Mount BLade 2: Bannerlord

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
What’s multiplayer like in Bannerlord?

Can you team up and wander the countryside or is it team up and do one battle?
I listened to a buddy playing MP while I played SP all weekend. He said it was a blast in combat with other people but he also had consistent server connection problems that made it quite difficult to play. When the servers were stable, he'd still experience crashes to desktop fairly freequently. I'm not sure if the CTD are because his install is botched or bugs, but he spent the weekend relaunching the game over and over trying to play MP. Beyond that I have no info.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Been playing this a lot lately...
Its very addicting and fun.
Sieges are quite epic when you get to advance, its boring as hell when its setting up.

Its like a "Kingdoms" type RTS only your in the group first 3rd person.
Combat sucks like hell, its a abomination, like "Kingdom Come Deliverance"
But controlling your troops from the rear and marching is quite fun.

Feb 4, 2009
Sieges are quite epic when you get to advance, its boring as hell when its setting up.

Have you tried multiplayer?
Is it join with some buds & wander the countryside or is it join some buds for a castle siege?

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007

Did you ever play Warband? I've heard that the combat has been improved significantly from Warband and I thought the combat in that game was great (albeit a little wonky with lances and crossbows).

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020

KCD was awesome!! Combat success was based on the type of weapon you had, the direction you swung and the type of attack you used (slash vs pierce), where on the body you hit them, the type of armor the opponent had, and the shape of the armor. It wasn't a mindless hack and slash. You had to actually use the correct weapon and aim at the appropriate body part. Certain armors were more prone to glancing blows than others, etc etc.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Have you tried multiplayer?
Is it join with some buds & wander the countryside or is it join some buds for a castle siege?

Haven't tried multi player yet...

Did you ever play Warband? I've heard that the combat has been improved significantly from Warband and I thought the combat in that game was great (albeit a little wonky with lances and crossbows).

Nope, so i cant really compare the two, but the combat is exactly like Kingdom Come Deliverance.

KCD was awesome!! Combat success was based on the type of weapon you had, the direction you swung and the type of attack you used (slash vs pierce), where on the body you hit them, the type of armor the opponent had, and the shape of the armor. It wasn't a mindless hack and slash. You had to actually use the correct weapon and aim at the appropriate body part. Certain armors were more prone to glancing blows than others, etc etc.

Then you will probably like this game, as it has almost the same exact combat rules.
The most common mistake i make so far is chasing after my enemy into a hallway with a two handed sword, and well, darn that wall on your side blocking your swing!

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
I've been playing a lot of M&B2 this week, easily put in 30-40 hours. I managed to break the smithing skill by forging two handed "long Falx blade", ends up giving a TON of experience as well as giving you ~50-60,000 gold when you sell it.

For only 6-8 ingots and charcoal, it's stupidly easy to produce in large quantities, I made a dozen and I'm now 257 smithing level.

Obviously still plenty of balancing work needed in the game, but still very enjoyable outside of the game-breaking bugs like when a single faction controls 90% of the world after 3-4 years in-game.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
Most of the videos I see are people always riding on horseback. Is being a foot soldier viable? I would like to get right into the thick of things.

I get your a general and it helps with commanding your troops, but it would suck if horseback is the only way to go.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010
You can just not equip a horse, and there are athletics skill perks that provide more arrows or thrown weapons if you spawn as a footman instead of mounted.

2020-04-12 13_51_03.jpg

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Well in Warband, bows/crossbows were easy mode if you had plenty of patience but polearms on horseback were the key to winning 1v350 battles. A shield on your back was necessary for helping against archers hitting you between runs but just doing drive-bys with a polearm was pretty much unstoppable.

M&e original was even worse. You could filet 10 guys with one charge and lance. They nerfed that in warband.

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
But couched lance shots were still insanely OP in Warband if you needed to one-shot anyone and their horse.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
I take perverse pleasure in chasing down the enemy armies that were sitting right outside of siege range waiting for their buddies to show up so they could attack me. Then when you catch them the leader always throws out the "We have no wish to fight you".

Then it's execution time.

• Haha
Reactions: Printed Circuit Bro

loki1944

Apr 23, 2020
Actually I prefer Warband combat, especially mounted. Hitbox in Bannerlord is too small for longer swords for example.

Feb 4, 2009
Picked it up last week, overall I’m pretty happy with it. Similar to old games but different enough to be different.
Skill/leveling system seems overly complex but I’m okay with how it works.
I just figured out how to assign roles and they are very important
I do wish there were more random events as in you get ambushed in town or one of your dudes stole money now you have to chase him down or lose the cash or you got ambushed while traveling.
I haven’t done much town stuff so above could be wrong.

Anyone think it is not beneficial to promote a berserker to the ob ((whatever)? You appear to go from a heavily armored dude to a bare chested cool looking guy who gets killed quick.

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
If anyone here watches Spiffing Brit, he has some hilarious videos on Bannerlord exploits. Like the one where nobles agree to sell property for negative gold . . .

Feb 4, 2009
Are attribute increases bugged? Just noticed I am level 10 and only have had one attribute increase.

Feb 4, 2009
They might be. I know at one point they were only increasing every 4 levels.

I’ve been concentrating on getting leveled up troops, haven’t leveled myself much.
I’ll hit 12 soon and check.
Problem with my strategy is I cannot get enough points to level the stuff that supports a large army.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
Even 4 levels was bugged as i think TaleWorlds says it should be 3 (or two, I can't remember).

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
ugh that's terrible. Might want to install the dev console and add the correct amount of points.