Motherboard ports not working on new build

hockey71

Dec 8, 2018
Hello,

So I began building a PC back in September, this was my first build. I had everything except a GPU, which I planned on picking up at a later date. I believed I had done everything correctly so it was time to plug in the monitor(VGA) and turn on the power for the first time test. Everything turned on and the monitor displayed a POST screen. Great! Everything works!

Fast forward to black Friday and I finally purchase a GPU, got it all hooked up and installed properly. Ok time to turn it on and install windows. But now the monitor(VGA) will not work when plugged into the back of my motherboard. Strange ok let me try my TV(HDMI). At first I try to plug it into the HDMI slot on my motherboard but like the monitor it does not work. Next I try to plug my TV(HDMI) into the HDMI slot of the GPU and finally I have a picture again. It is the POST screen similar to September.

F2 to do setup

F1 to continue

So I plug in a USB keyboard into the back of the motherboard and this also does not work. At this point it seems like none of the ports are working on the motherboard which is strange since my VGA monitor did months prior. The only thing that has changed since then is the addition of my GPU. So I decide to remove the GPU and after that my monitor works again with my motherboard, but still USB no keyboard will work. I even tried an old school keyboard that plugs into the purple+green port (idk name) and still nothing.

So how do I get my ports to work? What went wrong? Is it some oddly specific problem with the motherboard?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4wmZvn

Motherboard has no beep sound on startup. Don’t know if this is relevant at all

Thanks!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hmm. Did you by any chance change any settings in the BIOS/UEFI/Setup, when you install the GPU? Maybe you disabled a USB controller or something?

If it's not a BIOS setting, then your board is going back, or your +5V or +5SB (standby) on your PSU (power supply) is going bad.

I would:
1) turn the system off.
2) UNPLUG the system.
3) Locate the "Clear CMOS" jumper (use the manual if you can't find it), and if it's a two-position jumper, then cap it, wait 2 seconds, and un-cap it. If it's a 3-position, then move it to the alternate position, wait 2 seconds, then move it back to "Normal" operating position.
4) Plug the system back into the wall.
5) Power-up the system, with keyboard and GPU connection. You SHOULD get the "Press F1 to Continue, Press F2 for Setup." message. Try hitting the appropriate key on the USB keyboard. If it doesn't work, make sure that there's no USB hub in-between, like a desktop hub, or a monitor's USB ports. If necessary, try different USB ports (front, back, USB3.0, USB2.0, etc.)

If it still doesn't work, swap PSUs. If that doesn't work, replace the mobo. Make sure to try a different (wired) keyboard first though.

Campy

Jun 25, 2010
When you plug in a GPU your CPUs integrated graphics is probably disabled automatically by the motherboard, so that isn't anything to worry about. You want to have your monitor plugged directly into the GPU anyway, because otherwise you will be using your integrated graphics for everything, including gaming.

As for the USB ports, have you tried all of them? Your motherboard has five type A USB ports and one type C USB port all on the rear IO. Do any devices at all work in the USB ports? Make sure your motherboard drivers are installed and up to date.

hockey71

Dec 8, 2018
I am using my integrated graphics for the moment. It seems that anything plugged into my back USBs (flash drive, mouse, keyboard) will light up like it is receiving power but will not function. I am even able to chrage my cell phone through one of the back USB ports. I can not advance to the bios without a working keyboard.

Thanks

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Could this be related to a Secure Boot issues? I've had weird issues, where Secure Boot doesn't allow keyboard input during BIOS POST. Had to remove the primary drive, to get it to fail Secure Boot, then prompt to access BIOS.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Could this be related to a Secure Boot issues? I've had weird issues, where Secure Boot doesn't allow keyboard input during BIOS POST. Had to remove the primary drive, to get it to fail Secure Boot, then prompt to access BIOS.

Possible. If I were in the OPs position, I'd be pulling the board out of the case and making sure I got all my mobo posts lined up right, and the io shield installed right, and redo-ing everything nice and ez. Then ensure the BIOS is up to date also.

hockey71

Dec 8, 2018
I have tried to clear the CMOS and this also did not help. And I believe everything is installed properly since the motherboard powers on, goes to POST, and supplies power to those back USB ports.

Thanks

Farmer

Diamond Member
Dec 23, 2003
I'd take it out of the case and put it on a cardboard box, reset CMOS again and try again. I you've got a different keyboard try that as well. If that still doesn't work, I'd RMA the board.

Rifter

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
No one has said to try a non-usb keyboard?

You could try a ps2 keyboard, but you would likely end up using a usb adapter anyways as most new boards have no ps2 port, so not sure that would really make a differnce

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
You could try a ps2 keyboard, but you would likely end up using a usb adapter anyways as most new boards have no ps2 port, so not sure that would really make a differnce
the board has a ps2 port i looked at the photo on the asrock site.. just saying ive seen usb keyboards not work on my old DFI x38 x48 motherboards and the ps2 worked each time.