Motivation books

Syringer

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
Anyone know of any books that can *help*, yes I'm reaching the point of beyond help, motivate me to like, do well in school, in life, and what not? I am somewhat easily inspired, although the feeling dies off rather quickly..

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
If you are motivated enough to go to the store and buy a motivation book, aren't you motivated enough to do that? So you don't need the book. Put it back. Tell the clerk, "Fsck you. I'm goin' home. I'm already motivated."

- George Carlin

lowtech1

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2000

I don't think any book would help if you are not interested in changing you life style. Find out what you would like to do or where you would like to be then set a short-term goal to get it. Once you achieve that longer goals can be set.

Another motivation is to travel & see how others lives then apply it to your life. Once you have been living & working in a third country for a short time you will learn to appreciate what you have in America.

Or, join the army & get whiped into shape.

QueHuong

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
A motivational speaker came to my college - Jay Rifenbary. I really liked his presentation so I went out and bought his book:

No Excuse

Paulson

Elite Member
Feb 27, 2001
www.ifixidevices.com
Originally posted by: vi_edit
If you are motivated enough to go to the store and buy a motivation book, aren't you motivated enough to do that? So you don't need the book. Put it back. Tell the clerk, "Fsck you. I'm goin' home. I'm already motivated."

- George Carlin
Rants about society.. damn funny :)

linuxboy

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Anyone know of any books that can *help*, yes I'm reaching the point of beyond help, motivate me to like, do well in school, in life, and what not? I am somewhat easily inspired, although the feeling dies off rather quickly..

So let me get this straight. I'm confused. This is what the situation looks like:

"I want to do something. I'm not sure why, but I need to do well in school and life and stuff. What stuff? Oh I don't know, but I know I need to motivate myself. Thing is, I kinda hate myself no matter what I do. How do I know that? Well I say so right here, I use cheap motivational tricks to propel me temporarily to something that I think "well". No, it's not that I lack motivation, but I need to figure out new ways to get to that high since the old tricks don't work. Dang, what am I going to do, I better read a book since someone out there can tell me what to do. There are professionals for that sort of thing, right? Help me ATOT."

What gain do you have from temporary motivation, from books and skimming the surface of who you are? If you look deeper, and realize there's an infinity within you, that you can choose and create what to do, that compared to others, you have all the opportunity to seek and obtain life, liberty, happiness. If you realize that what you do matters, and that you are a part of this world, given to you, born into you and you into it, then why do you need to be motivated.

You decide. And that matters. Choose... wisely.

Cheers ! :)

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
Here's a book I read last week, it's got a lot of bible references and such in it, so if thats not your bag, then you might want to skip it.

Dare To Believe

I work with the guy who wrote the book, he's a GREAT guy. He contracted Parkensin's Disease at a fairly young age, the book is a pretty interesting read. It's kind of like the motivation you'd get from a coach before the big game, which I always think is great to listen to.

DnetMHZ

Diamond Member
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: vi_edit

- George Carlin

one of my favorite Carlin'isms :D