Mount BLade 2: Bannerlord

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Anyone else excited for this?? I freaking love the original mount & blade, its the perfect sandbox that is augmented by your own imagination and creativity. I love creating a new character, and then play that role throughout the game.

Right now I'm sort of a noble loner, vanquishing bandits and building a core unit of heroes that will be respected and feared throughout Caldaria. One day, my heroes and bannerman will fill the void of leadership for our own, or become the kingmaker for the most righteous of houses!

And other times I just roam around as a singing bard, trying to steal all the nobles ladies ;)

allenkerky

Nov 7, 2014
my-excited-face.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: loki1944

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Mount & Blade was pretty groundbreaking for me with it's nifty combat. But I don't remember there really being a game outside of that? I just recall running around some strategic map looking for other armies to fight, and then I'd hopefully get some good gear from them and take it for my own men.

The towns were laughable little places that looked like they threw together in a couple of days. A stark contrast to the finely polished combat scenes.

What's this stuff about bards? Is that something they added later?

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
I loved the first game, combat system was awesome. But it did grow painful in the later stages, after you had more than 1 holding, because you started spending less time doing awesome stuff and more time just running around the map visiting each town and village to gather 10 more people (if lucky) and then back to your holding to deposit them for the garrison (and you needed like 100+ in each holding). My only hope for the new game is that they reworked the strategic aspects of the game to make it more fun and less cumbersome.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I have both Mount and Blade and Warband but never players those games. Bought them when they were on sale on Steam for really cheap.

Sounds like great games though and I should probably get to it lol

Which one is the best between the original and Warband? I'll probably only play one so I have to choose.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
I have both Mount and Blade and Warband but never players those games. Bought them when they were on sale on Steam for really cheap.

Which one is the best between the original and Warband? I'll probably only play one so I have to choose.

I never played the first one, just Warband,,,,which is very fun. The mod environment is great too, espeeeeecially for multiplayer. It is extremely competitive though.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I loved the first game, combat system was awesome. But it did grow painful in the later stages, after you had more than 1 holding, because you started spending less time doing awesome stuff and more time just running around the map visiting each town and village to gather 10 more people (if lucky) and then back to your holding to deposit them for the garrison (and you needed like 100+ in each holding). My only hope for the new game is that they reworked the strategic aspects of the game to make it more fun and less cumbersome.

I think its a diplomancy mod feature but you can send out recruiters from owned towns to find troops.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008
Is the single player "campaign" worth it?

Yes.

It's like a more intimate version of MEdieval Total War. There is some mild building opportunities, such as buying commercial property, expanding buildings in your own holdings, working with factions or creating your own, recruit/influence other lords to your own faction. Start a civil war.

The game is actually quite complex when you look at everything you can do. On the surface it's just, recruit troops and fight battles.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Yes.

It's like a more intimate version of MEdieval Total War. There is some mild building opportunities, such as buying commercial property, expanding buildings in your own holdings, working with factions or creating your own, recruit/influence other lords to your own faction. Start a civil war.

The game is actually quite complex when you look at everything you can do. On the surface it's just, recruit troops and fight battles.

Yeah, I'm hoping they improve the management of this part of the game and maybe add some mild structure improvement options and things like that. I liked the combat just how it is so I just want to see that carried forward.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
I'm not buying another mount and blade work in progr ... er ... "game" until reviews or something else actually says that the game is complete.

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
I liked Warband, although it got repetitive. I wish you didn't have to build your legion. I guess you don't have to, but its not really designed for a lone adventurer,

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
not excited.

the mount & blade beta had a mounted lance mechanic that was easier and far superior; then they decided it was too easy and turned it into something awful, which was also unrealistic.

because, at teh beginning m&b said "we will do a realistic game", and then chickened out.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014

there is no real campaign, Warband pretty much is an updated version of the original so get Warband. You just create a character and start going around recruiting soldiers, growing your army, joining some kingdom until you are big enough to challenge kingdoms themselves and taking them.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Picked it up last night, played a little bit, so far, so good. It plays like Warband with a much bigger map and a lot of quality of life improvements.

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
Picked it up last night, played a little bit, so far, so good. It plays like Warband with a much bigger map and a lot of quality of life improvements.
That's exactly what it is, exactly what it's supposed to be.

I picked it up a couple days ago and, once I stopped trying to use the farkin spear, have been having fun. Bows are easy mode, sword and board are slightly less easy but still easy, and spears are stupid difficult, shield or not.

Horse + bow = faceroll keyboard and win

Stg-Flame

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2007
Well in Warband, bows/crossbows were easy mode if you had plenty of patience but polearms on horseback were the key to winning 1v350 battles. A shield on your back was necessary for helping against archers hitting you between runs but just doing drive-bys with a polearm was pretty much unstoppable.

Printed Circuit Bro

Jan 21, 2020
Even post-nerf, workshops / factories / whatever are fantastic passive income. I must be doing something wrong with caravans, though, because my income drops considerably when I have 3 of them going.

Feb 4, 2009
What’s multiplayer like in Bannerlord?

Can you team up and wander the countryside or is it team up and do one battle?