Mothers in Haiti are having to choose which child lives or dies

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
http://www.cnn.com/2008/US/11/17/hunger.week/index.html

I was reading that article about the ongoing issue with starvation in Haiti, and I came across a charity that is working hard to help children there. Currently there are many children in Haiti who are starving or near starvation. Medika Mamba is a product made of peanuts, oil, sugar, powdered milk, and a few other things which is densely packed with nutrients. After doing research on several sites, I found that this product will bring a child back from the brink of starvation in as little as 6 weeks. After the usage of this product the children then have a much better chance of being able to survive on the normal diet in Haiti.

As you some of you know my father died on December 11th, 1991, and this year I am going to be donating in his name to this charity for Christmas. For 68 dollars you can save a child. I know times are tough here for many of us (including me), but it isn't so tough that I am starving. Please take some time to consider donating to this charity. I sent enough for two children. I realize everyone cannot do that, but even 10 dollars will help.

Thank you for your time.

Mill

Link to Charity:
http://www.medsandfoodforkids.org/

To donate:
http://www.justgive.org/giving...te.jsp?charityId=29400

------------------------------------
Please honor Mill & Spec's request to keep this on topic.

Those that attempt to hijack for political agenda may have the PPD count lowered.

Senior Anandtech Moderator
Common Courtesy

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Good for you Mill. While I do not agree with charities, I certainly have respect for those who do. :)

And in that light I would ask other AT posters who may share my views of charities and the poor to NOT turn this thread into a flamefest but rather leave it for what it is. If you want an idea of how damned bad it is there look at this. They are, almost literally, eating dirt.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: conehead433
Wow, and here in the US we're converting church donations into political campaigns.
Fixed.

---------------------------------
techs; you slipped under the request time.

While I understand what you are stating, you are rehashing one of the other existing threads on the subject.

As such, this was not needed.

Senior Anandtech Moderator
Common Courtesy

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Specop 007
Originally posted by: techs
Wow, and here in the US we're converting church donations into political campaigns.
Fixed.

And what the hell does this have to do with the topic at hand Techs?
The 20 million dollars spent by the Mormon Church to keep gays from marrying in California would have saved a lot of lives in Haiti.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Fixed.

The 20 million dollars spent by the Mormon Church to keep gays from marrying in California would have saved a lot of lives in Haiti.

Please, guys, no. Please take it to another thread. Thank you.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Fixed.

Start another thread then instead of crapping on this one.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Fixed.

Yay, a troll!!

Now go away troll. Shoo with you.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Mill, are you sure this is the best charity--the best bang for buck for these kids in Haiti? $68 sounds like a good price.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Mill, are you sure this is the best charity--the best bang for buck for these kids in Haiti? $68 sounds like a good price.

I cannot say it is the BEST. I don't know a lot about charities in Haiti, but the concept of Medika Mamba is what hooked me.

The concept behind Medika Mamba has been proven to be successful in other countries and when administered by other well known groups:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumpy'nut

I did some research on the Doctor who is head of the charity and she has won several awards for her work down there. In fact, she spends half of her time in Haiti. The website for the charity also gives lots of contact and bio info, so for anyone interested in digging deeper that would be a good starting point.

I did a bit of search after reading the CNN article, and I personally feel this is a great charity with a very unique and sucessful way of fighting starvation in Haiti.

Fusetalk won't let me post that link correctly so I am going to try again:

Plumpy'Nut

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: BoberFett
I'm sure I'll be jumped on for saying this, but perhaps it's time to start thinking about not saving every person on the planet. There are 6.5 billion people on this planet, it's not like we're on the brink of extinction. Are those that can't save themselves worth saving? What is the purpose in sustaining a population whose only contribution to humanity will be to procreate thereby creating another group of people who needs to be saved?

Flame away.

Children, in general, cannot save themselves so I think your philosophical argument would be better in another thread as it is not really applicable here. I encourage you to make such a thread and I will be happy to participate and further explain my reasoning.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Originally posted by: Mill
Originally posted by: BoberFett
I'm sure I'll be jumped on for saying this, but perhaps it's time to start thinking about not saving every person on the planet. There are 6.5 billion people on this planet, it's not like we're on the brink of extinction. Are those that can't save themselves worth saving? What is the purpose in sustaining a population whose only contribution to humanity will be to procreate thereby creating another group of people who needs to be saved?

Flame away.

Children, in general, cannot save themselves so I think your philosophical argument would be better in another thread as it is not really applicable here. I encourage you to make such a thread and I will be happy to participate and further explain my reasoning.
Space to rant.

Chunkee

Lifer
Jul 28, 2002
we sponsor a few children and families through World Vision Org. Good luck to you.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: Chunkee
we sponsor a few children and families through World Vision Org. Good luck to you.

I love World Vision. One of the best charities. I am leaving money to them in my will.

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
I yearly give small contibutrions each year to the ACLU, Amnesty International, and then generally two others, one domestic and one international, like the American Red Cross, Medecines Sans Frontieres or Oxfam.

I'm gonna' look into your suggestion, Mill, thanks! :thumbsup:

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
removed flammable comment upon request.

Did you not see the moderator warning not to troll this charity thread? Consider yourself warned.

Perknose
Senior AT Mod

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Made a donation. Mill thanks for reminding me what I often take for granted.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
Good for you Mill. While I do not agree with charities, I certainly have respect for those who do. :)

how does one not agree with charities?

OFFascist

Jun 10, 2002
It sucks when you live somewhere that cannot sustain its population.

If we just left them alone then the situation would reach an equilibrium, but instead we keep sending more aid in the "attempt" to help people when all we are doing is prolonging the misery.

PolymerTim

Apr 29, 2002
Originally posted by: Insomniator
how does one not agree with charities?

For that, you should probably check out the debate thread.

Originally posted by: Skoorb
It looks like a pretty good approach to me. I usually try to keep two things in mind when evaluating a charity; first is the approach and second is the amount of money that goes to direct aid. For charities that have profiles at BBB, EFCA, or Charity Navigator you can get a lot of this information, but many charities, especially smaller or newer ones, are not listed.

I also favor WorldVision's approach since they target both immediate needs and development to work out of poverty.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Thanks for the post man. Really puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

Just donated for a few kids.