Most overrated bands?

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
Hmm, I've never really payed much attention to the drumming, but now that you mention it, I suppsoe the drumming isnt too bad. The entire melody and vocals are just weak, though, IMO. And, of course, I can assure you that Travis is nothing when compared to the likes of Mike Portnoy. :) (Dont know who he is? Check out the song "Finally Free (Live from NY) by Dream Theater, and listen from about 7:30 to around 10:30. Best drumming ever)

Mucman

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I'll have to vote for RUSH.
When are Geddy's ball's gonna drop??

Dems fightin' words! ;)

SWScorch - I can't believe you mentioned the drummer of Blink182 in the same sentence as Mike Portnoy! As long as you don't add in Peart there anywhere :p

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by: jaeger66
Originally posted by: SludgeFactory

Do you know who Bon Scott is?

Well I know that he sure couldn't hold his liquor.

Ever listen to any Bon Scott era AC/DC? I pretty much wrote them off as boring until I went back and listened to that stuff (pre Back in Black). Much better than what they did after 1980. Bon's voice just fit better with the band, plus the albums were a lot more consistent.

monkied

Jul 19, 2001
This thread has mostly been attacking rock and pop. How bout one for hip hop? P diddy/puffy/sean combs is overrated IMO.

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Ramsnake
Time and again people make the same mistakes......the question is abt the most over-rated bands and not abt the sh!ttiest band or the band u hate....bsb or nsync or britney spears can hardly make this list...i mean do u see any rock journos say they are the greatest and the most talented or something...

my list of most over-rated bands/artists in music history.

1. Bob Dylan
2. Radiohead ( I loved radiohead since pablo honey, yet i think they are ridiculously over-rated)
3. AC/DC ( great great band but definitley over-rated, for example the past few years they come up with the same sounding crappy albums, yet the journos make an exception when it comes to acdc saying that all their albums sound the same but they are all great??)
4. DMB & Grateful Dead ( Over-rated + Bunch of H$)
5. Bruce Springsteen ( Another great great musician, but ridiculously over-rated, is it a coincidence that both bob dylan and springsteen get 5/5 stars frm that junk rock mag RS inspite of releasing average albums, no matter what is put out the rock journalists kiss the arse of bruce and bob)
6. Last but not the least Jethrotull.

I pretty much agree with your list, although AC/DC really doesn't belong on there because they've never been respected by critics and can't be overrated in that sense. Nirvana, Velvet Underground, the Pixies, and U2 are also overrated by the critics.

There are plenty of bands that have a big following but really aren't that good -- Kiss, Grateful Dead, Blink 182, Linkin Park, etc. But who cares, if you like them you like them.

Groups like Metallica, the Beatles, and Led Zeppelin can't be overrated just because of the sheer number of people that have ever picked up a guitar and started a band purely because of them. Those are hugely influential bands, whether a rock critic says so or not.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: monkied
This thread has mostly been attacking rock and pop. How bout one for hip hop? P diddy/puffy/sean combs is overrated IMO.

ALL Hip Hop is over-rated....

How's that?

amish

Jfur

Diamond Member
Jul 9, 2001
Sting (as a solo artist)
Ugly Kid Joe (thankfully faded) :disgust:
Eminem

DamageInc

May 26, 2001
Originally posted by: jaeger66

Yeah, the late 90's stuff blows but Kill/Master/Ride are another story. If Damage, Inc. doesn't make you want to go ona killing spree then you have no pulse.

Yeah, I know I'm late to this discussion, but damnit, why would I make anyone go on a killing spree?? Come on. Ask anyone I've traded with in FS/FT - they know I am a good person. I would never want anyone to go on a killing spree. Don't beleive him, folks. I am a nice person.

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
Originally posted by: SWScorch And, of course, I can assure you that Travis is nothing when compared to the likes of Mike Portnoy.

^
|
Understatment of the year! ;)

divinemartyr

Platinum Member
Oct 18, 2000
Hey if lots of guys like Tool, that's great... I personally don't care for them, but I just wish my friends (and my entire high school area) would stop treating them like the second coming of christ. I mean we've got guys here who will go crazy and start wanting to fight and stuff if someone says something negative about tool, or doubts their supreme musical abilities in any way.... it got old like 3 years ago.

Tool is my favorite band. Most of Tool's fans are very into their music. Not many people like Tool, and and only like them 'a little bit'. Tool appeals to a rather large following, and those who don't like it, typically do not understand it. Not understanding music, is not a reason to attack it. If you cannot understand it and it doesn't get to your subconscious, why don't you just ignore it rather than getting upset about Tool's fans and their devotion to the band?

It's not just a coincidence that among the population of New Zealand, more people per capita listen to Tool's music than any other artist compared to any other country in the world.

I know that awards don't always mean anything, however, Tool has won a Grammy for their musical efforts. Not to mention that this year, they have been nominated for a TEC, or a Technical Excellence & Creativity award in the category of Record Production/Album. Call me crazy, but Tool is not overrated.

Simply disliking a band does not make them overrated.

Want an example of a truly overrated band? How about Creed. Just like someone else said, Pearl Jam 7 years late to the party, with twice the fans. Been there, done that. I like a couple of Creed's songs (the first to come to mind is "What If") however, I still think they're very overrated.

dm

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by: divinemartyr
Hey if lots of guys like Tool, that's great... I personally don't care for them, but I just wish my friends (and my entire high school area) would stop treating them like the second coming of christ. I mean we've got guys here who will go crazy and start wanting to fight and stuff if someone says something negative about tool, or doubts their supreme musical abilities in any way.... it got old like 3 years ago.

Tool is my favorite band. Most of Tool's fans are very into their music. Not many people like Tool, and and only like them 'a little bit'. Tool appeals to a rather large following, and those who don't like it, typically do not understand it. Not understanding music, is not a reason to attack it. If you cannot understand it and it doesn't get to your subconscious, why don't you just ignore it rather than getting upset about Tool's fans and their devotion to the band?

It's not just a coincidence that among the population of New Zealand, more people per capita listen to Tool's music than any other artist compared to any other country in the world.

I know that awards don't always mean anything, however, Tool has won a Grammy for their musical efforts. Not to mention that this year, they have been nominated for a TEC, or a Technical Excellence & Creativity award in the category of Record Production/Album. Call me crazy, but Tool is not overrated.

Simply disliking a band does not make them overrated.

Want an example of a truly overrated band? How about Creed. Just like someone else said, Pearl Jam 7 years late to the party, with twice the fans. Been there, done that. I like a couple of Creed's songs (the first to come to mind is "What If") however, I still think they're very overrated.

dm
One of the best pieces of music I've heard in a long time is TOOL's version of Zepplin's No Quarter. Song is about 10 minutes long and completely awesome. MJK voice dosent hurt it either. TOOL rocks.

Tangerine

Jul 25, 2001
omg the thread that won't die!

I wouldn't be one to call any band overrated, who am I after all? Hey if you can make it in that business, you've got something going on for you.

I will say that I don't understand why the Eagles are so overrated (lol)
The most interesting thing that ever happened to them was Joe Walsh.

And you youngsters quit picking on Led Zeppelin! Sheesh. Jimmy Page=guitar god.

jackpot

Jul 11, 2002
I haven't been listening to Metallica lately, but I recognize how diverse and quality their music is. From the fast killer metal in Kill Em All to the heavy harmonic metal of Ride the Lightening, Master of Puppets and ...And Justice for All, to the near dreamy thrash metal of their self release, and to the hipper and more refined Load and Reload releases. I am probably one of the few who enjoys songs from all phases of Metallica's career because I am open to new types of music. Unfontunately, there are 80's Metallica fans who wish Metallica never released the black album, those who hate Metallica because they "sold out" or because Urlich screwed with Napster, etc.

I can go from 'Phantom Lord' to 'Fade to Black' to 'Master of Puppets' to 'One' to 'Unforgiven' to 'The House that Jack Built' to 'Fuel' to 'No Leaf Clover' and love every minute of it.

VFAA

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2001
Originally posted by: dparker
Nsync
Backstreet Boys
Linkin Park
Anything on MTV...

And no the aren't the most overrated in history, but I can't remember back that far :eek::)

Except the MTV thingy... But those particular bands had to crawl through the streets to get to the top and now keep whining about it to get more respect or something. BS.

hungrygoose

Apr 7, 2001
tool- as someone has already said, most people that don't like tool don't understand it.....you have to poor alot into that music in order to get anything out of it.....it's not something you just pop in for background music.....maynard is probably one of the most talented lyricsts and performers of this generation.....loads of passion and extremely deep lyrics.......

how about slipknot??....they suck....no talent at all just a bunch of screaming.........and yes i have listened to their stuff....teens walking around with their t-shirts on is just a way to piss off their parents in my opinion

lynyrd skynyrd- terrible musically and lyrically yet hold some standing as a classic band?.....what's that all about?

eagles- pretty much the same as skynyrd's problems.....no talent

beatles- the later stuff was great....their earlier stuff was the first boy band crap ever.....the songs lennon wrote were great, mccartney's sucked

widespread panic- grateful dead wannabe's, only stoners get into their music which is probably why they have such a huge following

godsmack- kick major ass.....guitar rocks, vocals rock, lyrics are deeper than they would appear at first glance (voodoo for instance)

rolling stones- no talent......repetitive lyrics......have u ever listened to the entire song of "satisfaction"?......repetitive

Siva

Diamond Member
Mar 8, 2001
ok, here's my list

DMB- being stoned at every concert does NOT make you better, especially when you bore me in the first place.
Nirvana- Nirvana was good, and influential, but there were other bands around the same time that were every bit as important in shaping the 90s music scense, Pearl jam and the Smashing Pumpkins being my two fav. Only reason they got their legendary fame, and we all know this, is cause Kurt Cobain died.
Godsmack- Ok voodoo was good, the rest sucks.
Metallica- they WERE good, till they sucked. I bet I could kick Lars's ass.

bands i like that were insulted
Tool
Beatles (McCartney did have some good songs, Hey Jude for example)
Rush
AC/DC
Zep

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
Metallica- they WERE good, till they sucked. I bet I could kick Lars's ass.
Yeah right
rolleye.gif

LoqT

Feb 19, 2001
I agree that Linkin Park is overrated. Their lyrics sound like whiny boy band songs..... whine whine whine. STFU already.... I used to like Staind too..... but that guys voice started to get on my nerves the second song I heard from him. Oh and PAPA Roach blows goats too....

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by: hungrygoosebeatles- the later stuff was great....their earlier stuff was the first boy band crap ever.....the songs lennon wrote were great, mccartney's sucked

Really? So which Beatles songs by Lennon did you like? Which McCartney songs "sucked"?

I would NEVER consider the Beatles overrated.

austin316

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
ALL Hip Hop is over-rated....

False. Go listen to the Pharcyde, Heiroglyphics, Jurassic 5, A Tribe Called Quest, ect... now that is good HIP-hop. Not that mainstream (c)rap.

Rio Rebel

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
When I first saw this thread, I immediately thought, "Some butt-reaming idiot is going to name Rush."

LMAO.

Until Rush is overwhelmingly considered the greatest rock band of all time, it is by definition impossible for them to be overrated. ;)