a couple of TV shows as well as 10-bit anime, as well as going back on an x264 and x265 encoding kick and doing a lot of encode testing. oh, and since i bring up encoding, i'm never encoding when i run into the mouse issue in games, nor are they any worse when i'm loading 1-2 or even all cores when i AM encoding).

so anywho, ideas? has anyone had a USB controller go bad? that's the only thing i can think of that would affect all ports but also have the disconnect/reconnect sound...

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
I have seen identical symptoms which ended up being a dying motherboard. In both of the cases i dealt with it the board died within a few months, the sata controller went next IIRC. I would check for bulging capacitors.

quite annoyingly (especially in intense team/coop games like MOBAs, L4D2, BL2) my mouse stops responding for ~.5-2 seconds, complete with USB disconnect sound.

this effects multiple mice (2 Logitech and an MS). both back panel ports and USB expansion ports. it lasts thru reboots. i only just noticed this next fact my last gaming session, but it's not due to a freeze as i can continue to run around (tho i just hooked up a PS/2 keyboard). it affects a powered USB hub hooked to the back USB ports. i've tried removing all but the necessary devices (mouse, usb soundcard (i don't experience any sound dropouts in or out of games, and i play a crap-ton of music))

i also keep Task Manager open to see if something's causing CPU usage to spike on a core or more when outside of games, but i don't notice anything (i think it's not as bad outside of games). and speaking of trying to catch it, i've tried to look at the sensor to see if it goes out, but i can never catch it.

and i think it's getting worse (which is why i first tried removing other USB devices a little while back ... i thought it was fixed, but came back weeks later).

a few hours ago after perusing gaming mice, and realizing that a new mouse might not help, i considered getting a USB card, but realized that i don't have free space on my microATX board (gigabyte NIC (onboard is being used for a separate network), Radeon 5870 with cooler that takes up 3 slots). and it's almost not worth getting a new one of the same (for an i7 860 on LGA1156) at the moment as it's a decent financial burden at the moment.

system performance seems just fine as like i said games don't freeze during or outside of the mouse problem. and i watch maybe 2 hours of video every couple of days (a couple of TV shows as well as 10-bit anime, as well as going back on an x264 and x265 encoding kick and doing a lot of encode testing. oh, and since i bring up encoding, i'm never encoding when i run into the mouse issue in games, nor are they any worse when i'm loading 1-2 or even all cores when i AM encoding).

so anywho, ideas? has anyone had a USB controller go bad? that's the only thing i can think of that would affect all ports but also have the disconnect/reconnect sound...

plonk420

Feb 6, 2004
anything to look for if all solid caps?

edit: oh, looks like some are not solid...

plonk420

Feb 6, 2004
sad to say, i skirted the issue by hooking mouse up by PS/2 (woo, who knew those USB to PS/2 would some day come in handy??), struggled with drivers for a bit, and am back up and running. i guess i'll see if i notice a difference in gaming...

(there's running hardware leaning against my case, so i didn't want to relocate it super carefully)

will report if i open case out of frustration and find something of note...

plonk420

Feb 6, 2004
tl;dr: i fixed it

just to follow up on this, the following happened:

on PS/2, my mouse started spazzing out (the slightest of movement would make it go all over the screen) for a few dozen seconds.

so after living with that for some weeks, Black Friday hit, and i couldn't resist the urge to get an R9 290 for a really REALLY good price.

it runs great, i have my fun with 3DMark *.*, some demoscene demos, and a dozen hours of BL2. however, i notice that every so often, my monitor would black out, then Windows would report that driver has crashed and successfully recovered. only on desktop.

so i disconnect 1 of my 2 100 watt bitcoin mining blades. still happens. and now while i'm at work, i come home to find my computer at the login screen. it's restarted.

i disconnect the second one. it still happens.

so now i'm expecting to have to get a new motherboard.

on a whim, fully expecting nothing to change, i swap out my classic red PC Power and Cooling Silencer (pre-OCZ) with a nearly unused also 750 or 760 watt post-OCZ PCP&C power supply. and everything is fixed. including mouse and keyboard issues. i didn't think that a power supply could go weird like that while still being able to deliver the power...!

Last edited: