Motherboard with Virtualization Support?

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
With Server 08 being released and I am getting a copy. I am looking for a MB with hardware virtualization. The only other requirements are the ability to take 8GB of ram and plenty of disk.

It can be AMD or Intel. I am browsing Newegg but not finding any VT in the specs of the MBs. I am assuming there has to be at least one consumer grade MB with this enabled.

lopri

Elite Member
Jul 27, 2002
Virtual machines are a software solution in its nature. CPUs with virtualization support can more efficiently run virtual machines with OS support (by recognizing virtual machines and assigning related tasks to capable CPUs) but you don't have to have a hardware support to run a VM, technically speaking. I don't think motherboard has anything to do with Virtualization. (could be wrong)

VivienM

Jun 26, 2001
I think BIOSes do need to have some support for hardware virtualization, though... but (I'm also shopping for VT-enabled boards) I think MOST boards that support VT-capable CPUs (i.e. AM2/LGA775) have that ability.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Originally posted by: lopri
Virtual machines are a software solution in its nature. CPUs with virtualization support can more efficiently run virtual machines with OS support (by recognizing virtual machines and assigning related tasks to capable CPUs) but you don't have to have a hardware support to run a VM, technically speaking. I don't think motherboard has anything to do with Virtualization. (could be wrong)

I understand what a VM is, I work with them on a daily basis. But for Hyper V, Microsoft requires hardware VTS support. For instance when I purchase a Core 2 Duo machine from Dell. Within the Bios there is an option to enable hardware virtualization. I know the AM2 and Core 2 Duo line of chips have hardware support. But what I dont know is if the consumer AM2 and 775 boards have it turned on by default or if they require a switch, or if they have it turned off without the ability to turn it on. I cant find any description of hardware virtulization support on any of the specification pages.

I dont want to drop a couple of hundred bucks on a chip and board to find out I cant run server core 08 with Hyper V and virtualize my home environment.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
Ok I took a look at my current Motherboard which is a Gigabyte DS3 and it has hardware virtualization capability in the bios. Ill assume the motherboards out today have this capability as well.

Thanks

Now it is just a matter of deciding should I use this motherboard and give my main computer an upgrade. Or should I go buy a lower end operton and AM2 motherboard.

VivienM

Jun 26, 2001
If you're going AM2, you might want to consider the BE-xxxx chips, too. Low power is always good for a server...

I don't know what your budget is, but one problem with going Intel is that you need the E6xxx chips to get VT...

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
This guy sits in my laundry room and is nothing but an AD controller and file server.
However with Hyper V I want to virtualize the whole thing and expand my capability by running an exchange and ISA server. Something I cant do with my current hardware very easy.

Think I narrowed it down to an Operton 1212(2Ghz) and an ASUS Motherboard with 7 onboard SATA connectors.

Should be a relatively cheap upgrade for now. MB + Processor are ~150 + 2x2GB ram might add another 100.

My current HD situation is fine and Ill upgrade as I go. One nice thing about virtualizing it is no more rebuilding when I change my disc. Backup the VMs and put them back onto the disk after the upgrade.