Most overrated bands?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 5, 2000
Blink does suck. They're the same 355/577/799 power chords over and over and over again. Their drummer is the only real "talented" person out of the group

Demosthenes

Jul 23, 2000
Hey if lots of guys like Tool, that's great... I personally don't care for them, but I just wish my friends (and my entire high school area) would stop treating them like the second coming of christ. I mean we've got guys here who will go crazy and start wanting to fight and stuff if someone says something negative about tool, or doubts their supreme musical abilities in any way.... it got old like 3 years ago.

jaeger66

Banned
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Blink does suck. They're the same 355/577/799 power chords over and over and over again. Their drummer is the only real "talented" person out of the group

Good point, I think their drummer is extremely talented.

Ramsnake

Apr 12, 2002
Time and again people make the same mistakes......the question is abt the most over-rated bands and not abt the sh!ttiest band or the band u hate....bsb or nsync or britney spears can hardly make this list...i mean do u see any rock journos say they are the greatest and the most talented or something...

my list of most over-rated bands/artists in music history.

1. Bob Dylan
2. Radiohead ( I loved radiohead since pablo honey, yet i think they are ridiculously over-rated)
3. AC/DC ( great great band but definitley over-rated, for example the past few years they come up with the same sounding crappy albums, yet the journos make an exception when it comes to acdc saying that all their albums sound the same but they are all great??)
4. DMB & Grateful Dead ( Over-rated + Bunch of H$)
5. Bruce Springsteen ( Another great great musician, but ridiculously over-rated, is it a coincidence that both bob dylan and springsteen get 5/5 stars frm that junk rock mag RS inspite of releasing average albums, no matter what is put out the rock journalists kiss the arse of bruce and bob)
6. Last but not the least Jethrotull.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
6. Last but not the least Jethrotull.

Dude, I was with ya up until there....though I really like AC/DC.

I really don't know how Jethro Tull can be over-rated. I never hear anything about them. I bet half the dim-wits on this board don't even know who Jethro Tull is....

amish

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: jaeger66
Originally posted by: amnesiac 2.0

When you have to resort to insults and direct attacks on someone's character in addition to unbased assumptions (I've listened to a LOT of Metallica, thank you very much) your pedestal gets rather wobbly.

When you make ridiculous claims like "All their songs are somber 10 minute ballads with no variety", your pedastal has just crumbled to dust.

At least I didn't result to juvenile name calling and telling you to shut up because I ran out of defenses. :D

Chaotic42

Lifer
Jun 15, 2001
In no particular order

3 Doors Down - POS jerks, sub-par performance
Dave Matthews Band - A few good songs, most sound the same to me
The Monkees - They're alright. That's about it. Nothing spectacular
Korn - It's just old now
Bob Dylan - Excellent song writter, terrible singer.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
LOL !!Why do I get the feeling that the "what isn't cool" list is the biggest ?
On the contrary, I liike a lot more bands than I dislike.. by a wide margin.

skace

Lifer
Jan 23, 2001
Okay, perhaps someone should set a standard for the term overrated in this thread. Because from where I'm sitting it seems to mean: overplayed, liked by people I don't like, no recent songs, I just don't like them, too whiney, or hyped beyond their own talent.

Now, according to this broad deffinition, the following bands are overrated:
Boy Bands [Nsync, Backstreet Boys, Ad Nauseum], Led Zepplin, Linkin Park, Blink 182, David Bowie, The Beatles, Dave Mathews Band, Tool, Nirvanna, Creed, Aerosmith, Metallica, Gorillaz, Staind, Limp Bizkit, Korn, Godsmack, ACDC, etc.

Who is overrating these? Why are they overrated? What makes these bands different from countless others I could name at this exact second?

What I consider overrated, is a band that gets lots of popularity and hype based on looks more than their actual musical talent. Yes, I'm talking boy bands. I do consider them very over rated, based on talking to my sister about why she likes and how come. She basically likes a boy band for a month / few months, then pretends they never existed. Their music isn't great and if it isn't in video format, she won't even listen to them. I think that has something to say for the musical talent of the group.

I hate Metallica's war on mp3s and recent cds, a lot, but I don't think that coins them "overrated". I think some of their older cds are still amazing musical feats. I think they did an amazing job on their orchestrated cd also even though his voice wasn't as great as it used to be (yea, I know thats a recent one). Any rating Metallica gets at this point, I think they earned in the long run.

Any cd that I can listen to from track 1 to the end, without skipping any, is a cd that I give a lot of credit to. Linkin Park's first cd fit in that category and because of that, I would say they earned the rating they carry now. I've heard many rumors about them and lots of people who hate them for no reason, but at the end of the day they still produced a cd in which I can listen to and enjoy from track 1 to the end. Whether they can live up to the rating they've now earned is a good question.

I could write about every band up there and how I feel, but the bottom line is I think most of the bands in that second paragraph earned the rating they recieved based on their own musical achievements. I used to think The Beatles were just the original boy band, until my friend forced me to listen to a majority of their lyrics. I cannot deny that they have some very good songs, while not really playing to my tastes, are still very impressive musically.

I do agree that a lot of the music videos on MTV are overrated. Usually the bands in the music videos have to rely on their image a lot more than their actual talent to keep them popular. I consider this the definition of an overrated band.

A5

Diamond Member
Jun 9, 2000
I mean how bad is DMB version of "All along the watchtower"?
I'm glad I've never heard it. Dylan's original version was bad enough. :(

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
I'm glad I've never heard it. Dylan's original version was bad enough
No kidding. I actually saw Dylan about 7 years ago and I must say he sucked hind tit. I actually left half way through the show because it was so painful to listen to him.

Desslok

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2001
Can we go with the most annoying front person?

1.)Beyonce Knowles(sp) Can not STAND her. She looks fake, like a chocolate Barbie doll. And give up that whole I am good Christian girl act.
2.) Fred Durst - Your getting old no one cares if you screw Christina anymore. I think half the rap guys have had her by now.
3.) Moby - Eat some protein guy you look like a Nazi death camp survior.

Fee; free to flame or add to the list.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
Originally posted by: zod
Whew.
A lot to recap.

1. Zepplin - Stairway rules. Not into all their stuff, but HUGELY influential. Mad props.
2. DMB - Agreed.
3. Boy Bands - Duh. They all suck. So did New Kids.
4. Linkin Park - Don't get me wrong, I don't love nu-metal, but these guys actually know how to put a song together, unlike most of their peers.
5. Aerosmith - They should go away already.
6. Metallica - best metal band ever? Incredible musically. Just not in the past 10 years really. Truly gifted, even if you don't like metal, you should appreciate them. (kill em all is speed metal. meh. After that, and up to the Black album... wow, so good).
7. Blink - Musically? Maybe not, but they're a LOT of fun.
8. Gorillaz - fun, but yes very overrated. M1A1 is good though.
9. Staind - yeap. They suck.
10. Incubus - Same band as Staind? yeap. They suck.
11. Limp Bizkit - Nookie is good. Not a whole lot else.
12. Tool - I'm not into them all that much, but theyre creative, if a bit stark.
13. Creed - Pearl Jam (a poor man's Nirvana [flame bait]), just sludgier and 8 years late to the party. They don't completely suck, but I don't understand their immense popularity.

And lastly glenn1, I agree that bands like Zepplin aren't only judged by the quality of their music per se, but they were SO influential. I mean, they are pretty much the TEMPLATE for what developed into metal. When I was in 6th grade (1990ish) and I popped in Metallica's Black album, my MOM said "hey, these guys sound kind of like Led Zepplin". Do I listen to Zepplin albums? No, but I recognize that James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich did, and were influenced by them. I don't listen to the Velvet Underground all the time either, but recognize that they were very influential to bands like Nirvana.

Zepplin has had little or no influence on music since the 80's bands. Plus, GAWD they were boring. And Page is a rapist. The Who were much better. The Beatles and Hendrix have had a much larger influence on modern bands.

At one point, DMB was a group of talented musicians fronted by a songwriter who was putting out some interesting and new stuff. But it's like each new album is the same songs re-recorded in a lossy format, they're the same but crappier and crappier.

Can't argue with the boy bands. :)

Dude, Linkin Park is without a doubt the worst band in the nu-metal genre. They aren't creative, they aren't sincere, and they're try-hards. The raps suck. The melodies suck. The guitarist is suck. And the lyrics are so bad I nearly poop myself laughing when I hear them.

Aerosmith had one or two interesting albums and then disappeared. They returned as overly-polished old guys playing playing movie soundtrack songs they didn't write. sigh.

Metallica are not gifted. Anyone can write long songs if you want to immortilize every brain fart you've ever had. Their lead guitarist is one of the worst musicians around, he has the worst sense of melody I've ever heard. Ulrich is a pansy with an ego problem, and thinks because he used to play with a double bass drum he's talented. the boom-crack-boom-boom-crack beat got old after the first 30 seconds of the first song they ever wrote, but he still uses it over and over again.

the problem with blink is they used to be better (and more fun). their previous drummer was better too.

gorillaz - speaking of brain farts... :)

staind sucks. blander than plain white bread.

incubus gets progressively blander, unfortuanately. they stopped taking the right drugs.

limp bizkit. they aren't as bad as linkin park but that's not saying much. they lose further points for ego, further for stealing people's material in the guitar-world fiasco, and further for losing their only talented member.

tool - you really need to be in the right mindset or be taking the right drugs to appreciate these guys. once you're there, it's obvious they're one of the best bands of all time, and constantly getting better.

creed really bites, but pearl jam? are you on crack? late to the party? "ten" was out before "nevermind," and was ten times deeper musically, emotionally, and mentally. an unlike nirvana they have been able to evolve. nirvana never wrote more than one song, really. it was just that same old loud chorus/soft verse cliche.

Mani

Diamond Member
Aug 9, 2001
Originally posted by: rgwalt
Originally posted by: Mani
Originally posted by: rgwalt
Originally posted by: Legendary
Tool and Creed

Tool is one of the best bands in the industry. I dare you to name a better band.

Thanks for proving my point.

What point is that? Better non-industry bands? Well, you could be right. I'm always willing to be proved wrong. Fire some names and I'll check them out.

Ryan

I feel Tool is overrated because so many of their fans think they are god's gift to music. I think there's more enjoyable music out there, but throwing out names is worthless since music superiority/inferiority is all completely subjective. What I may find to be better music could suck in your eyes, or vice-versa.

I don't think tool is overpopular, or even overrated in their musical talent - I just don't think they are nearly as bloody amazing as their fans make them out to be.

jaeger66

Banned
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by: thomsbrain

tool - you really need to be in the right mindset or be taking the right drugs to appreciate these guys. once you're there, it's obvious they're one of the best bands of all time, and constantly getting better.

Are you sh*tting me? Tool? All their albums have 2 or 3 brilliant songs and the rest is pure crap(even for filler it's bad). They should just stick to releasing EPs.

ATLien247

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
I love Tool, yet hate DMB. Which one is over-rated again? :confused:

This is all subjective, folks...

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
No Doubt

I'm surprised this band hasn't got even an 'honorable mention' yet. Gwenn is nice to look at and has a good voice . . . but the band is overproduced, overpromoted (hyped) and overrated.

An older overrated band . . . what about the Rolling Stones? I guess with such a Looooong career it's easier to pick on them (as with David Bowie - now - even though he was the definition of 'alternative' in his early days).

Then - again - ALL popular bands are overrated by their promoters. ;)

SWScorch

Diamond Member
May 13, 2001
Metallica - this isn ironic because Metallica is my favorite band. Kill 'Em All is pretty good, as is Black, but everything in between is simply awesome. Ride the Lightning is the best album ever. However, after Black, everything just went downhill. Sure, there are a few songs from Load and Reload that I like (Until it Sleeps, Fuel, Unforgiven II) but the rest are just "blah." S & M was pretty good I thought, since a fair amount of their songs were pretty old, and I think the symphony sounded excellent when organized with the metal ensemble. But srtill, in the past 12 years, Metallica has gone from being the best metal band to a generic, sad, rock band.

Blink 182 - I like two of their songs, "Dammit" and "Adam's Song." But their stuff is so simple, even I could play it! Simple is not always bad; sometimes the simplest songs are the catchiest, but in my opinion, Blink just doesnt try hard enough to actually see if they have talent, and their songs are annoying.

Limp Bizkit - I hate them. Nuff said

Korn - I really like Korn's musical aspect, but the vocals are just atrocious. I think if Korn made an instrumental, it would be really cool. (They havent.... have they??)

Kylie Minogue - shes not all that hot and she sounds like crap and looks skanky.

Gorillaz - they are just plain irritating. Something about their "music" makes me want to kill myself repeatedly.

Thats all I got for now. I'm actually pretty bitter about most of today's music that gets radio time, so most "radio-friendly" bands also earn my disapproval, although a select few, like Staind and uhhhh, well, I guess just Staind, arent too bad. I can see why people dont like Staind; its very angst-filled and can be construed as whining, but quite frankly, I can relate to it, and besides, the guitarist is just cool :p

mpitts

Lifer
Jun 9, 2000
Originally posted by: SWScorch
Blink 182 - I like two of their songs, "Dammit" and "Adam's Song." But their stuff is so simple, even I could play it! Simple is not always bad; sometimes the simplest songs are the catchiest, but in my opinion, Blink just doesnt try hard enough to actually see if they have talent, and their songs are annoying.

Travis is one of the best drummers I have heard in a while. He is flat-out awesome.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: mpitts
Originally posted by: SWScorch

Travis is one of the best drummers I have heard in a while. He is flat-out awesome.

In a (weak) defense of Blink, they are pretty good (and funny) in concert.

Now, can anyone come up with ANY defense of No Doubt?

hpkeeper

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Tool? Over-rated? F*ck you all that have said that. They're an awesome group. They're one of the few groups that I have seen that don't go out on the stage and say "buy our next album coming out in _____ Of next year" They get up on stage and they play their music, and they play it great. I went to see the concert last year that they had in Albany and it was spectacular. I haven't been to a better concert. You really have no appreciation for a band and how well they play their music until you see them live. Your insight to them is completely different when you hear a song that you thought sucked, played live. Not only that.... TOOL gets up on stage and plays their music.... That's all they do, they don't put on a big show with a bunch of lights and whatnot, it's just them with their instruments on stage, they do their job and it just kicks every other bands ass.

I am by far not a hard-core TOOL fan, but until you hear those "filler" songs live, you have no right to kick them around. I thought those filler songs sucked too, then I saw them live and I can listen to all their albums all the way through and think each song is great. TOOL kicks ass... just because they're not all show and they're not your favorite band... doesn't mean that they suck. BTW... TOOL isn't my favorite band.