Question Motherboard Repair

stanzlavos

May 21, 2016
Hi

I have a desktop based on an Asus Rampage V Extreme.

Sad story : I was trying to repair a home appliance. Was trying to monitor a serial port using a Bus Pirate (had made sure that the part I was checking, was in-fact operating at 5V levels) connected to a USB port in the front panel, and something went wrong! Think I might have fried something on my motherboard. The MB does get power, but it does not turn on at all. I did notice that the x99 chipset heatsink was pretty hot to touch.

As of now, I have no way to check anything as I don't have a spare MB. Before involving some repair folks, I wanted to make sure that if it would even be possible to "swap/replace the chipset" ?

Anyhow, I'll be contacting Asus customer support tomorrow. Meanwhile, any recommendations ? :)

Regards
Nubin Stanley

Furious_Styles

Jan 17, 2019
Don't waste time with Asus support, they won't help you since you damaged the board.

Sadly there's not much you can do beyond taking the battery out and trying a min component boot. But it sounds like something power-wise was damaged and if that's the case there's not much hope of that working.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

stanzlavos

May 21, 2016
Don't waste time with Asus support, they won't help you since you damaged the board.

Sadly there's not much you can do beyond taking the battery out and trying a min component boot. But it sounds like something power-wise was damaged and if that's the case there's not much hope of that working.

I just want to get a paid repair, if possible. :)

Not sure anything is gonna turn on though. The MB is not even trying - the boot sequence seven seg display don't come on, the fans don't start....

bigboxes

Lifer
Apr 6, 2002
Hi

I have a desktop based on an Asus Rampage V Extreme.

Sad story : I was trying to repair a home appliance. Was trying to monitor a serial port using a Bus Pirate (had made sure that the part I was checking, was in-fact operating at 5V levels) connected to a USB port in the front panel, and something went wrong! Think I might have fried something on my motherboard. The MB does get power, but it does not turn on at all. I did notice that the x99 chipset heatsink was pretty hot to touch.

As of now, I have no way to check anything as I don't have a spare MB. Before involving some repair folks, I wanted to make sure that if it would even be possible to "swap/replace the chipset" ?

Anyhow, I'll be contacting Asus customer support tomorrow. Meanwhile, any recommendations ? :)

Regards
Nubin Stanley

Couldn't you just use a multimeter to test the appliance?

Sorry for you loss. I just went through this with my last main rig. I'm not sure what happened, but when I determined it was the motherboard I just built a new rig. It was 7 years old. Yours is six years old.

That sure is an expensive board. Very sweet. What processor were you running on that board?

stanzlavos

May 21, 2016
Couldn't you just use a multimeter to test the appliance?

Sorry for you loss. I just went through this with my last main rig. I'm not sure what happened, but when I determined it was the motherboard I just built a new rig. It was 7 years old. Yours is six years old.

That sure is an expensive board. Very sweet. What processor were you running on that board?

Well, I did use a multimeter for the initial parts. There was a control board with switches/seven seg displays that the connected to the main board. There were 4 wires between them (5V, GND, X, X) . I think that the control board was at fault. Made sure that the board was operating at 5V levels (it was being fed by 7805). And then I wanted to see if it was actually doing some serial communication. :(

I have a 5820K. Hopefully it still runs (and the rest of the peripherals)!

Anyone from Bangalore around? Any recommendations on a good repair shop? :) I don't think I'll get any thing if I try to sell the rig; I was thinking if I could get a replacement x99 board. Cannot find one online atleast. :(

fastman

Golden Member
Oct 9, 1999
Not to rain on your plans but you would need some very precise soldering and specialized gear, not to mention the skills to replace a chipset on a mobo.

stanzlavos

May 21, 2016
Not to rain on your plans but you would need some very precise soldering and specialized gear, not to mention the skills to replace a chipset on a mobo.

I don't intend to do this myself. :D

BTW, the Asus authorised service centre near my location informed that they would not take in out-of-warranty motherboards! :( Unfair!

Did talk to a few 3rd party repair folks. I think I found a knowledgeable guy, but with the Covid-19 lockdown in effect, the shops are closed and procuring parts seems to be a pain.

I might just end up upgrading the mobo and proc (and maybe upgrade the rest of the parts later on). Had a few queries regarding this as well. I guess I'll start a separate thread for that.