motherboard can no longer OC - AT ALL!!!!!!!!

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
So a while ago, I realized my bios settings reset, and my OC wasn't there anymore. I think i notced it in coretemp. But i was fine with the way it was performing, so i never OCed it again.

Well I've been gaming more, and just got 3d vision, so i defintley need to crank it back up, at least to 3.0ghz.

The problem is i can no longer overclock. Even if i try to make it 9mhz faster, it restarts while its booting up and reverts back to the default settings.

All my other settings are ok (everything not under the motherboard intellgent tweaker tab) so i dont think its the battery.

I updated to the newest bios, and that made no difference.

I'm thinking it might just be a bad motherboard. What other reason could be causing this?

Its a P35-DS3L with a Q6600 btw. system is in sig.

Last edited:

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
found a solution from searching around.

I had legacy USB enabled in BIOS.....

absolutely no idea why that would prevent me from OCing, but whatever, im guessing i dont need it. Anyone know what that does anyway?

PreferLinux

Dec 29, 2010
Legacy USB lets you use a USB keyboard and mouse with old operating systems which don't support them.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Legacy USB lets you use a USB keyboard and mouse with old operating systems which don't support them.

specifically, legacy USB loads up a low level app that displays a USB mouse/keyboard as a PS/2 mouse/keyboard to the OS/BIOS and translates their input from USB.
This tends to cause a wide variety of problems in many mobos because of how poorly it is implemented.

bryanW1995

Lifer
May 22, 2007
yeah, legacy usb support is a real pita. I always disable it these days when oc'ing just to be safe.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
WOAH i was gonna ask if u had a foxconn type board.

lol.. reminds me of the old foxconn board types.

Or DFI's.. ugh.. had the same problem your reporting constantly on a DFI.

Nvidiaguy07

Platinum Member
Feb 22, 2008
Glad you sorted it out! Let us know your OC when you do it.. gg,

Im at 3.15 right now, but I havent gone back and really tried pushing it again.

When i OCed last time I got it to 3.6 on air. It was stable for over 24hours in prime95, but the second i closed the program, i froze up. I guess v-drop (or droop?) was killing me. Ill probably end up putting it at around 3.4ghz.

Anyone know the performance difference in games of a Q6600 @3.4 vs a 2500k @ 4.4ghz? I think im going to wait until ivy bridge comes out of upgrade since this Q6600 seems to be doing ok.