Motherboard with optical/spdif audio input?

avqs

Oct 16, 2013
I've been trying to find a motherboard that has optical audio input.. and so far the only ones I've come across are old/discontinued or not available in the US.

Anyone know of one offhand? Preferably an AMD board (FM2).

I'm trying to avoid getting a sound card..... my goal is to have the TV's optical audio out > to motherboard > to speakers.. without the need of any other audio components. basically using the htpc as the receiver.

edit for a note- - i'm not concerned with HD audio being received from the tv .. basically just anything thats plugged into the tv's a/v ports such as gaming systems, etc.. i want the sound to be played through the htpc.. and the only way of doing that is with the tv's optical audio out... so if theres some other way of achieving what i want please let me know ..

thanks in advance

Last edited:

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
I've never heard of an MB with an optical input, only output. Why do you want to feed the TV sound into the computer? Why not just feed it directly to the speakers/amp?

avqs

Oct 16, 2013
Because the speakers will be connected to the HTPC... so unless I have speakers that accept multiple inputs....... . There's no way to have everything connected to one pair.

My goal is a single box.. for everything.. no receiver, etc. only the htpc.

I can't seem to find the motherboard I looked at before.. I believe it was an ASUS, and the article I read was something about a line of htpc/media motherboards.. and it definitely had optical input.. but I can't seem to find it. There are OEM boards that have it, such as the HP P5LP-LE (an asus board), and even an Apple G5 desktop has optical input.. but I guess this is not a normal feature or never made it into the mainstream.

I guess I have to evaluate just exactly what I need... maybe I'm looking for too much and making it too complicated.

May 27, 2008
It sounds like you are making it to complicated. You want to send the TV video and audio from the HTPC. And then send the audio back to the HTPC to play on speakers connected to the HTPC.

Just connect the HTPC to the TV and send it video. And connect your speakers to the HTPC. You don't need to feed the TV audio. Skip the whole back and forth arrangement for the sound.