Motion Blur

NickelPlate

Nov 9, 2006
Hi All,

I finally stepped into the world of flat panel monitors after using my Sony 19" Trinitron for over 10 years. I picked up a new Samsung PX2370 at the local BB.

So far I really like it but I'm having ALOT of trouble adjusting to the motion blur when gaming. I don't suppose there is anything one can do about it other than to get a higher refresh monitor or go back to my CRT.

I've done this in the past and quickly went back to my CRT. But I'm going to give this an honest shot and use the monitor for a week before making my final judgement.

Thoughts?

NP

SonicIce

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2004
i used an lcd for a short time and after a little while it doesnt bother you anymore

NickelPlate

Nov 9, 2006
At first it was just intolerable but it seems to be getting easier. This is a really nice monitor and it would hard to return it just because of the blur.

thedosbox

Oct 16, 2009
You could be dealing with the effects of poor response time. Samsung have a reputation for being economical with the truth when it comes to their specs.

The sticky LCD thread may be worth a read if you decide to look for a different LCD.

Patrick Wolf

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2005
You could be dealing with the effects of poor response time. Samsung have a reputation for being economical with the truth when it comes to their specs.

The sticky LCD thread may be worth a read if you decide to look for a different LCD.

A poor response time would result in ghosting, not motion blur. Motion blur isn't measured. Except by Panansonic which they refer to as motion resolution.

I assume the OP is not talking about ghosting.

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
I have yet to see an LCD which doesn't have this motion blur. It really does suck, but you do get acclimated to it. But I can't lie, I can always tell it's there and, especially when I play first person shooters, it causes a lot of problems (like me getting killed).

Xarick

Golden Member
May 17, 2006
I have trouble getting use to it. I stepped up from a 19 to a 24" and the motion blur is even more noticeable. It has a lot to do with lcd technology and the human eye. I keep hoping I will get use to it. It doesn't help when developers then add additional motion blur into their games.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I found that a european site called http://www.digitalversus.com has by far the most comprehensive monitor reviews on the net. They actually test input lag and ghosting on monitors. Some of the model names are different because they review European monitors, but you can usually find the comparable monitor in the US.

Just make sure you stay on the european site and don't let it transfer you over to their American site (part of tom's hardware) because the reviews are much better on the European side.

This is my first post but I've been lurking for a long time I'm not just here to advertise this other site.

fffblackmage

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2007
I found that a european site called http://www.digitalversus.com has by far the most comprehensive monitor reviews on the net. They actually test input lag and ghosting on monitors. Some of the model names are different because they review European monitors, but you can usually find the comparable monitor in the US.

Just make sure you stay on the european site and don't let it transfer you over to their American site (part of tom's hardware) because the reviews are much better on the European side.

This is my first post but I've been lurking for a long time I'm not just here to advertise this other site.
:thumbsup:
I've seen a few reviews on that site a while ago. Definitely an excellent source of quality reviews for monitors.

nenforcer

Golden Member
Aug 26, 2008
This may be your last time to get a CRT again before they are really ultra rare and expensive. I was lucky enough to get my first Sony Trinitron for only $30 a couple of years ago! I hope it lasts me ten years although it was already several years old when I got it.

I can game just fine on my DLP TV but for some reason I just can't take most LCD panels although I have watched on my friends LG and they do seem to be getting better.

darXoul

Jan 15, 2004
All LCDs exhibit noticeable motion blur. Only LCD TVs with artificial frame insertion technologies (labeled as 100+ Hz TVs, e.g. Sony Bravia with MotionFlow) considerably reduce the blur, albeit not completely eliminate it. It usually comes at a price though - increased input lag and mild artifacting (e.g. transparent "corona" effects) are common.

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
All LCDs exhibit noticeable motion blur. Only LCD TVs with artificial frame insertion technologies (labeled as 100+ Hz TVs, e.g. Sony Bravia with MotionFlow) considerably reduce the blur, albeit not completely eliminate it. It usually comes at a price though - increased input lag and mild artifacting (e.g. transparent "corona" effects) are common.

If you get a 120hz monitor for 3D it's true 120Hz. I got the samsung 120hz monitor a couple weeks back and motion blur and screen tearing are significantly reduced on it. They're pretty pricey though, 300$ for a 22" 120Hz lcd (I've seen the viewsonic one for 250 though).

marsbound2024

Aug 14, 2007
Hi All,

I finally stepped into the world of flat panel monitors after using my Sony 19" Trinitron for over 10 years. I picked up a new Samsung PX2370 at the local BB.

So far I really like it but I'm having ALOT of trouble adjusting to the motion blur when gaming. I don't suppose there is anything one can do about it other than to get a higher refresh monitor or go back to my CRT.

I've done this in the past and quickly went back to my CRT. But I'm going to give this an honest shot and use the monitor for a week before making my final judgement.

Thoughts?

NP

I have the same monitor. It is stuck at 60Hz vertical refresh rate. Most LCDs are (though some can do 75Hz). I do notice the motion blur and really wish it wasn't there, but what can you do? You get used to it, as I do, and eventually it doesn't matter much. Everything else about the monitor seems great though. How do you like the colors, profile and overall performance besides the motion blur?

darXoul

Jan 15, 2004
If you get a 120hz monitor for 3D it's true 120Hz. I got the samsung 120hz monitor a couple weeks back and motion blur and screen tearing are significantly reduced on it. They're pretty pricey though, 300$ for a 22" 120Hz lcd (I've seen the viewsonic one for 250 though).

If there was a non-TN panel 1920*1200 true 120 Hz monitor on the market, I'd get one in a heartbeat. So far, AFAIK, there are only 1680*1050 TN LCDs available for 3D. Both resolution and especially panel are not acceptable to me. I guess I'll have to wait for OLED if I want a worthy successor to my 26" IPS. Might take a while...

NickelPlate

Nov 9, 2006
I have the same monitor. It is stuck at 60Hz vertical refresh rate. Most LCDs are (though some can do 75Hz). I do notice the motion blur and really wish it wasn't there, but what can you do? You get used to it, as I do, and eventually it doesn't matter much. Everything else about the monitor seems great though. How do you like the colors, profile and overall performance besides the motion blur?

I like it alot. So far the color and sharpness are terrific. Brightness is awesome even in the light of the day with the windows open. I have to tone it down at night. The only problem with mine is the down button is messed up and sometimes selects the menu item instead of scrolling. I'm not sure if I'm going to exchange because of that because this one appears to have no dead pixels that I can find, and knowing my luck the exchange would be full of them.

Even with the motion blur, I can't see myself going back to my CRT now, although I loved that old monitor. But the level of immersion gaming, desktop productivity and readability are just too good to look back.