Most fun you've had playing a MMO game

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
EQ 1, various things in the Kunark & Velious expansion. I love snow & ice in all forms, so Velious in particular was visually tailor-made for me. Additionally, this was when EQ was at its peak of immersiveness and openendedness; you made the game what you wanted, it wasn't the raid treadmill that it became two years afterward when Sony/SOE murdered it, and which WoW has unfortunately copied.

Some specifics:
- Selling all on me at T2! The bazaar really ruined what I found to be a fun part of the game. Ironically, the bazaar helped me to become super-rich. You know that bazaar-bot (every server had one or two) who had all the ultra-rare items (AoN, holgresh beads, etc.) for insane prices? That was me. I ended up with nearly 10 million pp when I quit around the Gates release. I'd have traded it in an instant for EC-mart though. Good ole days.
- Kithicor at night. WTF?!?!?!?!?! :p
- Quadkiting. My druid was my first character and I learned it on the butcherblock dwarves... lol. I also quadkited those druid / ranger type NPCs in Qeynos hills, along with the 2 guards in front of SFG. Later on in uh... what was that zone between Skyshrine and Sirens' Grotto? Wow, it's been a long time. I'm levelling a mage in WoW now AoE grinding, and it's brought back some fun memories. I was actually quadkiting BB dwarves on 9/11 when I heard about the attacks, it's etched in my memory, right down to where in the zone I was (south part).
- Working on the prayer shawl, first on my druid, later on my monk because I enjoyed the quest line so much. Then (after a hiatus from the game) on my shaman and SK. This was one of my favorite parts of Velious.
- Kael, place was just fun. So huge. The giants were resistant as hell though, made soloing iffy.
- Killing WW dragons at 65 on my shaman. $$$$$$$$. Shroom king in seb too.
- Sebilis groups. I enjoyed the other Kunark dungeons as well, but it was hard to find people willing to go.
- Epic quests, these rocked. It's sad WoW has nothing like them, but then WoW's lead developer is so stupid he named his Everquest character "Tigole Bitties", so it's no great surprise.
- Jumping off the IC <-> EW bridge in Velious

r0bVious

Oct 27, 2004
My early days in Everquest. I had seen nothing like it. The world was new, challenging, and the graphics were great ;]

I must say, EQ did something with sprites I've never seen since. Some of those spell effects WERE cool.

RandomFool

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2001
www.loofmodnar.com
When I first started playing City of Heroes and discovered I could my my character dance. Then some midget character came over and danced with me, then some other guy. All the while my roommate was watching going wtf? We still laugh about that today.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: Blurry
no on said WoW yet....wow..

You're kidding right? Need glasses maybe? :confused:

Anyway, mine would be trioing tons different bosses with two other Beastmasters in FFXI

CKent

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Blurry
no on said WoW yet....wow..

Many of us played good MMORPGs. Don't get me wrong, I'm playing WoW currently. But when Sony killed EQ1 back in 2002 the genre died. WoW copying its post-death raidfest style was sorta like pissing on its grave.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
In Everquest, there are tons of fond memories. One was spending months to get the 'epic item' for my class, something that involved playing with hundreds of people.

Acanthus

Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
ostif.org
Originally posted by: cdmccool
Group Vs. Group combat in DAoC. Towards the end of my time playing, people became very respectful towards this aspect of the game and it was a blast.

8v8 and 8vZerg were fantastic.

I really hope they can land an improved system of this in Warhammer.

The most fun ive ever had in any MMO was PvP in DAOC, whether it was in darkness falls, or in the frontier.