Most dangerous intersections in the nation...

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Here

I've driven on #1 baby!!! SEVERAL times, actually. My grandparents live in the old folks community right down the street from there. I would say that doesn't help with the accidents. Anyone else driven through any of these intersections?

AndrewR

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Hmm, Atlanta used to have a couple on there, but it might have been a different list -- none on that one.

We certainly don't have any here, in San Angelo, TX! Heck, there aren't 200,000 cars in the entire county!!! :)

Apr 5, 2000
It's about time we got off #1. (The #1 most dangerous in the past was Midway & Beltline in Addison, TX. They finally finished adding in new turn lanes which I guess eased the number of accidents.

And wtf? 121 and Preston is dangerous? It's almost 8 lanes across. If you can't avoid an accident with that much space you deserve to get into one.

Urinal Mint

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2000

<< It's about time we got off #1. (The #1 most dangerous in the past was Midway &amp; Beltline in Addison, TX. They finally finished adding in new turn lanes which I guess eased the number of accidents.

And wtf? 121 and Preston is dangerous? It's almost 8 lanes across. If you can't avoid an accident with that much space you deserve to get into one.
>>

I live at 121/Preston... it's the most dangerous because when the light turns red on Preston, about 8-10 cars run the light to turn. Every time.

I go through Midway/Beltline every day to and from work... it's pretty tame now.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
WTF? Clearview &amp; Vets in Metairie, LA isn't dangerous either. The only thing you have to worry about out there is asshole cops with radar guns. Actually, they probably cause most of the accidents reported (fender benders when people slow down to avoid a ticket). :|

I can name a dozen other intersections in New Orleans &amp; the surrounding areas that are more dangerous than Clearview &amp; Vets.

kyutip

Golden Member
Jul 24, 2000
wohoo, phx have 2 in the top 10.
take that other safe cities. :)
Although we have more bragging rights.
we are number one in the nation in death cause by intersection accident.
I guess my days are numbered :(

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
I was down in Plano, TX for a few months...ugh, I hate the traffic system done there. Everything is 6 lanes or wider and the intersections are enormous. I found making left-hand turns less than intuitive. USUALLY, at least here in PA, when you are in a turning lane and the signal is a green arrow, you can turn right away, but I found in Plano that opposing traffic doesn't necessarily have a red light and they will come towards you.

It's funny that two of the worst intersections are about 10 miles from my house on the Roosevelt Boulevard (US 1). Again, the Boulevard is a 12 lane road (widest non-interstate, non-limited access road I know) and the intersections are very large. I still find driving on US 1 a lot easier than driving in the Dallas suburbs, though.

Apr 5, 2000
Urinal - that's true - never really thought of it that way. I always wait a couple seconds before going on a green now b/c of several near close calls with red light runners. So you're basically a hop, step, and skip away from Stonebriar Center? (I sorta wish they would have invested more into that mall - it's small. It's a very nice mall but just...small) Regarding the Midway/Beltline thing - yea it is a lot better now.

<< I was down in Plano, TX for a few months...ugh, I hate the traffic system done there. Everything is 6 lanes or wider and the intersections are enormous. I found making left-hand turns less than intuitive. USUALLY, at least here in PA, when you are in a turning lane and the signal is a green arrow, you can turn right away, but I found in Plano that opposing traffic doesn't necessarily have a red light and they will come towards you. >>

That's pretty much standard fare in TX. It's fun gunning it through traffic at left hand turns though :D

Urinal Mint

Platinum Member
Jan 16, 2000
BITCH: Yeah, I live directly behind that mall (spitting distance from the new Best Buy) in Frisco Bridges. I work in Carrollton at Beltline/Columbian Club... that's how I get to go through those intersections daily. Weeeee! :D

Personally I don't think the left turns are that bad... I'd rather have larger-than-life intersections than have to deal with turns so tight that only 2 people get through a light before it turns red again.