Most addictive game you have ever played...

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RIGorous1

Platinum Member
Oct 26, 2002
Civilization.... original, Civilization 2, call to power, test of time, call to power 2, Alpha Centuri, Civ 3 however not play the world because online play seems impossibly slow with turn based games.

Ah the memories... I think I'm going to play right now.

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: rpc64
LoL Gemstone 3! Remember Modus Operandi? It was out around the same time on AOL and was the same kind of game. Man that game was so addicting.

Yeah I tried that too, but stuck with GS because I liked being a wizard or ranger. I also would once in awhile create a new AOL screen name, then make a new character and go around murdering younger players. Then when I was finished causing a ruckus in that game, I went into AOL chat rooms and used "Fate X" or "Hellraiser" or one of my other "1337 pr0gs" to punt people who annoyed me.

Ahh the good old AOL days of acting like a little douche...

Booster

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
Most addictive game you have ever played...

Definately, the Blade Of Darkness. I played through it a least thrice. It's one of the few games I have, but definately I liked it the most.

Maetryx

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
Moria and it's descendant, Angband. It's been a freeware development for over 15 years. I started palying it in 1989. I've never solved it. It's a "graphical" dungeon, using ASCII characters to represent yourself (@), monsters (A = ant, y=yeek, j=jelly, o=orc...), townspeople (t).... etc.

Angband is based on Tolkein fiction, so you can choose to be a Hobbit, Elf, Half-Elf, Human, Dwarf, Half-Orc, Half-Troll, Dunadain (Westernesse), High Elf, Kobold or a Gnome. You can choose as a class (i.e. job) Warrior, Priest, Mage, Paladin, Ranger or Rogue.

The stats (Strength, Dexterity, Constitution, Wisdom, Intelligence and Charisma) are basically the same as AD&D with 18/100 being the highest possible.

There are MANY variants on Angband, each with a different theme. For example, ZANGBAND is based on Zelazney's Amber series instead of Tolkein.

I always return to this game. When I get tired of it, I stop playing, but it's always on my hard drive, or two clicks away from downloading the latest version. It will fit on a floppy disk to this day.

----------------------------------------------

As for modern games, I played the original Tribes for a long, long time. For a time, I played several hours a day. And I played at least on the weekends for, I don't know, at least a year and a half. I was mostly into the shifter_v1 mod. I was very active on alt.games.starsiege.tribes during that time.

At the moment, my addictions are GTAIII, and Diablo II: Lord of Destruction. I have plenty of other games, but those are the ones that I consider addictive.

blakeatwork

Diamond Member
Jul 18, 2001
Quake II and Diablo2, which is hands down, the most addictive, yet frustrating game I have ever played....

Syran

Golden Member
Dec 4, 2000
Currently: Everquest... 61 Ranger, still addicted
Previously: Muds (Lost Realms was my favorite)

And one can never forget Tetris, great for downtime :)

LAUST

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2000
Real Pinball machines, the one's without all the plastic junk toys all over it.

Dudd

Platinum Member
Aug 3, 2001
Deus Ex for me. For the week or two that I played it, it was pretty much all that I thought about. Good thing multiplayer sucked, or I might have never moved on.