Motherboard Stand-offs, Neccessary??

MetalWires

Oct 6, 2002
Hey I am just wondering if you have to have motherboard standoff screws over the little gold ones. I just put my mobo in my case without and standoffs and was wondering if there will be any consequences? thanks

mechBgon

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Oct 31, 1999
Are you saying you bolted the mobo directly to the tray with no standoffs? That sounds like a recipe for disaster :Q and would put the PCI and AGP slots way lower than they're supposed to be.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
:Q:Q:Q

Not to mention the possibility of a short if the traces are touching the case panels.

Chiz

MetalWires

Oct 6, 2002
No I mean there are 6 (i think) little gold things that hold the mobo up off of the case, but I don't have standoffs screwed into those... I just rested the mobo on the little gold things and screwed the screws directly into the gold things (to hold the mobo in place)

PS - The reason I didn't use the tiny standoffs is because none came with my case...

RustyNale

Platinum Member
Apr 14, 2001
Welcome to AnandTech, MetalWires.
Without any standoffs, you'll shortout your mobo. Too many may do the same thing. You should use the ones provided by with your case, and you should only use one for each mounting point on your motherboard.

So yes, you need to screw down the motherboard with the provided screws into the stand offs.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: MetalWires
No I mean there are 6 (i think) little gold things that hold the mobo up off of the case, but I don't have standoffs screwed into those... I just rested the mobo on the little gold things and screwed the screws directly into the gold things (to hold the mobo in place)

PS - The reason I didn't use the tiny standoffs is because none came with my case...

The little gold things are standoffs. Different cases have different standoffs. Personally I don't like the little gold ones, as its easy for a screw that isn't the perfect size to get lodged in the standoff, causing both to just spin when trying to remove them. I think you are OK :)

Chiz

Wind

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2001
Originally posted by: MetalWires

Since u said u screwed screws directly into those gold things to hold the mobo...I think u mean rubber washer.

Nope. Those rubber washer is not necessary. But if u hv it...it would be nice. Remember, don't screwed the screws too tight.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Yup, those brass posts are standoffs. There are, however, some back panels that don't require even those standoffs. Some back panels have boobies( :Q) that you can screw the mobo to.

Viper96720

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2002
Just make sure all of them line up with a mounting hole. Remove or move unnecessary ones to a hole. Otherwise may short the board out.