Motherboard with DVI-I port, no video signal?

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
I got a Via Epia-EX10000EG mini-ITX motherboard off Craigslist that has a DVI-I port on the back. I hooked it up with a DVI-D cable to my Samsung monitor that has a DVI-D connector. When I turn it on, the screen is blank but the motherboard powers on and I hear the fans spinning.

Do you guys think it might not be carrying the video signal because of the DVI-D cable or DVI-D monitor? I've searched Google to find out if the video signal is analog or digital but I can't find any info. I know this motherboard is pretty old, so it's possible that it has an analog signal.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Interesting. Has the CMOS been cleared lately, or the CMOS battery checked and / or replaced?

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
Interesting. Has the CMOS been cleared lately, or the CMOS battery checked and / or replaced?

Tried clearing CMOS, that didn't work unfortunately. I suppose the battery could just be dead. It is a pretty old motherboard, after all. You think maybe the reason it doesn't display is because the battery is bad?

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
DVI-I can carry both DVI-D (digital) and DVI-A (analog) signals. The point of DVI-I is that you can plug a VGA monitor into a DVI-I socket via a simple adapter (or of course use a DVI-D cable and plug it into a standard DVI monitor).

First result I see on Google:
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/221/~/difference-between-dvi-i-and-dvi-d

I've had faulty DVI cables before, that may be worth checking? Do you have a CMOS speaker plugged in (or is one integrated into the board)?

I wouldn't expect to see a PC not boot because of a dead clock battery though.

Reactions: jana519

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
DVI-I can carry both DVI-D (digital) and DVI-A (analog) signals. The point of DVI-I is that you can plug a VGA monitor into a DVI-I socket via a simple adapter (or of course use a DVI-D cable and plug it into a standard DVI monitor).

First result I see on Google:
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/221/~/difference-between-dvi-i-and-dvi-d

I've had faulty DVI cables before, that may be worth checking? Do you have a CMOS speaker plugged in (or is one integrated into the board)?

I wouldn't expect to see a PC not boot because of a dead clock battery though.

I see, I guess that makes sense. So DVI-I would be to offer support for those people who were still on VGA. Hmmm... In that case buying a true DVI-I cable wouldn't help since my monitor has a DVI-D connector.

I thought my DVI-D cable worked, but now that I think of it I can't recall the last time I actually used it. Maybe the cable itself is bad?

The CMOS battery and DVI-D cable are both pretty cheap so I can get new ones to test and see if that helps.

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
http://www.playtool.com/pages/dvitrouble/dvitrouble.html

One possible problem (in theory): the BIOS is supposed to display at a certain resolution. Since my monitor has a DVI-D connector and the motherboard has DVI-I, it might be the BIOS is trying to display at an analog resolution, but the monitor is only reading a digital signal.

It's also possible that the display driver is confused and has tried to diplay an analog screen mode when you only have a digital cable or vice versa.

I wonder if this motherboard might not work on a monitor with DVI-I connector, or if I had a DVI-I cable with VGA adapter. I'm pretty sure my DVI-D cable is working.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
There's a slim possibility that the board has a DVI-I connector yet can't supply a digital DVI signal. I doubt it though. Maybe a BIOS update would fix that. Does the board have a PCI/AGP/PCIE socket you could stick a graphics card in (I'm thinking temporarily)?

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
There's a slim possibility that the board has a DVI-I connector yet can't supply a digital DVI signal. I doubt it though. Maybe a BIOS update would fix that. Does the board have a PCI/AGP/PCIE socket you could stick a graphics card in (I'm thinking temporarily)?

It's a strange motherboard. It's made by Via, and it has PCI but the slot is backwards. I'm really not sure what it was originally designed for.

I think there's a chance the DVI-VGA adapter solution will work. Going to keep my fingers crossed.

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
It's definitely a backwards pci slot and not pcie?

Yep. I haven't a clue what it's used for.

EX10000.jpg

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That's a PCI slot. Not backwards. Maybe it looks backwards, compared to a PCI-E slot, I'm not sure what you think that you're seeing.

Reactions: mikeymikec

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
There must be other versions because there are plenty of pics of the board with a DVI connector.

http://cdn.viaembedded.com/eol_products/docs/epia-ex/user_manual/UM_EPIA-EX_114.pdf

Not to mention that C1's user guide shows no DVI connector.

The component/composite video connectors make me wonder though - considering that IIRC those connectors can be used in conjunction with a SCART adapter and be plugged into a normal TV, is there any chance that the OP might get a video signal through plugging in a TV instead?

I'm also concerned that the manual you linked has two jumpers that I'm wondering what the heck they do:

Inverter Selector: IVDD_SEL
IVDD is the VCC selector jumper to determine the input
voltage of the panel inverter for panel’s back-light.

Panel Power Selector: PVDD_SEL
PVDD is the VCC selector jumper to
determine the panel’s signal voltage.

This sounds like a board intended for some kind of proprietary contraption like an old all-in-one PC (but maybe has a standard TV for video output by default), therefore comparing expectations of what one might expect a normal PC board to do might not apply here?

Normally I'd expect a monitor receiving a signal that's outside of its supported range would put up some kind of "out of range" message, but for example I haven't connected my Amiga to many monitors while using incorrect video settings :)

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Gave you the user guide for the wrong board. Your version is EX10000EG series.

The rear panel video outputs are DVI-I and one S-Video out.

Here is summary of specs:
https://www.cnet.com/products/via-epia-ex10000eg-motherboard-mini-itx-via-c7-cx700m2/specs/

Pages 70 & 71 show more details and specs for that specific board:
http://www.redlinx.co.za/PDF/VIA Embedded Systems and Boards Catalogue.pdf

Yes, and it does look like there are a zillion flavors or variants of that board made available for various developer, commercial and propriatary uses/users.

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
Not to mention that C1's user guide shows no DVI connector.

The component/composite video connectors make me wonder though - considering that IIRC those connectors can be used in conjunction with a SCART adapter and be plugged into a normal TV, is there any chance that the OP might get a video signal through plugging in a TV instead?

I'm also concerned that the manual you linked has two jumpers that I'm wondering what the heck they do:

This sounds like a board intended for some kind of proprietary contraption like an old all-in-one PC (but maybe has a standard TV for video output by default), therefore comparing expectations of what one might expect a normal PC board to do might not apply here?

Normally I'd expect a monitor receiving a signal that's outside of its supported range would put up some kind of "out of range" message, but for example I haven't connected my Amiga to many monitors while using incorrect video settings :)

@mikeymikec think your guess may prove to be right. I pulled the motherboard from a 1U rack unit that was labeled CieloWorks Cielo Media Client. I tried Googling a bit but I haven't been able to find anything helpful. It seems this motherboard was part of some sort of security setup possibly involved in CCTV. That would explain the component/composite out on the rear of the motherboard. But I am completely mystified as to why it won't show a video signal when connected to a monitor via DVI-D cable.

I have tried the suggestion of @VirtualLarry to replace the 3V CMOS battery, to no avail. Perhaps someone smarter than I am may know what is going on. I'd love to get this little guy working if I could.

jana519

Jul 12, 2014
Can you contact the seller and ask for more information?

Yeah I was planning to, it skipped my mind I guess. I'll contact him and see what info I can find. Will update when I have any new developments. Thanks everyone for the big help!