Question Motherboard Amber Light On New PC Build.

fjb1933pontiac

Nov 4, 2022
Just finish building a PC with ASUS Prime H410M-A/CSM LGA 1200 motherboard, with Intel 4-core i3-10105T 10th Gen processor, Cosair 650 watt PS, Nvidia GTX 1070 8Gb Graphic card, 2 ea. Cosair Vengeance Pro Memory, 2 ea. Netac 500GB SSD.
Here's what happens. Amber solid light comes on motherboard as I plug in the power cord to power supply, and when I turn on the computer the amber light goes to a "on and off" pattern..slowy flashes. This amber light is located behind the microphone ports on the left side of the motherboard.
Here's what I have done. I switch out the 650 watt PS to another 650 watt PS from a running desktop. switch graphic cards from another running PC, switch memory sticks from another running PC, removed all SSD drives, graphic card and the amber light still lights up when I plug in the power cord to back of the computer case.
Any other solutions that I can do?

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Did you install everything into the case already? If so, try removing it from the case, unplug everything except for the 24 pin and 8 pin and see if it behaves the same way.

fjb1933pontiac

Nov 4, 2022
Installed the Mobo in case with CPU before connecting the 24 in and 8 pin cables. I'm going to do as you suggested...remove the Mobo and connect all cables it being outside the case.
BTW: This is the second board that I've installed in this case and both had the amber light. I returned the other H410 back to Amazon. Amazon may be selling some bad ASUS H410's

fjb1933pontiac

Nov 4, 2022
This is my 11th computer build, and a first to have amber solid or flashing light on any motherboard. I've installed ASUS, MSI, and Gigabytes boards from micro-atx to full atx and never had any problems on a install. I'll get back on here when I do the testing with board outside the case.

Reactions: DAPUNISHER

fjb1933pontiac

Nov 4, 2022
Here is the update:
Removed the board from computer case. Only 24 pin and 8 pin CPU cables connected to board. Plug in the power cord to power supply and amber light came on...A sold light., no flashing. If any of you have used a ASUS board, there is a light tunnel...sort of on the left lower side that has the light. I've installed three ASUS boards and this one is the first that find there is a light in this area of the board.
Here is something to consider. When I installed all and turned on the PC. It went into BIOS and all looks fine. CPU at 27c and voltage is normal, and nothing gave a lint that there was any problem, until about three minutes and the monitor changed to a "Automatic Repair"

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
Do you have an ethernet cable plugged in? Was it the Windows Automatic Repair? Did the SSD have an OS installed on it already?

Mantrid-Drone

Mar 15, 2014
The LED position described in this case is not the main LED so where is it exactly? Its not clear from the description

I've had a quick look at the Asus web site MB pics and on Amazon and I can't see any obvious LED on the MB 'behind' the mic/speaker ports.

fjb1933pontiac

Nov 4, 2022
I'll go back to the beginning at the time I finish the build. All cables was connected to board. Mouse, keyboard and ethernet cables connected to board. SSD was connected and it was a clean drive. When I turned on the computer by the power on and off button I didn't notice any light on the motherboard as I had installed the cover. When the BOIS was shown on the monitor and I checked to see if all was running normal, a few minutes it shown that it was doing a automatic repair. A few minutes nothing was done so I shut down the PC. I removed the case cover and turn the Pc on again. That is when I notice the amber light.

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
I searched for your motherboard on PC part picker to see if there were any pictures of builds with the LED in question. There was one build that shows an amber LED just above the GPU. Is this what you see? It looks like it could be from the Ethernet port, that was the reason I asked. Have you tried unplugging the Ethernet cable to see if it goes away?

I don't know, it's really hard to tell from the pictures I see online? Can you share a photo of the LED?

Reactions: Mantrid-Drone

fjb1933pontiac

Nov 4, 2022
If I had a way to send you a picture of the "back side" ( on right side) facing up of the motherboard there is a 3-1/2" x 1/16" long and wide light channel that the amber light . The light Is more britter around the mic/speaker ports and get dimmer as it travels down and around and end ups at the bottom edge of the board. BTW: Does ASUS have a Support center so I can call.

fjb1933pontiac

Nov 4, 2022
I don't have a cell phone, and don't need one.

So, here is way to see the motherboard light.
In search, type Photo ASUS Prime H410M-A motherboard. Click on Inages of ASUS H410M-a motherboard. Click on where there are firms selling this motherboard. Such as one for $79.99 at B&H Photo-Video Pro. There you will see the Amber(ororange light channel on the left side near the mic/speaker ports. That is where the light that come on when I plug in the power cord to the power supply and back of computer case

In2Photos

Golden Member
Mar 21, 2007
I don't see any reference to this light in the user manual, but I did find a number for support. Are you in the US? +1-812-282-2787

fjb1933pontiac

Nov 4, 2022
I called the number 1-812-282-2787 and the person seems to me didn't know what I was referring too about the light on the motherboard. However, I was told that orange/amber strip is called...Audio Features- LED Illuminated Design-Audio Shielding-Premuim Japanese Audio Capacitors-Dedicated Audio PCB Layers. And all whatever that all means. The person never mention why there is a light glowing on the board.
This computer build is for a good friend in Colorado that needs his computer, and I'm not going to ship him this one. I'm going to run it for a few days as see that happens...without any OS installed.

AnitaPeterson

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2001
Honestly, I am baffled by this attempt to diagnose a motherboard by lights (instead of the tried and true industry-standard speaker beeps).

Also, the whole "LED-light-no-that's-a-light-strip" is so strange, it makes me wonder if the OP isn't seriously over-estimating their computer building prowess. Particularly when "Automatic repair" is mentioned... on a build lacking an operating system.

Makes me think of this: https://timeline.com/los-angeles-light-pollution-ebd60d5acd43

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

Mantrid-Drone

Mar 15, 2014
The problem with that is, from my limited experience with PC MBs, is that many now do not have MB 'speakers'.

With the Gigabyte H87 HD3 I used in my second build it had a speaker header but no speaker. I had to go onto Ebay to buy one. Didn't cost very much at all so you wonder why they did not include it. If you don't like your PC beeping on start up its simple enough to disable it.

I would have missed that comforting everything is alright POST beep at the very least and if anything ever had gone wrong a diagnostic beep sequence pointing to the cause could be very helpful.