Most of the nvidia fans are made by amd's faulty drivers and cards.What do you think?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I have come to heavily favor Nvidia due to their superior long-term support for its older series. I keep using my older cards in other PCs and it's great to have proper support for the latest Windows and such.
I'm not sure if this post is sarcasm or you just haven't read a tech website in the last 4 years?

Amd has far superior support for their older gpus. How else could a amd cards continue to outperform their competitors at a given price point when the nvidia cards at that level were outright faster on launch?

This trend has gone on for 2 generations and doesn't show signs off stopping. Nvidia is intentionally giving poor support to generation old cards to force upgrades and people are eating lining up to bend over and have their new gpu shoved up their "pcie slots" sans lube.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
The weird thing is lately I've been hearing people say lately nvidia is not so good at long term support for their older cards. I guess this also depends how long you plan on keeping it. Then again as I never had issues I probably wouldn't notice.

Well I will be in a minute but saw that.

Still have an old EVGA GTX260 216 that runs just fine on the HTPC in the master bedroom with a X5650 and WIN X.

But it does not receive driver updates anymore I believe when I have tried.

WIN X itself seems to be handling most of that fine.

Last edited:

Zstream

Diamond Member
Oct 24, 2005
I have come to heavily favor Nvidia due to their superior long-term support for its older series. I keep using my older cards in other PCs and it's great to have proper support for the latest Windows and such.

I think there are charts that show it's quire the opposite now. With AMD winning the console designs, it will only prove better for those with older cards.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Op, your thread topic can be answered by yourself. I dont really know why you're asking these questions unless you're planning some sort of kumbaya hand holding warm and fuzzy party.
People like what they like for their own reasons that makes sense to them even if it makes no sense to others. Pretty much applies to everyone.

jackstar7

Lifer
Jun 26, 2009
I'm using a 980ti, but I am an AMD fan. Mixed-res Eyefinity and Freesync are just two reasons.

AMD delivers features I care more about. I am excited to see what they deliver next at the high end.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
Somehow this is not considered trolling? Wow. :thumbsdown:

Its a Pro-Nvidia, Anti-AMD thread on this forum, of course it's not considered trolling. Where do you think you are?

Mod callouts are not allowed
Markfw900

Last edited by a moderator:

Spjut

Apr 9, 2011
I'm not sure if this post is sarcasm or you just haven't read a tech website in the last 4 years?

Amd has far superior support for their older gpus. How else could a amd cards continue to outperform their competitors at a given price point when the nvidia cards at that level were outright faster on launch?

This trend has gone on for 2 generations and doesn't show signs off stopping. Nvidia is intentionally giving poor support to generation old cards to force upgrades and people are eating lining up to bend over and have their new gpu shoved up their "pcie slots" sans lube.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Nvidia's Geforce 6 and 7 series have official Windows 8.0 drivers. AMD's DX9 generation only goes to Vista.

Nvidia's DX10 generation has official Windows 10 WDDM 1.2 drivers. AMD's official Catalyst drivers is WDDM 1.1 for Windows 8.0.

Nvidia still supports Fermi whereas AMD dropped support for HD 5000 and HD 6000 series. Fermi has WDDM 2.0 drivers.

AMD also stopped supporting Vista already back in 2013.

It's true GCN is aging better but no one outside Nvidia knows if it's due to bad driver support or just the limits of the architecture in modern games.

Last edited:

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Its a Pro-Nvidia, Anti-AMD thread on this forum, of course it's not considered trolling. Where do you think you are?

Umm, a predominately pro AMD forum? As per recent polls have clearly shown?
I forgot who conducted the polls but it was pretty obvious where things stood.

ZGR

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2012
It was Nvidia's poor drivers that made me switch to AMD. The R9 290 Tri X has been the best GPU I have ever owned.

AMD's driver releases have been near stellar in the past few years. Completely changed the way I saw AMD GPU's. It is a foolish notion to stay in one GPU camp for too long.

Insomniator

Diamond Member
Oct 23, 2002
I have no strong allegiance, but I do remember ATI having terrible drivers for a long time back in the day. Later on, CCC was pretty terrible as well. They were never as clean or installed/uninstalled as well as Nvidia drivers either.

More recently I've had a 7950 and now a 390 with no major problems, but the 780 I had in between still had better drivers in my opinion. At this point it might be bias from the garbage ATI used to put it out.

One example now... with NV drivers I ccould easily change the refresh rate to 97 to OC my monitor (ebay QNIX). With my 390 now, I have to use a special program to patch the AMD driver to allow for new resolutions/refresh rates. Has to be redone with every driver relase -- very lame.

dogen1

Oct 14, 2014
I've never had any driver related hardware problems, for me the big difference is driver feature set.

I use fast sync(sometimes adaptive sync) and the pre-rendered frames option(I hear amd removed user control of this) all the time. I also use DSR and driver ambient occlusion.

Another big issue for me is AMDs opengl performance with large amounts of draw calls(at least that's what we suspect it is). It's seemingly worse than with dx11 and can make some games in pcsx2 completely unplayable, while nvidia handles them fine.

amenx

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2004
Most of Nvidias fans are made by "mindshare". When you constantly have the single fastest GPU vs the competition, it trickles down to lesser cards. Nvidia is then automatically associated with the fastest (even in cases where it is not). And AMD is more associated with economical, 'bang for the buck' performance. But sometimes that doesnt work in AMDs favor, as lower priced cards are sometimes seen as 'lesser cards' and therefore Nvidia is 'better'. Of course almost none of this applies to forum users or enthusiasts with far more knowledge than the average guy. Just speaking about mindshare in general that probably makes up the bulk of Nvidia buyers.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
Almost twice AMD fans here, confirmed by this poll.
I think of desktop cards two thirds of my cards have been amd. On notebook only nv.
On the desktop amd is simply often far better value.
That's why it's preferred by most on this or other forums. Its flat out faster for your $.
People in forum tends naturally to be better informed than the casual Joe.

nurturedhate

Golden Member
Aug 27, 2011
Umm, a predominately pro AMD forum? As per recent polls have clearly shown?
I forgot who conducted the polls but it was pretty obvious where things stood.

The majority of the readers may be using AMD card. And I do remember that thread. Heck, that thread is a prime example of what I am talking about. There is a clear difference between people selecting an option on a poll who basically never post versus a incredibly vocal group who posts all over everything in a completely one sided manner. We have posters who are now flooding the forum daily with massively biased threads and posts who created their accounts around April/May of this year. Does that not raise a flag for you? There is no objectiveness. There is no open debate. They even state things like "this is my thread, I created it, I determine what info is allowed to be posted" even if said info is on topic and backed by several sites, all because it disagrees with their single site cherry picked results. And that's OK? I want healthy debate, I want unbiased information, I don't want a Soap Opera.

krumme

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2009
To be frank about the subject there is also an element of intelligence involved. With better intelligence you can make more informed decisions as you can process information faster. You obviously can only do that for a very selected group of consumer product and will have to rely on feelings. Here marketing and brand comes into play.
People normally don't use time to make decisions on logic but fall back on feelings. That's actually good because feelings makes you make fast decisions.

tential

Diamond Member
May 13, 2008
I bought Nvidia because of the Nvidia it's the way it's meant to be played program or whatever. I saw their logo everywhere, so I got Nvidia.

I now buy AMD.
Why? Because I don't care which brand is faster. I care which is cheaper. At the end of the day, if you replace a person's system that has a GTX 980 with an R9 290x, they'll never notice and vice versa. So I just buy the cheaper solution in the performance bracket I need.

Now, I'm FORCED into AMD because of Freesync and Nvidia's crazy idea to limit Gsync to such a small portion of monitors that I will NEVER be able to get the Gsync monitor I want for YEARS to come. Until someone makes a 144hz 50+ inch display, I have 0 chance at Gsync so Freesync it is.

Either way, most people get into Nvidia from marketing including myself. Nvidia has a TOP tier marketing team. To say otherwise is to disrespect them. Hence, why I will be investing in Nvidia moving forward instead of just consistently praising their business practices.

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I'm a fan of performance per dollar. Sometimes that means AMD (e.g. R9 290, RX 480) and sometimes that means nVidia (e.g. 960M).

That said, I haven't had any showstopper issues with either IHV's drivers in recent memory. AMD's support in particular has gotten better with Crimson. nVidia driver issues typically get fixed relatively quickly, or at worst a few branches later.

As usual though, this forum has certain posters that make mountains out of molehills.

Annisman*

Golden Member
Aug 20, 2010
I buy Nvidia because for years now they've had the top single gpu solution every generation, that's the only reason.

mjdupuis

Apr 14, 2015
I have a mixture of both cards and still cross-shop within my budget.
I would say I'm objective, and not a fanboy of either company.

Having said that,

The title of this thread makes a declarative statement ("Most of the nvidia fans are made by amd's faulty drivers and cards"). This not a subjective statement nor a question, and it did not open the door for a constructive conversation or engender goodwill. The OP then asks the forum to give their thoughts on that statement. If the OP just wanted to hear why Nvidia fans don't pick AMD wouldn't that have been better placed in the Nvidia sub-forum?

My thoughts? Trolling, then feigning sincerity when called on it.

boozzer

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2012
Op, your thread topic can be answered by yourself. I dont really know why you're asking these questions unless you're planning some sort of kumbaya hand holding warm and fuzzy party.
People like what they like for their own reasons that makes sense to them even if it makes no sense to others. Pretty much applies to everyone.
aha, he is actually really brilliant. he perfectly skirts the rules while the other threads gets locked. pros are pros. gotta admire the skills.

notice how he inserts faulty drivers and cards into the title :) that is just plain skills.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
The poll shows the preference by reader breakdown, not the preference by post count or thread creation.

Just another example how anything, anything at all can be explained away. Shows how useless forums have actually become for honest discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.