Most Secure HD Erasing

lasergecko

Jul 17, 2001
What is the most secure (permanent) way to erase a hard drive so that no data can be recovered but not destory the drive for later use?

If a really big magnet is the answer, do you have to take apart the drive and directly expose the platters to the magent?

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
A big magnet will destroy the drive for later use - there's critical data in there that's put on at the factory - a "low level format" though I don't think that term is really appropriate anymore. Opening the drive is bad too - any dust on the platters could be hit by the read/write heads, and scratch the platters, destroying its ability to hold data.
Best option might be to download a data wiper; Norton's WipeInfo should do the trick. Set it to the Government wipe, then have it do it like 10 times. Format the drive, maybe even use a different filesystem. Wipeinfo again. That should definitely take care of it, at least, I figure it would.
Any other thoughts, anyone?:)
Although, I think the best way to ensure that no data will ever be recovered is to drill several large holes through the entire drive. Then maybe burn it all for good measure. Or heck with that - melt the entire drive. Yes, it may be unusable, but hey, the data's gone, right?:D

lasergecko

Jul 17, 2001
Is there any dos program tnat can boot the machine and do an NSA level or above erasure?
Also, if it is freeware that would be nice.

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
I would think a low level format would be the answer.
I would do that if I had access to the utility. ( I do, on a bios in one of my older machines.)
Second option is one of those apps mentioned above.

BPiersol

Dec 17, 2002
There's a proggy out there called "Evidence Eliminator" that is supposed to destroy all data that you want it to. It'll do some type of magnetic writing or something like that. Maybe give that a try.

Bleep

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just go to the manifacture's site of the hard drive and download their HD utility, it fits on a floppy and will do a write zeros to the drive.
Bleep

n0cmonkey

Elite Member
Jun 10, 2001
Destroying the drive seems like the only real way to get rid of all of the data. But after a certain point of overwriting the data, the chances of recovery of the data is very much related to the amount of money spent to recover the data.