Motorcycle owners....

bGIveNs33

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2002
Lately I have put some serious thought into getting a motorcycle. I have wanted one my whole life.... here is the deal. My roommate and I are great friends and have been for over 5 years. In August we are indefinately moving to Europe(we aren't gay). We work real close to eachother and he said he could give me a ride whenever I needed it... i.e... its raining. Right now I have a '95 mustang GT and I still owe ~1200 dollars on it. Frankly, I'm sick of the gas and the payment. I could sell my car, pay off the loan, buy a decent bike(~2.5k) and hopefully put ~1k into savings. I am a good driver and have never been in a wreck but I am a bit concerned about other people running into me. Any advice or thoughts? Also, I live in a fairly small town... (Tallahassee) so the bike selection isn't that great here. Is it horrible to look on egay for motorcycles?

TIA,

Billy

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
<Magic 8 Ball sez> You will hear about the MSF- pursue that before deciding what to buy

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
i bought my second bike off of ebay. If it's your first bike, i'd start off with something like a hayabusa 1300, but stay away from the turbos....those have been known to kill people. You should be safe with anything above 1000cc (which is like riding a bicycle with a small motor). Suzuki makes an excellent bike...yamaha and honda also make excellent bikes. Kawasaki gets no respect.

-=bmacd=-

Damage

Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: bGIveNs33
MSF?

Motorcycle Saftey Foundation.. Wow lots of Cycle threads lately... Keep the car and get a bike also when you can afford it. I live in CA and had a GPx550 as my only transportation for about 7 years. It doesn't rain here much, but when it does it sux, so keep the car. Bikes are great, I love them, but I always want a "backup" just in case.

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
on the main page of the off topic forums here, there's a little search box at the top of the screen. Type in "motorcycle" (without the quotation marks) and you'll be dazzled by the wealth of information. It's the same stuff everybody posts everytime...and it's not a motorcycle thread without the_good_guy preaching about the MSF
rolleye.gif
(although you should definitely take it regardless if you decide to buy a bike or not)

-=bmacd=-

bGIveNs33

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2002
Originally posted by: bmacd
on the main page of the off topic forums here, there's a little search box at the top of the screen. Type in "motorcycle" (without the quotation marks) and you'll be dazzled by the wealth of information. It's the same stuff everybody posts everytime...and it's not a motorcycle thread without the_good_guy preaching about the MSF
rolleye.gif
(although you should definitely take it regardless if you decide to buy a bike or not)

-=bmacd=-

I did search but there was only ~3 threads that relate to mine.... "I want to buy a motorcycle". 3 threads in a couple months isn't much at all... just ask the skoorbs.

boyRacer

Lifer
Oct 1, 2001
Hey i took it... and a year later after getting my license and riding for awhile... i still don't have a bike... :D it really does help... you'll see how many a-holes are who don't know how to drive their freaking cars are out there... :(

Oct 9, 1999
MSF - USA Website

I suggest you keeping the car and getting the bike. You can get a cheap used bike that is reliable and will get you around.. but make sure engine size is a sane engine size and displacement.

There is no use being a no replacement for displacement gearhead.. Anyway take the MSF course (esp. if your under 21 you are required in most states) it will teach you the basic stuff and some survival skills. The MSF course isnt the mother load of learning on how to ride a motorcycle but it will get you started in teh right direction.

More questions.. just post here .. :)

TGG

Edit: since your moving to Europe.. you better realise that if your moving there the motorcycle laws there are diff.. most of europe you are limited by experience ..so chances are even with a foreign DL you will be limited to 25kwph and that might not sound a lot but its plenty to get you started on the right track. The problem is that here in teh states we dont ahve this kind of a law.. which means a rookie can get the biggest and baddest bike on the market and then splatter his body all over the tarmac for us to clean up...

bGIveNs33

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2002
I'm signing up for the course tomorrow and see if riding is something I want to do... I'll PM you if I have any further questions.

Sacotool

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2000
i bought my second bike off of ebay. If it's your first bike, i'd start off with something like a hayabusa 1300, but stay away from the turbos....those have been known to kill people. You should be safe with anything above 1000cc (which is like riding a bicycle with a small motor). Suzuki makes an excellent bike...yamaha and honda also make excellent bikes. Kawasaki gets no respect.

-=bmacd=-

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but the lower the cc's, the less power you have. A 250 is a good beginner bike, not very fast as far as bikes go, but a good bike to learn on. The Busa's or any other model that are over 1000cc's are dangerous for a novice rider.

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Sacotool

-=bmacd=-

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but the lower the cc's, the less power you have. A 250 is a good beginner bike, not very fast as far as bikes go, but a good bike to learn on. The Busa's or any other model that are over 1000cc's are dangerous for a novice rider.

bmacd was being a sarcastic @$$..... cant you see that..

after all we have to get ready for an onslaught of newbies after Biker Boyz starts playing at local theaters.

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Another motorcycle thread
good beginner's motorcycle?
Help me decide on a great novice/beginners motorcycle!
I want to buy a Motorcycle
Thinking of buying a motorcycle......
To all of you with motorcycles: what is the best way to get into it ?
Any motorcycle riders out there?
Which motorcycle to buy?
Motorcycle buying guide?MotorcyclesWell, summer's here... I don't have $$$, but I'm gonna buy a motorcycle anyway...which one???Anyone here know anything about motorcycles?
What to look for in a USED motorcycle?
buying a used motorcycle question
All motorcycle riders check in!
Looking for my first motorcycle

And there's probably another thirty good threads here worth reading...i left out the useless ones. You could spend days reading about this stuff...and you should. There's lots to know...and many mistakes to make. Get a bike you're happy with as far as weight, handling, style and overall size.

If you plan on buying a used bike, goto National Highway Transportation and Safety Association and look for manufacturer recalls on the bike. Do LOTS of shopping and reading about potentially purchased bikes...you'll be glad down the road. Quick example...I bought a '79 Honda CX-500 off ebay from Ohio. Went to get it...the seller lied about the miles and a few other things. I didn't do as much research as i should have. The bike had a known cam chain tensioner problem...and i was aware of it, and still decided to pick up the bike out of desparation. The bike left me stranded on the highway at least three times...after Honda finally decided that it was a direct result of the cam chain tensioner recall that had never been performed on my bike. The dealership initially refused to do the recall given that the bike was so old, but after several phone calls, i eventually got it done. Not too long after that, the engine seized up and it's sitting in my backyard waiting for me to part it out. Moral of the story: do your homework...it pays off bigtime in the short and longrun.

Hope this helps you on your start to freedom...motorcycle riding is the most amazing thing as long as you're safe and only try to ride your own. Feel free to post if you need any help or have any questions. None of us are geniuses, but all of us have been a newbie at some point, so we're here for ya :)

-=bmacd=-

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
Originally posted by: The_good_guy

-=bmacd=-

It's too bad somebody with such a nice bike like yours can't take a simple joke. If he bases his only motorcycle opinions on this single thread, then i'd say he's in a boatload of trouble.

-=bmacd=-

Oct 9, 1999

-=bmacd=-

It's too bad somebody with such a nice bike like yours can't take a simple joke. If he bases his only motorcycle opinions on this single thread, then i'd say he's in a boatload of trouble.

-=bmacd=-

I was kidding BMACD.. Looks like there was some misunderstanding.. I knew you were joking.. didnt I was poiting to sacotool.. and I was wrong to put the @$$ in there. you arent an @$$..

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001

-=bmacd=-

-=bmacd=-

I was kidding BMACD.. Looks like there was some misunderstanding.. I knew you were joking.. didnt I was poiting to sacotool.. and I was wrong to put the @$$ in there. you arent an @$$..

;) :p

-=bmacd=-

Sacotool

Platinum Member
Feb 26, 2000

-=bmacd=-

-=bmacd=-

;) :p

-=bmacd=-

oops it was late and that flew right over my head:eek:

KenGr

Aug 22, 2002
As far as a first bike, I'd look for a 500 to 750 twin cylinder. They are lighter than the 4 cylinder bikes and big enough to be stable and highway capable. They are also usually good torquers which make them easier to ride.

Vette73

Lifer
Jul 5, 2000
I just got a Honda Shadow VT700 not to long ago. The shadows are a pretty good bike. I have heard of them going 100K+.

I would rather have a Harley, but hey a $1000 bike that runs is a good thing :)

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
1. If you are moving to Europe, why would you want to buy a motorcycle here? I'd think that the transport costs, etc., would be nearly equivalent to the cost of the motorcycle.
2. If you've never ridden before (or even if you have) I'd definitely suggest the MSF course. As has been mentioned, though, laws in Europe are different and you'll likely end up needing an additional class once you get over there. At the very least you'll need to adjust for the different laws and restrictions there.
3. It's my understanding that European riders/drivers are much more accomodating of other motorcycle riders, so you'll likely be safer there than here anyway. I envy you.
4. For a first bike I would not recommend getting anything over 500cc. Yes, this rules out all of the 600cc crotchrockets and some really nice 750s. But you are much better off working on learning the basics on a smaller bike. Not to mention Murphy's law which dictates that you *will* drop the bike, probably numerous times. Whether you get hurt or not, plan on getting a few bumps & dings on your bike before you get the hang of things. And busting a bunch of plastic on your full-fairing bike will really break your heart (and your wallet). Go for a simple "naked" (exposed engine) bike and you'll be a lot better off to begin with.
5. There are several makes/models of motorcycles that are not imported to the US, including some really hot rides that can't/won't go through the legalization process for export to the US. So when you do get around to buying that bigger bike, you're really going to be better off getting one out of the US.
6. Read all of the threads posted above on previous motorcycle thread discussions for more information here. Take a google search for motorcycle forums to get some more focused advice.
7. Did I mention the MSF courses?

bGIveNs33

Golden Member
Jul 10, 2002
I've already signed up for the course and the bike wouldn't go to europe with me. It would either stay here or be sold. I'm really just doing this to save money. With a motorcycle I could save twice what I could with my car. I just don't want to sacrifice my life for a few bucks. 500cc bike is what I'm going to get... no more.

BooneRebel

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2001
So you are just looking for transportation for six months? Why not just keep the car? If you're going to sell it for $4700 or so, it won't really make much difference if you do it now or in August. You're not really going to save much money, figure maybe $10 bucks a week on gas, you're only looking at $200-300 difference in savings between driving the car you have now & selling it for a bike.