Most disappointing games of 2016 so far?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Adrenaline

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2005
Huh, I'm having fun with Grim Dawn but I'm still playing through on Veteran. The endgame might really be 5/10 (I won't know for awhile) but getting there deserves more like 7 - 8/10.

I played the Diablo 3 beta up to level 13 and it was fun. I enjoyed the journey and killing The Skeleton King. When the full release went live, did you look at the user reviews of Diablo 3? The game was awful on release.

Grim Dawn is a fun game. I have played it a bunch. At the same time, I see the flaws the game has. Some are minor and some are major. Their attribute system is horrendous in its current state.

I did offer an alternative on their forums. It will probably get ignored there by everyone.

Every level yields two points. Each attribute is worth six points on the character tab instead of eight and cap them at 120. That will give a little more physique total but at an earlier stage if you choose to pump it up. It will also allow people to mix up cunning and spirit. People could possibly not max physique but the current endgame is just a mass amount of mobs that come running at you and hit hard. If you don't have AoE skills that kill you are dead unless you have a lot of health and can dish out damage to mow them down.

I am now visualizing hordes of Grim Dawn players running around without pants.

Pants were the first thing that came to mind. One set of pants that pepole like require 970 physique which is a ton.

Last edited:

GusSmed

Feb 11, 2003
People could possibly not max physique but the current endgame is just a mass amount of mobs that come running at you and hit hard.
Something like this is why I didn't like Titan Quest by the same devs.

The more-or-less top-down perspective on these games (starting with Diablo 1) is somewhat problematic. You can see all around you, but you're also very nearsighted because of the limited distance to the edge of the screen. Diablo 1 / 2 handled this by having stuff run onto the screen and pause for a few moments. This let you react, and made ranged builds viable. Titan Quest didn't have that pause, and I found anything but melee unplayable.

Not having played Grim Dawn, I don't know if it's still a problem. It sounds like it might be, though.

bystander36

Diamond Member
Apr 1, 2013
I played the Diablo 3 beta up to level 13 and it was fun. I enjoyed the journey and killing The Skeleton King. When the full release went live, did you look at the user reviews of Diablo 3? The game was awful on release.

Grim Dawn is a fun game. I have played it a bunch. At the same time, I see the flaws the game has. Some are minor and some are major. Their attribute system is horrendous in its current state.

I did offer an alternative on their forums. It will probably get ignored there by everyone.

Every level yields two points. Each attribute is worth six points on the character tab instead of eight and cap them at 120. That will give a little more physique total but at an earlier stage if you choose to pump it up. It will also allow people to mix up cunning and spirit. People could possibly not max physique but the current endgame is just a mass amount of mobs that come running at you and hit hard. If you don't have AoE skills that kill you are dead unless you have a lot of health and can dish out damage to mow them down.

Pants were the first thing that came to mind. One set of pants that pepole like require 970 physique which is a ton.

Of course most my characters spend less than half their points on physique. Sometimes I do spend more than I need on Physique because some posters convinced me it would be important.

The fact is, there are good pieces of gear which don't require high physique. I guess if you play a melee, physique is more important, but that goes for pretty much any RPG character that is melee.

showb1z

Dec 30, 2010
Only 2016 game I've played is Hitman. And some technical issues aside, it's great. It really is Blood Money taken to the next level.
Also got Quantum Break from a friend but I'm not bothering with that until UWP gets updated.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Of what I've purchased and played this year, Quantum Break. Luckily I did not buy it for PC, total trash(got it on PC free from pre-order of XB1 version). On the XB1 it's not half bad but as far as PC games go this is the worst for me so far. Not far behind is Street Fighter 5. Had lots of issues on PC from what I read and was only half the total content. I understand the reason, they launched it to get ahead of the tournaments and online play was sort of working. Though there's no arcade mode and other promised features yet.

Quantum Break is disgusting. I can't come up with any other way to describe it.

sxr7171

Diamond Member
Jun 21, 2002
Only 2016 game I've played is Hitman. And some technical issues aside, it's great. It really is Blood Money taken to the next level.
Also got Quantum Break from a friend but I'm not bothering with that until UWP gets updated.

The new level is amazing. I was shocked. It really captures being on a Mediterranean paradise like no other game.

Tidekilla115

Feb 28, 2016
Tom clancy's the division is okay but it wasn't what i was hoping for so to me that's the most disappointing game so far.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007

I have 55 hours played on Grim Dawn, which is a lot less than Torchlight 1/2, PoE, and Diablo 3. I personally found it the worst of those games.. The skill tree customization is fairly unexciting (my first character basically just got 1 spell and the linked synergies + a few passive buff auras and like 1 active defensive cd.. and 2nd char was similar). The combat is also pretty meh. The astrology customization system felt more convoluted than PoE's skill tree despite being a quarter the size, and honestly it asked too much of me to read through all of it in detail for a singleplayer game. Survivability hardly mattered at all on normal difficulty, and then you start getting trucked in the second difficulty, although that's a minor problem. The actual campaign to it is pretty good and long, but the character customization was just boring, too simple in most ways and too poorly laid out in the case of the astrology system. It definitely felt like a chore to play where as I put a few hundred hours into Torchlight 2 (99% singleplayer) and had a lot of fun with it.

As for most disappointing game... honestly most the games released recently have been pretty mediocre, a bit short of expectations but not too much.

Last edited:

clok1966

Golden Member
Jul 6, 2004
Yep, Grim Dawn is my non-disappointing game of the year. I can even bask in the reflected glory of having helped fund the original KS campaign for it :)

The closest is X-Com 2, not so much disappointing as that I haven't found myself hungering to play it. I did the tutorial mission and haven't gotten back to it yet.

XCOM-2 the "we decided you should play it one way" mentality. The forced feel. You want to make a game hard you dont limit the player, you make a better AI.

refunded on steam i was so disappointed, sadly there was no better game to take its place and I bought it a month later. I enjoy the game, but my disappointment is that it could have been so much better, they did make new varied enemies (yes!), some new skill, more customization. Took out air combat, which was just a money/time sink, and not much the player did, but it did ass to the "where you put your money" game. In a way combat got easier, but the turn limits forced alot of guesswork. I would far more prefred better AI, larger squads to level the playing field, not YOU MUST move to this point in 8 turns. Granted i have had almost ZERO problems with the timers, but i dont get to flank, surprise attack, look at the map, nothing.. Timed mission are fine, but not 3/4 of them..

oh well i guess if the worst is a good game i feel could have been great, its not a bad year.