Mountain Dew is potent!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000
Originally posted by: Millennium
Originally posted by: Descartes
Originally posted by: Viper GTS
Penguin Mints

Three mints = one Mt Dew, there's a 24 pack + one more can for good measure in every tin.

Viper GTS

:Q

Nope, not quite. 3 mints equals ABOUT one can of COLA. Mountain Dew has about twice the amount of caffeine that cola has, meaning you would need SIX mints to equal a can of Dew.

Also, Jolt does not have that much caffeine. One 20oz bottle has the equivalent of one cup of coffee - which, depending on the style and/or "assembly" of the coffee, has anywhere from 80-150mg of caffeine per 8 ounces - making the caffeine equivalent for a 20oz Jolt that of aprox. 2 cans of cola, or the same of Dew.

<-- resident caffeine retar...er...enthusiast.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I heard too much Mountain Dew makes your wee-wee grow negative... any truth to this matter or was I really that dumb when I was 15 ?

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
There is also Vivarin and No-Doz, though they are generaly hard to find, and never take more than 2-3, AND NEVER CHASE THEM WITH JOLT/ENERGY DRINKS (please take my word on this one) caffeine in very large amounts is halucinogenic.

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000
Originally posted by: CrackRabbit
There is also Vivarin and No-Doz, though they are generaly hard to find, and never take more than 2-3, AND NEVER CHASE THEM WITH JOLT/ENERGY DRINKS (please take my word on this one) caffeine in very large amounts is halucinogenic.

Bullshit. I OD'ed at well over 2 gramms(2,000 mgs) a couple weeks back within a few minutes and I had no problems to speak of other than seeing my heart flop around under my shirt...

Edit: What else were you on? :p

LordMaul

Lifer
Nov 16, 2000
Originally posted by: rh71
I heard too much Mountain Dew makes your wee-wee grow negative... any truth to this matter or was I really that dumb when I was 15 ?

Myth. It's the color, yellow #5, and it's been proven wrong.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Here's some information directly from the horse's mouth (the Caffeine FAQ):

Afri-Cola 100.0 (?)
Red Bull 80 (per 250 ml)
Jolt 71.2
Sugar-Free Mr. Pibb 58.8
Pepsi One 55.5
Mountain Dew 55.0 (no caffeine in Canada)
Diet Mountain Dew 55.0
Kick citrus 54 (36mg per 8oz can, caffeine from guarana)
Mello Yellow 52.8
Surge 51.0
Tab 46.8
Battery energy drink -- 140mg/l = 46.7mg/can
Coca-Cola 45.6
Shasta Cola 44.4
Shasta Cherry Cola 44.4
Shasta Diet Cola 44.4
Mr. Pibb 40.8
OK Soda 40.5
Sunkist orange 40
Dr. Pepper 39.6
Storm 38
Big Red 38
Pepsi Cola 37.2
Aspen 36.0
Diet Pepsi 35.4
RC Cola 36.0
Diet RC 36.0
Canada Dry Cola 30.0
Barq's Root Beer 23
Canada Dry Diet Cola 1.2
7 Up 0
Diet Rite Cola 0
Sprite 0
Mug Root Beer 0
Diet Barq's Root Beer 0
Sundrop Orange 0
Minute Maid Orange 0
A & W Root Beer 0

As you can see, Jolt doesn't have a significant amount of caffeine over regular sodas. The part that seemed a little funny to me is that the Canadian version of Mt. Dew doesn't contain any caffeine. :confused:

I think you're better off to moderate your caffeine intake and take a break every 30 minutes to get a little fresh air. This would do a whole lot more for your concentration and attempt to stay awake than loading yourself up on caffeine. ;)

[Edit:] - Had to add the coffee section so you could see the amount of caffeine contained in the brewed drinks:

Drip 115-175
Espresso 100mg of caffeine
1 serving (1.5-2oz)

Brewed 80-135
Instant 65-100
Decaf, brewed 3-4
Decaf, instant 2-3
Tea, iced (12 ozs.) 70
Tea, brewed, imported 60
Tea, brewed, U.S. 40
Tea, instant 30
Mate 25-150mg

Lithium381

Lifer
May 12, 2001
take a cold shower, that always wakes me up.....though once i tried that with a warm shower and i feel asleep in the shower for 5 minutes, good thing i've got good balance when i'm sleeping :confused: heh, that was back in april

wfbberzerker

Lifer
Apr 12, 2001
what was that syrup stuff that was reaaly high in caffeine? (some member made a drink with it a little while back and was shaking because of it)

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: LordMaul
Originally posted by: CrackRabbit

Bullshit. I OD'ed at well over 2 gramms(2,000 mgs) a couple weeks back within a few minutes and I had no problems to speak of other than seeing my heart flop around under my shirt...

Edit: What else were you on? :p

Probably crack.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
"hat was that syrup stuff that was reaaly high in caffeine? (some member made a drink with it a little while back and was shaking because of it) "

That was LordMaul if I believe correctly.

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
I was not, nor have i ever been on crack (besides what the name may suggest) and i can attest that caffiene will make you hallucinate if ingested in large enough amounts, when i was 14 i had a friend whose father happend to work for Coca-Cola, and was able to get me a couple of books of cupons for free Surge, after downing 5-6 surges in a row and taking a single no-doz, i began to slowly lift away from reality, until i was dizzy, disoriented and beliveing the floor was liquid and moving rapidly. At that point, i didnt feel so well (mentaly or physicaly) and lay on the bed for 4-5 hours listening to the radio and my heart pounding.

2g may not of affected you now because you may be de-sesitized to it or you have a much greater weight to caffiene ratio than i did when i was 14. Who knows, but i know what i experienced. It was not fun, and i never ever want to do it again.

CrackRabbit

xospec1alk

Diamond Member
Mar 4, 2002
i had a huge cup of coffee, and 2 cans of monster and i couldn't feel my legs...felt like i was walking on air....and then i started getting dizzy and sick...

Dacalo

Diamond Member
Mar 31, 2000
Originally posted by: ElFenix
in russia, mountain dew drinks you!

Please excuse my ignorant self, but what is with these "in russia, [something] [action] you!" lately?

Mookow

Lifer
Apr 24, 2001
Originally posted by: rgwalt
Red Bull gives you wings!

And ElFenix, WTF is with the Russia stuff?

Who wants to take bets on how long it is before the Mods ban the word "Russia"?

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
Originally posted by: rgwalt
Red Bull gives you wings!

And ElFenix, WTF is with the Russia stuff?

LOL yeah...i see couple people doing the reverse russia...it's cracking me up like crazy..aahahahahhaha wattheheck...

but yeah, @ first, i thought u meant..."mountain dew is potent" in terms of major shrinkage...u knw ...yellow5....it's our worse enemy......

ok yeah,.... in russia, you shrink yellow5!

Nemesis77

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2001
Originally posted by: wje
Here's some information directly from the horse's mouth (the Caffeine FAQ):

Afri-Cola 100.0 (?)

We used to have Afri-cola here (Finland). I wonder that is it the same stuff....

ScrapSilicon

Lifer
Apr 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Brutuskend
Mountain Dew 55.0 (no caffeine in Canada)

That's sacrilege I tell ya!!
better yet..imagine those who are Canadian and go from non to full on MntnDew
:D
on second thought..now I might be clued to why there are traffic troubles on I-95 with Ontario/Quebec plates

ChrisIsBored

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
Originally posted by: ElFenix
in russia, mountain dew drinks you!

It's supposed to be "In Soviet Russia... mountain dew drinks you!"

:p

For all the other whiney babies... do a search for "There's something about Paulie".