Most overrated bands?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BatmanNate

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Limp Bizkit. Their band is entirely personality driven, no musical ingenuity is involved. It has more in common with the pop genre than the rock one.

jaeger66

Banned
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by: amnesiac 2.0

AC/DC overrated?!?! Them's fighting words!
Well, fine, STYX IS OVERRATED. You don't dare touch AC/DC, I get dibs on kicking your butt!!!!! :p

Let's get one thing straight-AC/DC made one sort of OK album. Then they made it 20 more times. They have as little or less talent as Blink 182, which is getting pretty far down there. Hell, Angus Young has to dress up like a homosexual just to mask his inferiority. How sad is that? And kindly shut up about bands that you've never heard(Metallica). Yeah, the late 90's stuff blows but Kill/Master/Ride are another story. If Damage, Inc. doesn't make you want to go ona killing spree then you have no pulse.

SludgeFactory

Platinum Member
Sep 14, 2001
Originally posted by: jaeger66

Well, fine, STYX IS OVERRATED. You don't dare touch AC/DC, I get dibs on kicking your butt!!!!! :p

Let's get one thing straight-AC/DC made one sort of OK album. Then they made it 20 more times. They have as little or less talent as Blink 182, which is getting pretty far down there. Hell, Angus Young has to dress up like a homosexual just to mask his inferiority. How sad is that? And kindly shut up about bands that you've never heard(Metallica). Yeah, the late 90's stuff blows but Kill/Master/Ride are another story. If Damage, Inc. doesn't make you want to go ona killing spree then you have no pulse.

Do you know who Bon Scott is?

ThePresence

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001

Personally, I cant stand Kill 'Em All. But Puppets is one of my favorite albums ever, with Lightning coming in at third or fourth.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
Styx is not overrated!!!

They get so much crap for putting out "Kilroy was here" (the album with "Mr. Roboto" on it), that i'm inclined to agree that they aren't overrated. That doesn't make them good, just not overrated.

amnesiac

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999

When you have to resort to insults and direct attacks on someone's character in addition to unbased assumptions (I've listened to a LOT of Metallica, thank you very much) your pedestal gets rather wobbly.

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
I'M ABOUT TO BREAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't really argue against many of the choices here. Ever since Korn, it became "cool" to whine about minuscule things that no one really gives a s#it about. Not to mention said whiners are a.) in their 20's (or 30's in the case of Korn), b.) are wasps from the burbs, and c.) got killed ever since Clear Channel decided to play In the End, Crawwwwwwwwwwwling, crappy music with the executioners, and now remixes from their new CD.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Legendary
I hate Tool. But that's just me.

Tool and Creed

Tool is one of the best bands in the industry. I dare you to name a better band.

Linkin Park targets an audience that can relate to their music. When I was 14 there were times where I wanted to "run away and never say goodbye". Did that make me a whiny 14 year old? Yes. Did that change how I felt? No. I stand by my opinion that they are a great band, and that their album was very impressive.

As far as someone's comments about guys from Korn complaining though they are wasps, etc... You don't know what those guys went through when growing up. You don't know that those guys weren't abused and raped by family members. People usually have a reason for singing about the stuff they do.

These are all my opinions, and different people like different genres of music. However, I think the bands some of you claim that are terrible don't deserve the title that you give them. There are much worse bands out there.

Ryan

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Tool is one of the best bands in the industry. I dare you to name a better band.

Godspeed You Black Emperor!

I used to like Tool, as well. There were a lot of bands I used to love, but I have changed so much in the past year or so (for better or worse). I guess my taste just changed.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Originally posted by: Mani
Originally posted by: rgwalt
Tool and Creed

Thanks for proving my point.

What point is that? Better non-industry bands? Well, you could be right. I'm always willing to be proved wrong. Fire some names and I'll check them out.

Ryan

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
I hate Tool. But that's just me.

Tool and Creed

Linkin Park targets an audience that can relate to their music. When I was 14 there were times where I wanted to "run away and never say goodbye". Did that make me a whiny 14 year old? Yes. Did that change how I felt? No. I stand by my opinion that they are a great band, and that their album was very impressive.

As far as someone's comments about guys from Korn complaining though they are wasps, etc... You don't know what those guys went through when growing up. You don't know that those guys weren't abused and raped by family members. People usually have a reason for singing about the stuff they do.

These are all my opinions, and different people like different genres of music. However, I think the bands some of you claim that are terrible don't deserve the title that you give them. There are much worse bands out there.

Ryan
I love tool, but i think they're a bit overrated...

We all have had moments of teen angst. That's a given. Just because they sing about that does NOT make Linkin Park a great band.

My problem isn't that they're white anglo saxon protestants. I doubt many of them are "abused" either, besides for maybe Staind. It's that they're in the burbs, in their 20's, manufactured, and singing about stuff to make a profit. They're entertainers, not musicians, and they don't do that very well in the first place.

joeryu

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
Linkin park is great...debut CD still gets majority play time on my CD player, recently being replaced by their Reanimation cd. as far as overrated bands go...i would say blink182 is by far the most overrated. actually, i think anyone who can even remotely see talent knows blink has none...just that they are popular among the teenie bopper girls.

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
I can appreciate your feelings PA, but IIRC the lead singer of Korn was severly abused as a child (or was it the lead of Slipknot...).

I'm sorry, but I've gotta stand by my love for Tool. It is an ongoing battle for me between Tool and NIN as to my favorite band...

Ryan

UglyCasanova

Lifer
Mar 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Mani
Tool and Creed

Thanks for proving my point.

What point is that? Better non-industry bands? Well, you could be right. I'm always willing to be proved wrong. Fire some names and I'll check them out.

Ryan

Try Mogwai, or like i've said above, Godspeed You Black Emperor!

PsychoAndy

Lifer
Dec 31, 2000
Originally posted by: jOjO316
Linkin park is great...debut CD still gets majority play time on my CD player, recently being replaced by their Reanimation cd. as far as overrated bands go...i would say blink182 is by far the most overrated. actually, i think anyone who can even remotely see talent knows blink has none...just that they are popular among the teenie bopper girls.
IN THE END IT DOESN'T EVEN MATTER

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
However, I think the bands some of you claim that are terrible don't deserve the title that you give them. There are much worse bands out there.

I'm not talking about the quality of their music per se, but rather the amount of attention they receive. I don't think Led Zeppelin sucks, i just think that they get way more respect for their music than they deserve. On the other end of the scale, there's music i don't particularly like, but recognize how woefully unappreciated it is. A perfect example of that would be Kate Bush, in particular her album "A Kick Inside."

rgwalt

Diamond Member
Apr 22, 2000
Originally posted by: glenn1
However, I think the bands some of you claim that are terrible don't deserve the title that you give them. There are much worse bands out there.

I'm not talking about the quality of their music per se, but rather the amount of attention they receive. I don't think Led Zeppelin sucks, i just think that they get way more respect for their music than they deserve. On the other end of the scale, there's music i don't particularly like, but recognize how woefully unappreciated it is. A perfect example of that would be Kate Bush, in particular her album "A Kick Inside."

OK, fair enough... However, there are a lot of bands out there that receive a lot of praise who simply stink. N'Sync for one...

EDIT: You know what I would like to see? Celeberty Death match- the 9 members of Slipknot vs the 9 members of Wu-Tang Clan...

Ryan

Frosty3799

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2000
why is there another thread similar to this one every weekend?

it never really solves anything.

PS: DMB RULES!!!!!!!