Most Graphically intense game for PC?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
WHY would they use an older 192 sp 260? It's the 216 sp version, the 192 sp version could barely keep up with a 4850.

I know that site very well and it IS the 192sp version in that review. look at their newer reviews where they finally started using the 216sp version and labeled it as such. the 216sp in their reviews is faster than than the 5770.http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_6870/29.html

the 4870 was easily faster than the gtx260 192sp when it first came out but then Nvidia had that "big bang driver" update. after that the 192sp gtx260 and 4870 were pretty close and it was really down to the game and driver version that determined just how close they were to each other. and the 192sp gtx260 was around 15% faster than a 4850 at launch and then about 25% faster after that Nvidia big bang driver update. the gtx260 216sp on average was slightly better than the 4870 especially after that Nvidia big bang driver update. that is why ATI came out with the 4890. there is less than 10% difference between the 192sp and 216sp version.

Last edited:

jimbo75

Mar 29, 2011
Completely different games. Metro 33, Dirt 2 and some more nVidia friendly titles. If it had been F1 2010 or something more AMD friendly it would have been the opposite.

F1-2010-GPUs.png

The gtx 260 was out for well over a year before the 5770 was. Do you really think TPU used a 192 sp version in their benchmarks then? I don't think so. More likely W1zzard just forgot to change it in the benchmark.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Palit/GeForce_GTX_260_Sonic_216_SP/29.html

There you go, he had multiple 216 sp cards a year before then. If what you are saying is true, then he went and benchmarked the 5770 vs a 192 SP 260? That makes no sense, at all.

Last edited:

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Completely different games. Metro 33, Dirt 2 and some more nVidia friendly titles. If it had been F1 2010 or something more AMD friendly it would have been the opposite.

F1-2010-GPUs.png

The gtx 260 was out for well over a year before the 5770 was. Do you really think TPU used a 192 sp version in their benchmarks then? I don't think so. More likely W1zzard just forgot to change it in the benchmark.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Palit/GeForce_GTX_260_Sonic_216_SP/29.html

There you go, he had multiple 216 sp cards a year before then. If what you are saying is true, then he went and benchmarked the 5770 vs a 192 SP 260? That makes no sense, at all.
argue all you want but that is a 192sp version in that review you linked to earlier and that is a fact. you can even use common sense and see that is why the 216sp version was now faster than the 5770 in the 6870 review. look at reviews where he now has the 216sp and it is faster than the 192sp version. also do you really think that he finally labeled it the 216sp and it also magically became faster while the other Nvidia cards remained the same?

Last edited:

jimbo75

Mar 29, 2011
argue all you want but that is a 192sp version in that review you linked to earlier and that is a fact. you can even use common sense and see that is why the 216sp version was now faster than the 5770 in the 6870 review. look at reviews where he now has the 216sp and it is faster than the 192sp version. also do you really think that he finally labeled it the 216sp and it also magically became faster while the other Nvidia cards remained the same?

Like I said, it is totally different games in the 2nd review and probably a totally different cpu as well. These things obviously affect the results.

Do you really believe he would use a 192 SP card when he had a bunch of 216 SP cards a year before the 5770's release? Why would he do that?

Obviously, he wouldn't.

CVSiN

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2004
according to Kotaku Witcher2 will be way up there..
thier quote is

7. It's astonishing to look at—doubly so if your graphics card is up to Ultra settings, but even medium and high looks pretty spectacular. This is one of those all-too-rare games where the PC's technological superiority over its console fun-box cousins simply can't be denied. It's designed to be a PC game, to make the very best of the PC, and it shows—from the remarkable amounts of detail on the characters (you'll wince at the scars and wounds on Geralt's torso) to the rays of orange-yellow light through the dense forest at sunset and sunrise. The Witcher 2 may well be one of the best-looking games in history, and not purely on a technical level. In addition, the vast bulk of the world streams quietly in the background, mean you can wander across huge areas of beautiful landscape without encountering any loading screens. On that level, it's been very strange to have played Witcher 2 preview code in the same week as I played Portal 2…

jimbo75

Mar 29, 2011

EDIT- THIS ARGUMENT IS RETARDED, obviously both cards are so close in performance that it depends totally on whatever games you play. Eod.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
EDIT- THIS ARGUMENT IS RETARDED, obviously both cards are so close in performance that it depends totally on whatever games you play. Eod.
YOU started this argument. I said MY gtx260 was faster than his 5770 because I thought the OP was talking about settings I know I could not run. YOU jumped in and said my gtx260 was not faster than a 5770. you linked to a site that used a 192sp in a 5770 review and you cannot accept it. again you can look through their newer reviews to see that plus its pretty well known since I even questioned that back then. next time dont try and start an argument by taking one part of a comment out of context.

Last edited:

jimbo75

Mar 29, 2011
YOU started this argument. I said MY gtx260 was faster than his 5770 because I thought the OP was talking about settings I know I could not run. YOU jumped in and said my gtx260 was not faster than a 5770. you linked to a site that used a 192sp in a 5770 review and you cannot accept it. again you can look through their newer reviews to see that plus its pretty well known since I even questioned that back then. next time dont try and start an argument by taking one part of a comment out of context.

YOUR gtx 260 192 SP is DEFINITELY not faster and that's a total fact.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd5770-hd5750_17.html#sect0

Once again when benchmarked over a large variety of games, the 5770 proves that it is on a par with the 260 216 sp.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
YOUR gtx 260 192 SP is DEFINITELY not faster and that's a total fact.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/radeon-hd5770-hd5750_17.html#sect0

Once again when benchmarked over a large variety of games, the 5770 proves that it is on a par with the 260 216 sp.
you need to get a clue and stop trying to argue about everything. look at all reviews and you will see that overall a stock 216sp gtx260 is indeed a wee bit faster than a 5770. my gtx260 192sp is oced past the performance of a stock 216sp gtx260 so yes it is faster than a 5770.

Last edited:

jimbo75

Mar 29, 2011
you need to get a clue and stop trying to argue about everything. look at all reviews and you will see that overall a stock 216sp gtx260 is indeed a wee bit faster than a 5770. my gtx260 192sp is oced past the performance of a stock 216sp gtx260 so yes it is faster than a 5770.

And what about the OP? Is he not allowed to overclock or something? I had a 5770 (in fact it's sitting in a cupboard atm) and it easily overclocked past 1ghz.

Would you like me to dig it out and prove to you that it can run DA: Origins playably at max settings over 3 screens? Now, I don't need to guess at that because I know that it can because I did just that last year.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
And what about the OP? Is he not allowed to overclock or something? I had a 5770 (in fact it's sitting in a cupboard atm) and it easily overclocked past 1ghz.

Would you like me to dig it out and prove to you that it can run DA: Origins playably at max settings over 3 screens? Now, I don't need to guess at that because I know that it can because I did just that last year.
so now that is your new argument? I looked at his sig and he did not show it oced. if he would have had the 5770 oced in the sig then I would have said my gtx260 was about equal to it. again you still took the comment out of context because the whole point was about the fact that that he could not run higher settings than I could. he was asking about what games would require more horsepower so I thought he was acting like his 5770 can handle any game maxxed. he already said he was only talking about DAO across 3 screens so nothing else needed to be said.

are you really proud of yourself now for derailing a thread by taking part of a comment out of context?

Last edited:

jimbo75

Mar 29, 2011
so now that is your new argument? I looked at his sig and he did not show it oced. if he would have had the 5770 oced in the sig then I would have said my gtx260 was about equal to it. again you still took the comment out of context because the whole point was about the fact that was that he could not run higher settings. he was asking about what games would require more horsepower so I thought he was acting like his 5770 can handle any game maxxed. he already said he was only talking about DAO so nothing else needed to be said.

are you really proud of yourself now for derailing a thread by taking part of a comment out of context?

Err no. Let me quote what you said, then we can decide hm?

You said:
my gtx260 is stronger than your 5770

Me said:
No it isn't

You said:
in nearly every case it most certainly is.

At which point I proceeded to prove that in nowhere near "nearly ever case" is the gtx 260 stronger than the 5770. In fact, it's about 50-50.

It is also HIGHLY unlikely that your 192 SP version is faster "in nearly every case" than his 5770 no matter what overclock it has.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Err no. Let me quote what you said, then we can decide hm?

At which point I proceeded to prove that in nowhere near "nearly ever case" is the gtx 260 stronger than the 5770. In fact, it's about 50-50.

It is also HIGHLY unlikely that your 192 SP version is faster "in nearly every case" than his 5770 no matter what overclock it has.
keep going with your ignorant arguments. again if you look at reviews the stock 216sp gtx260 is faster overall than the 5770 and at my oc, my 192sp gtx260 would be faster than a stock 216sp gtx260. its simple math but you are too busy being a troll to get that.

lets break it down just for for clarity:

a stock 216sp gtx260 is slightly faster overall than a 5770
the difference between a 192sp gtx260 and 216sp gtx260 is less than 10%
my 192sp gtx260 is oced past the point where it would be faster than a 216sp gtx260
that makes it slightly faster than a 5770 since it is already slightly faster than a stock 216sp gtx260 which was already slightly faster than a 5770

now seriously guy, f off and find something more productive to do with your time.

Last edited:

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Who gives a shit whose damn card is faster then the others or if it's overclocked with fucking chipmunk shit used for the contacts

jimbo75

Mar 29, 2011
keep going with your ignorant arguments. again if you look at reviews the stock 216sp gtx260 is faster overall than the 5770 and at my oc, my 192sp gtx260 would be faster than a stock 216sp gtx260. its simple math but you are too busy being a troll to get that. seriously guy f off and find something more productive to do with your time.

So wait you've completely changed from "nearly every case" to "faster overall"? Imo it's not even faster overall. Some games it is a LOT faster but it loses as many as it wins.

Your 192sp @674 is 3.5% faster than a stock 216sp. You think thats going to change anything?

Why don't you stop with the utter bullshit and accept the clear facts as shown by the benchmarks. You will never find any 260 gtx that beats the 5770 in "nearly every case" because they are practically identical and victory depends purely on whatever games are benchmarked. Fact.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
So wait you've completely changed from "nearly every case" to "faster overall"? Imo it's not even faster overall. Some games it is a LOT faster but it loses as many as it wins.

Your 192sp @674 is 3.5% faster than a stock 216sp. You think thats going to change anything?

Why don't you stop with the utter bullshit and accept the clear facts as shown by the benchmarks. You will never find any 260 gtx that beats the 5770 in "nearly every case" because they are practically identical and victory depends purely on whatever games are benchmarked. Fact.
look troll, "nearly every case" would be interchangeable with "faster overall."

a 216sp gtx260 is less than 10% faster than a 192sp model. mine is oced by 17% so it would easily be a tiny bit faster than a stock 216sp gtx260 which is already a tiny bit faster than the 5770. its simple math for anyone but you.

what I said from the beginning was correct and you are nothing but a troll by taking that comment out of context in the first place just to start trouble.

Last edited:

jimbo75

Mar 29, 2011
look you freaking troll, "nearly every case" would be interchangeable with "faster overall."

a 216sp gtx260 is less than 10% faster than a 192sp model. mine is oced by 17% so it would easily be a tiny bit faster than a stock 216sp gtx260 which is already a tiny bit faster than the 5770. its simple math for anyone but you.

You really shouldn't talk about "simple math" when you clearly don't have a clue about even simple math. Just piss off and stop talking crap.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
You really shouldn't talk about "simple math" when you clearly don't have a clue about even simple math. Just piss off and stop talking crap.
so are you really that freaking ignorant that you cant comprehend something so simple? if my gtx260 is oced to where it is slightly faster than a stock 216sp gtx260 and a stock 216sp is already slightly faster than a 5770 then how the hell am I wrong for saying that my card would be faster overall than 5770?

Last edited:

jimbo75

Mar 29, 2011
so are really that freaking ignorant that you cant comprehend something so simple? if my gtx260 is oced to where it is slightly faster than a stock 216sp gtx260 and a stock 216sp is already slightly faster than a 5770 then how the hell am I wrong for saying that my card would be faster overall than 5770?

That's not what you said. Don't bother trying to back out of it, it's clear for everybody to see what you said.

in nearly every case it most certainly is.

Now if you'd said "slightly faster in many games" I'd have been quite content with that, but that's not what you said is it? You then challenged me to provide benchmarks, to which I duly obliged, then you backtracked and changed your story to "slightly faster" all the while claiming I was the one who derailed the thread!

Just shut up about it already, I told you many posts ago it was a retarded argument and your sheer stubborness is keeping me coming back.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
That's not what you said. Don't bother trying to back out of it, it's clear for everybody to see what you said.

Now if you'd said "slightly faster in many games" I'd have been quite content with that, but that's not what you said is it? You then challenged me to provide benchmarks, to which I duly obliged, then you backtracked and changed your story to "slightly faster" all the while claiming I was the one who derailed the thread!

Just shut up about it already, I told you many posts ago it was a retarded argument and your sheer stubborness is keeping me coming back.
I am not backing out of anything. I originally said my gtx260 was stronger than his 5770 and that IS TRUE. you took that one part of my post and said no it wasn't just to stir up trouble instead of looking at its context. you have done nothing but troll from the beginning even though what I originally said was true.

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
I have owned both cards in the past year , a Evga gtx260 and xfx 5770. Besides a few chosen games the gtx260 is faster.

When they were both overclocked they were about even.

End of arguement!

Edit: and I have all the good modern games on my drive to test 'em.