Discussion most flavorable chili peppers

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
OK I had my share of some hot peppers and hot sauces, but not the world's hottest ones or those with the best flavor. The most flavor ones I had were the banana and pepperoncini and I know I'm missing out on the best.

I definite haven't had the chocolate peppers like the The 7 Pot Douglah or any others of this color/flavor. Those of you who have, how are they? Worth getting? These are the ones I just have to try and I've read they have best/most flavor of them all.

So which chilies have the greatest flavor hot or mild?

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I like "melt your face, set your hair on fire" hot, but I'm NOT a fan of "stupid hot" that's so hot you lose your sense of taste.
Jalapenos and the other peppers in the c. annuum family tend to be sweeter...a bit more"fruity tasting" (like bell peppers) than the members of c. chinense family.

jmagg

Platinum Member
Nov 21, 2001
Habernaro/Scotch Bonnet are delicious, fruity start hot as hell finish. Trinidad Scorpion somewhat similar but one of the hottest. Personal favorite are Hot Cherry.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Habernaro/Scotch Bonnet are delicious, fruity start hot as hell finish. Trinidad Scorpion somewhat similar but one of the hottest. Personal favorite are Hot Cherry.
I had various Habernaro hot sauces and they tasted fairly good. But I like said, I really want to try the Chocolate peppers ad see if I like them.

Note: I'm looking more for flavor instead of just heat.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Where are you chili-heads at???

Here is the Penis Pepper a rare xxx rated chili.

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
you should try to make your own sauce. the flavour is way better than most bottled store brand stuff.

Reactions: whm1974

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
It's the start of chile roasting season in NM right now. A lot of places roast them right out in front of the store, smells amazing.

Roasted Hatch green chile, mild to medium heat so you can still taste the fruit. Not really the "most" flavorful, but the best IMO.

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
you should try to make your own sauce. the flavour is way better than most bottled store brand stuff.
I'm going to have to try that but unfortunately I don't have a garden to grow the peppers I want. So do you mix the peppers with salt, vinegar, and seasonings?

Iron Woode

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 10, 1999
I'm going to have to try that but unfortunately I don't have a garden to grow the peppers I want. So do you mix the peppers with salt, vinegar, and seasonings?
I would start by checking out recipes. There are some great ones on Youtube. The channel Food Wishes has a recipe for your own Sriracha sauce that looks great:

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
Maybe fermented fermented douglah chili pepper sauce? Other then tasbasto sauce all I ever had were the kind with vinegar.

Paladin3

Diamond Member
Mar 5, 2004
When I make pico de gallo my default chili is the serrano. Some of the milder peppers like the hatch or the sweet red jalapenos my garden is currently producing are damn good roasted over the fire. I'm not a heat for heat's sake guy like I was when I was younger. The old cast iron stomach isn't as tough as it once was.

Luna1968

Golden Member
Mar 9, 2019
It's the start of chile roasting season in NM right now. A lot of places roast them right out in front of the store, smells amazing.

Roasted Hatch green chile, mild to medium heat so you can still taste the fruit. Not really the "most" flavorful, but the best IMO.

same here, went to the farmers market today and roasting peppers filled the air. man i love it, picked up a bag of fresh roasted and still warm of hatch Dynamite.

JEDIYoda

Lifer
Jul 13, 2005
I like to use Anaheims and when I make my own sauce I use a lot of Serrano chilis......
I am into the flavor and not so much the heat factor!!

Reactions: whm1974

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
If I had two yards for a garden I would consider starting one and grow my own chili peppers. I would plant the rarest most flavorful varieties I can find seeds for. IE the chocolate cultivars such as the Trinidad 7 Pot Douglah, Chocolate Bhutlah, and Bhut Jolokia Chocolate peppers.

What are you growing or could grow if you could?

whm1974

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2016
I've known about the Aztecs drinking a beverage made from cocoa, vanilla, water, chilis and some sort of honey but I didn't know that the Mayans also had a drink made with corn meal, cocoa, chilis, and water. Turns out the Mayans were first with such drinks and the Aztecs a modified version.
http://blog.seasonwithspice.com/2011/11/cinnamon-chili-sugarless-hot-cocoa.html

But does Mexico Central America actually have a native cinnamon?

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
habenero is really the only option here...because it's the one with an actual flavor beyond hot (or without the hot: wax)