Most reliable used compact SUV for the long haul

EL Pistoffo

Apr 19, 2017
Hi everyone, new member here. Getting ready to finally swap one of our vehicles.

So this question is somewhat along the lines of an earlier thread found here: https://forums.anandtech.com/threads/which-lightly-used-small-suv-crossover-is-for-me.2498442/

My criteria is a little different so I'll list my needs:

Purchase to own
Budget $15k
Mileage 40k max
No older than 3-4 yrs
Live in Florida, no off-road or Snow. May pull a light load such as Wave-Runner
Features: Reliability. Needs to last the long haul 10 years at least.
Rear back-up camera. Wife is insistent on this.
Makes: Foreign. Don't see domestic cars lasting this long or having the reliability. More on makes in below discussion.

This will be our secondary car, light use by wife, so it will not rack up quick mileage. This will be replacing our 2004 Toyota Sienna with 177K miles. The Sienna has been a great car, minimal issues and no breakdowns but it's really starting to show it's age and it's nearing it's time to go. 13 years of use was all we could ask for but we no longer need a large vehicle like a van.

So the compact SUV is what we like. The wife will drive this and she is very easy on vehicles, drives like an old lady. We need another vehicle that will last 10 years at least with good reliability. Going 5+ years without a car payment is a nice feeling. I used to be a certified mechanic while I was in college so most of repairs/maintenance done myself.

I don't think resale value is too important because by the time we are ready to swap cars, they are so old and rundown that they only demand base used value. I've always known Toyotas and Honda's as being the most reliable but I wonder if that still holds true.

A quick look through AutoTrader shows Tuscons, Santa-Fe, CX-5, Rouges, RAVS, etc. Being a Toyota guy, I own a 1996 Tacoma in addition to the Sienna, I'd normally gravitate towards them but I don't find the RAV appealing at all. CRV seems fine. What's been catching my interest is Hyundai. They are priced right but I don't know what their reliability as of late is like. The used Tuscons seem to appeal to me.

Anyways, if you where to buy a used compact SUV to last reliably in long service, best bang for buck, what would it be?

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Put on your beer goggles and love up to that ugly RAV4.

This, or go for the Honda CR-V.

Heard Hyundai Tuscon is ok for reliability, but I wouldn't put my faith in one lasting 10 years trouble free as a used vehicle, which would put it about 14-15 years old by the time your 10 year ownership ends. Toyota or Honda.

Then again, if you don't mind trading a few years for price, a Lexus RX 350 would make a decent choice, right with the Toyota or Honda.

Yuriman

Diamond Member
Jun 25, 2004
Easily Honda or Toyota for reliability, but be prepared to pay for it.

Herr Kutz

Platinum Member
Jun 14, 2009
Parents have a 2012 CRV but it's loud as hell and extremely uncomfortable on any trips longer than a couple hours or so. If your trips are short and low speed neither would be an issue.

EL Pistoffo

Apr 19, 2017
Put on your beer goggles and love up to that ugly RAV4.
LOL, well if it's the best choice, then looks be damned.

This, or go for the Honda CR-V.

Heard Hyundai Tuscon is ok for reliability, but I wouldn't put my faith in one lasting 10 years trouble free as a used vehicle, which would put it about 14-15 years old by the time your 10 year ownership ends. Toyota or Honda.

Then again, if you don't mind trading a few years for price, a Lexus RX 350 would make a decent choice, right with the Toyota or Honda.
I could find Tuscons within budget only 2 years old. Longevity is still unknown. I'm not opposed to CR-V, never ridden one though. I have driven the RAV4 in the Colorado Rockies recently. It was ok I guess though severely under-powered for that terrain and not exceptionally smooth or anything.
I like Lexus but I'd have to back almost 10 years and a ton of miles to find one in budget so I think that's a no-go.

Easily Honda or Toyota for reliability, but be prepared to pay for it.
Yes, I'm familiar with the cost premium already owning 2 Toyota's. I wasn't totally sure if these manufactures where still king of reliability, especially considering the number of recalls but I guess they still are.

Parents have a 2012 CRV but it's loud as hell and extremely uncomfortable on any trips longer than a couple hours or so. If your trips are short and low speed neither would be an issue.
That's the same feeling I get from the RAV. Since the wife will use it for going to work and a few errands around the house less than perfect ride quality is acceptable. Long trips are almost always done in my company van.

I probably should have mentioned that I am somewhat open to a 4-door passenger car or a crossover instead of small SUV but still prefer the SUV. SUV's are kind of like Pickups right now, they are demanding a high price which sucks as a buyer. They only ray of hope I see is an over supply of used cars beginning to emerge from so many leases. I have a few months to to wait, no dire hurry yet.

So RAV and CR-V are my main contenders ATM. Plenty of 2014 CR-V's and a few RAV's.

Thanks for all the replies thus far.

Last edited:

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Jeep Patriot for sure.

Just Kidding. Honda CRV seems to fit you perfectly. RAV4 would also work if you can get over the looks (personally I don't love the look of the CRV either).

If it were me...I would buy the CX-5, but I would not expect it to be as reliable or functional.

chubbyfatazn

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2006
Not sure if it matters to you, but there's a V6 option for the previous-gen Rav4s (only an I4 option on the CRVs). Rated at 3500lbs towing vs 1500lbs for the CRV.

I have a 2008 CRV LX (not my DD) and I can't say I'm a fan. It does the job but I prefer Toyota's aesthetics inside (e.g. soft touch plastics).

Reactions: monkeydelmagico

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I'd go with Mazda or Hyundai because I don't like my dads Rav4. The CRVs I have been in are uncomfortable and loud (worse even than my 2008 Forester.)

EL Pistoffo

Apr 19, 2017
Jeep Patriot for sure.

Just Kidding. Honda CRV seems to fit you perfectly. RAV4 would also work if you can get over the looks (personally I don't love the look of the CRV either).

If it were me...I would buy the CX-5, but I would not expect it to be as reliable or functional.
The CX-5 looks sharp but looks don't get you from point A to B and don't trump reliability in my book.

I need to give the CR-V a test spin.

Not sure if it matters to you, but there's a V6 option for the previous-gen Rav4s (only an I4 option on the CRVs). Rated at 3500lbs towing vs 1500lbs for the CRV.

I have a 2008 CRV LX (not my DD) and I can't say I'm a fan. It does the job but I prefer Toyota's aesthetics inside (e.g. soft touch plastics).
So you prefer the RAV, noted.

I was aware of the older V6 option. I can't say I need it. The 4 cyl will suffice and the fuel economy is a plus. For pulling something a bit heavier I have my Tacoma.

I'd go with Mazda or Hyundai because I don't like my dads Rav4. The CRVs I have been in are uncomfortable and loud (worse even than my 2008 Forester.)
You like neither RAV or CR-V. I can't say I'm a fan of Mazda reliability, they've had some lemons in the past. Hyundai is new to me in the sense that they weren't around when I was a practicing auto-mechanic. I've heard they weren't much way back but have improved significantly as of recent. They seem to be a lot of bang for the buck but if it won't give me 8-10 yrs with little trouble then it's not what I'm looking for. I need some more input related to Hyundais quality.

Definitely not a Ford Explorer. They are called the Exploder for a reason. Don't even consider it.
LOL, I don't consider any domestic vehicle for these needs. If I were leasing for a few years then sure, otherwise forget it.

I've heard no mention of the Nissan Rouge. It seems that some 2016 models can be had within my budget. How's the Rogue fair? I don't hear good things about CVA trannies.

Last edited:

chubbyfatazn

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2006
So you prefer the RAV, noted.

I can't say I definitely prefer it - the only ones I've sat in are old enough to still have the spare mounted on the tailgate. But if reliability is as big for you as it is for me then I'd seriously do what another poster said and put on the beer goggles.

'93 Caravan, new - complete POS, blew tranny before 60k and A/C was dead by late '01; traded in for Sienna
'95 Corolla, new - no issues whatsoever; wouldn't have gotten rid of if I didn't want something bigger; traded in for 4R
'02 Sienna, new - interior plastics are crap, power door sensor broke after 4 years, keyless entry broke after ~7 years, but mechanicals are still fine; no routine maintenance other than oil changes, belts, and other basics (e.g. tires/brakes/filters); still have
'03 4Runner, new - DD; nothing anywhere is/has broken; no routine maintenance other than oil changes and other basics; intend to drive until it's totaled for whatever reason, I absolutely love this thing
'08 CRV, new - does the job, but meh for everything else; no routine maintenance other than oil changes and other basics; still have
'09 RX350, CPO ('12 @ 24.4k) - meh; no routine maintenance other than oil changes and other basics; still have

All anecdotal, of course. Maybe I've been lucky, but I like my track record with Toyota at least. I have a lead foot and occasionally haul a load, but the rest of us are pretty basic and boring drivers (school/gym/groceries/etc).

As far as ride and seat comfort goes, it's RX350 > 4R > Sienna > CRV for me for both. Not a big deal for short distances, but I've taken all of them on 5-6 hour nonstop drives and remember a very sore ass after getting out of the CRV at the end.

FWIW I test-drove a Rogue back in '07 and took the CRV over it partly because I didn't like the CVT. But I recently had a rental '15 Sentra and actually didn't have any complaints about its tranny. Although I just used it to get from hotel to office and back.

Edit: I think the real question is "what does your wife want?" :p

Last edited:

Conroe

Mar 12, 2006
A Mazda3 hatch has about all the utility a small SUV has and it's better looking than a lot of them.

EL Pistoffo

Apr 19, 2017
I can't say I definitely prefer it - the only ones I've sat in are old enough to still have the spare mounted on the tailgate. But if reliability is as big for you as it is for me then I'd seriously do what another poster said and put on the beer goggles.

'93 Caravan, new - complete POS, blew tranny before 60k and A/C was dead by late '01; traded in for Sienna
'95 Corolla, new - no issues whatsoever; wouldn't have gotten rid of if I didn't want something bigger; traded in for 4R
'02 Sienna, new - interior plastics are crap, power door sensor broke after 4 years, keyless entry broke after ~7 years, but mechanicals are still fine; no routine maintenance other than oil changes, belts, and other basics (e.g. tires/brakes/filters); still have
'03 4Runner, new - DD; nothing anywhere is/has broken; no routine maintenance other than oil changes and other basics; intend to drive until it's totaled for whatever reason, I absolutely love this thing
'08 CRV, new - does the job, but meh for everything else; no routine maintenance other than oil changes and other basics; still have
'09 RX350, CPO ('12 @ 24.4k) - meh; no routine maintenance other than oil changes and other basics; still have

All anecdotal, of course. Maybe I've been lucky, but I like my track record with Toyota at least. I have a lead foot and occasionally haul a load, but the rest of us are pretty basic and boring drivers (school/gym/groceries/etc).

FWIW I test-drove a Rogue back in '07 and took the CRV over it partly because I didn't like the CVT. But I recently had a rental '15 Sentra and actually didn't have any complaints about its tranny. Although I just used it to get from hotel to office and back.

Edit: I think the real question is "what does your wife want?" :p
My wife doesn't give a crap about cars as long as it works and is easy to drive. She wouldn't want to drive a huge 3500 diesel, lol. The only thing she wants in the next car is a backup camera.
I just saw what looked like a very new RAV and I must say it looked pretty good. The older ones with the rear mounted spare looked horrible, cheesy. I'd say I'm leaning towards the RAV. Like you, Toyota has never let me down so I'll stick to what works.

Our 2004 Sienna had the soft to touch rubber dashboard crack profusely over the years. Through a factory recall, Toyota just replaced the entire assembly a few months ago.
I need to see what I can get for our Sienna (177k miles) as a trade in or whatever. I can add that amount to the $15k budget if needed.

In another 10 years when this next car goes, the follow up will be a nice convertible I think.

Thx for the input.

EL Pistoffo

Apr 19, 2017
A Mazda3 hatch has about all the utility a small SUV has and it's better looking than a lot of them.
The Mazda3 fits easily within budget. Looks like an pretty interesting car, good fuel economy. I think in reliability it still suffers, about average. It's a shame that so many nice cars aren't built to last anymore.

chubbyfatazn

Golden Member
Oct 14, 2006
The only thing she wants in the next car is a backup camera.

Oh yeah, my 4R is under the dash recall as well. Forgot about that.

Just saying - if working on my 4R is of any indication, you can probably easily add the backup camera yourself if the car already has an infotainment screen (which if not you can also easily add). I had to go aftermarket for mine, but since it was a factory option on yours it's probably just a matter of hooking it into the head unit and running it through to the back.

Toyota is pretty good about having harnesses and harness adapters available.

Edit: for example http://www.emeraldintegrations.com/toyota-rav4-oem-rear-view-backup-camera-system.html

Reactions: EL Pistoffo

EL Pistoffo

Apr 19, 2017
Oh yeah, my 4R is under the dash recall as well. Forgot about that.

Just saying - if working on my 4R is of any indication, you can probably easily add the backup camera yourself if the car already has an infotainment screen (which if not you can also easily add). I had to go aftermarket for mine, but since it was a factory option on yours it's probably just a matter of hooking it into the head unit and running it through to the back.

Toyota is pretty good about having harnesses and harness adapters available.

Edit: for example http://www.emeraldintegrations.com/toyota-rav4-oem-rear-view-backup-camera-system.html

That's great info to have, thx. Not much to it if I need to add it. Lots of the used RAV's I've seen seem to have the camera installed.

About that dash recall. You need to contact the dealer and have them order the replacement dash. It took at least 6 months for ours to be ready.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I'll throw out the Subaru Forester. There is a reason Subaru has the highest customer loyalty.

Plus if you do have to work on them, the parts are relatively inexpensive and they are very mechanic friendly.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
If you don't mind road noise and aren't looking for comfort, the CRV is a great choice.
The RAV4 I just don't like mostly how it looks, but they are reliable and dependable.

Nov 29, 2006
Id take Rav4 over a CRV if it were me. I test drove a CRV. Piece of crap IMO. Super loud engine and road noise.

EL Pistoffo

Apr 19, 2017
I'll throw out the Subaru Forester. There is a reason Subaru has the highest customer loyalty.

Plus if you do have to work on them, the parts are relatively inexpensive and they are very mechanic friendly.
I've been hearing Subaru's can be hard to find, not enough supply.

If you don't mind road noise and aren't looking for comfort, the CRV is a great choice.
The RAV4 I just don't like mostly how it looks, but they are reliable and dependable.
I'ts not that I don't mind road noise, but would would rather avoid it if possible, especially if it's a lot.

Id take Rav4 over a CRV if it were me. I test drove a CRV. Piece of crap IMO. Super loud engine and road noise.
LOL. Good to know. I'm a "Toyota first" guy.

postmortemIA

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2006
I've been hearing Subaru's can be hard to find, not enough supply.

I'ts not that I don't mind road noise, but would would rather avoid it if possible, especially if it's a lot.

LOL. Good to know. I'm a "Toyota first" guy.
Forester might be little harder to get with exact options since it is made in Japan, but rest of Subaru's fleet is more or less made in the US.

NutBucket

Lifer
Aug 30, 2000
Yeah, there's a heavy Subaru tax too. Can I interest you in my "low" mileage 2015 Forester? LOL

JimKiler

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 2002
The Mazda3 fits easily within budget. Looks like an pretty interesting car, good fuel economy. I think in reliability it still suffers, about average. It's a shame that so many nice cars aren't built to last anymore.

The Mazda 3 has to be above average. it is their top selling car and is not a lemon like the CX-7 was with the turbo. I finally replaced my Protege 5 after 188K miles and i know friends with the 3 and 6 that have high miles and no reapirs besides normal wear and tear (brakes and tires, etc.)

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Dude, used Subaru's in my area and price range have very heavy mileage and/or many years, no-can-do.

Yeah, used Subaru's do tend to stupid expensive. I haven't looked into used Toyotas or Hondas in a decaded so I don't know how they compare.

If you can find a '12 or '13 Forester it may be a bit cheaper since it was the previous model and gets worse mileage than a '14+. There weren't many '13s though because the '14s started shipping in like March of 13.