Most overrated bands?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

zod

Oct 10, 1999
Whew.
A lot to recap.

1. Zepplin - Stairway rules. Not into all their stuff, but HUGELY influential. Mad props.
2. DMB - Agreed.
3. Boy Bands - Duh. They all suck. So did New Kids.
4. Linkin Park - Don't get me wrong, I don't love nu-metal, but these guys actually know how to put a song together, unlike most of their peers.
5. Aerosmith - They should go away already.
6. Metallica - best metal band ever? Incredible musically. Just not in the past 10 years really. Truly gifted, even if you don't like metal, you should appreciate them. (kill em all is speed metal. meh. After that, and up to the Black album... wow, so good).
7. Blink - Musically? Maybe not, but they're a LOT of fun.
8. Gorillaz - fun, but yes very overrated. M1A1 is good though.
9. Staind - yeap. They suck.
10. Incubus - Same band as Staind? yeap. They suck.
11. Limp Bizkit - Nookie is good. Not a whole lot else.
12. Tool - I'm not into them all that much, but theyre creative, if a bit stark.
13. Creed - Pearl Jam (a poor man's Nirvana [flame bait]), just sludgier and 8 years late to the party. They don't completely suck, but I don't understand their immense popularity.

And lastly glenn1, I agree that bands like Zepplin aren't only judged by the quality of their music per se, but they were SO influential. I mean, they are pretty much the TEMPLATE for what developed into metal. When I was in 6th grade (1990ish) and I popped in Metallica's Black album, my MOM said "hey, these guys sound kind of like Led Zepplin". Do I listen to Zepplin albums? No, but I recognize that James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich did, and were influenced by them. I don't listen to the Velvet Underground all the time either, but recognize that they were very influential to bands like Nirvana.

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Ha. OMG, Zod. You just reminded me. How could I have missed the most overrated band in history:

NIRVANA

zod

Oct 10, 1999
GRRR! >:p

<--- Thinks Nevermind is one of the best albums ever.

C'mon, how can they be overrated if they SINGLEHANDEDLY erased an entire decade of music overnight?
Its fine if you don't get their music (too dark? fine), but they completely flushed leather-clad, stage antic-y, teased hair cock-rock down the toilet. Its fine to like Poison and Def Leppard and err.. LA Guns, but after Nirvana hit in late '91, they were gone. POOF. Amazing. Don't know if I'll ever see anything like it again.

<-- Also really likes Def Leppard's Hysteria.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Originally posted by: dparker
Ha. OMG, Zod. You just reminded me. How could I have missed the most overrated band in history:

NIRVANA

Blasphemer.

Ryan

Skyclad1uhm1

Lifer
Aug 10, 2001
Originally posted by: zod
GRRR! >:p

<--- Thinks Nevermind is one of the best albums ever.

Pretty much overrated yes. Nevermind is an ok album, but some songs were pretty crappy. They were unable to change after that album too.

Korn is another overrated band. And Aerosmith.

99% of the hits out there is overrated in the first place.

zod

Oct 10, 1999
I'll stop harping on Nirvana after this, I promise, reallly... but unable to change? Have you heard their Unplugged in New York album? Listen to that, and listen to Nevermind (or Muddy Banks of the Wishkah). Different. They could play. David Bowie, Meat Puppets songs, some of them genuinely beautiful. Grohl is a really good drummer. They were a breath of fresh (and unfortunately, severely drug addicted) air in the rock biz.

What I don't love is everyone thinking Cobain is some God after he killed himself. He wasn't. He was just messed up. Really. It wasn't an act. That wasn't an image. It sounded like real pain and angst because it was. I hope someone slaps Courtney Love around so I get to hear all the stuff Nirvana made but didn't release.

Deftones94x

Banned
Jul 3, 2001
Go to a puddle of mudd or nickelback concert that is in a stadium, if you're in the back you'll be bored.

Goto a Korn or tool concert that is in a stadium, if you're in the back you'll think you're upfront and your adrenaline will be on full throttle way back there.

that's just from my Xperience.

I don't and won't judge ANY band until I have seen them live. The cd is what they play that was recorded weeks before you ever heard it. The live show is the true passion, excitement and pure adrenaline of a band. Unless you went to the concert, and you didn't have a good time, don't be a scene kid and knock it. Click on my free hardcore link down there, it's my local band, listen to margenalized, it's a hardcore song written about kid's who do nothing but judge band's based on what radio, tv and friend's think. If there is a band you like, listen to it, don't let your peer's be the judge of what you like. I'm sure some people would read about someone saying they hated linkin park, so the person who did would be scared to say he liked it in fear of being rejected.

Rent

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2000
Godsmack is WAY overrated... I like their stuff, but otherwise its played WAY too often. LP is overrated as well, but there aren't many bands that I can listen to the entire album and then want to honestly listen to it again.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Originally posted by: dparker

NIRVANA

Actually, the fetish-like worship of Nirvana has subsided to a more appropriate level over the years, IMHO. Five or six years ago however, calling Nirvana one of the most overrated bands wouldn't have been too far off the mark.

aswedc

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2000
System of a Down - everyone in my school seems to love them but when you really listen to the CD there are only a few good tracks, the rest sound the same (much like Godsmack). Oh yeah and Blink 182 didn't used to be too bad, its just their new stuff that really sucks.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
KORN - they opened for the Metallica concert I went to and they were incredibly horrid.

Tool- Way talented but, this new album especially, just puts me on edge to listen to.

DMB- everything past their first or second album. Worst concert I've ever been to.

Nirvana- most people know where I stand there... ;)

amish

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
DMB is the most overrated group in the last 20 years. They aren't the worst (Vanilla Ice or Eminem anyone?) but you usually don't have a bunch of dweebs talking about how good they are like the dweebs who talk up DMB. I mean how bad is DMB version of "All along the watchtower"? Hendrix must roll in his grave everytime that monstrosity is played (and I'm sure Dylan would shed a tear if he wasn't getting royalities for it). The day DM decides to hang it up (or DMB fans actually get a clue)will be a good day indeed for music.

Paulson

Elite Member
Feb 27, 2001
www.ifixidevices.com
Originally posted by: Red Dawn
DMB is the most overrated group in the last 20 years. They aren't the worst (Vanilla Ice or Eminem anyone?) but you usually don't have a bunch of dweebs talking about how good they are like the dweebs who talk up DMB. I mean how bad is DMB version of "All along the watchtower"? Hendrix must roll in his grave everytime that monstrosity is played (and I'm sure Dylan would shed a tear if he wasn't getting royalities for it). The day DM decides to hang it up (or DMB fans actually get a clue)will be a good day indeed for music.
I don't hype up his music, but I really like it... why? Cuz I think it has more of a musical presentation rather than a "how catchy can my songs lyrics be"...

He presents a style that wasn't there, but I'm glad it now is.

Jun 18, 2000
As an outside observer to this thread, I see 2 obvious musical generations that everybody puts on a pedestal - 70's heavy metal, and early 90's grunge. If you dare insult any band from either of these generations, you're for some reason labeled a "teeny-bopper" that listens to the common pop-culture.

Make no mistake about it, grunge rock from the Nirvana, Tool, Bush era is my favorite. Why? Because I grew up listening to it. I recognize that there are talented bands from other decades, and I'll listen to whatever sounds palettable.

With all that said, I have 2 votes for most overrated. One of which is a generation, the other a band.

1) Most late 70's heavy metal. My father tried forcing me to listen to this stuff when I was younger. Hell, I can sing or hum along to most old rock played on the radio, but according to him its the best music generation ever. Um, ok.
rolleye.gif

2) *ahem* The Beatles. I love how people evangelise the Beetles into the best and most influential band of all times. I say that's bullcrap. If the Beetles never made it big, some other band - probably very similar - would have. People love to spout out garbage about how the record industries force feed us music from musicians that have no talent, yet they for some reason forget that this has been going on for the past several decades. The difference? Its more obvious now.

Edit: Sorry for the name typo. :eek:

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Blink 182 because all their songs are the same. I really do mean all.

Beetles. Now personally I dislike/hate the vast majority of beetles songs. I like a couple "kinda". I know that manypeople like them though so I cannot say that they are a bad band. I can even say that they were better than most, but I like a lot of music from a lot of genres and I hate the beetles so I can't say they're the best band of all time - something a lot of people claim. Thus I'd say they are pretty overated.

jaeger66

Banned
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Skoorb
Blink 182 because all their songs are the same. I really do mean all.

Beetles. Now personally I dislike/hate the vast majority of beetles songs. I like a couple "kinda". I know that manypeople like them though so I cannot say that they are a bad band. I can even say that they were better than most, but I like a lot of music from a lot of genres and I hate the beetles so I can't say they're the best band of all time - something a lot of people claim. Thus I'd say they are pretty overated.

You hate the vast majority of their songs...but you can't say they are bad...but you hate them...but they were better than most...but overrated because they weren't the all time best...

Pepsi90919

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
it's the BEATLES not beetles like the bug.

and yes they're overrated, along with bands such as red hot chili peppers and nirvana and led zeppelin.

jaeger66

Banned
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by: amnesiac 2.0

When you have to resort to insults and direct attacks on someone's character in addition to unbased assumptions (I've listened to a LOT of Metallica, thank you very much) your pedestal gets rather wobbly.

When you make ridiculous claims like "All their songs are somber 10 minute ballads with no variety", your pedastal has just crumbled to dust.