Most addictive game you have ever played...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
I was on the Asheron Call beta.....Dam, I played that game 24/7 for 2 months.....then I cried when I found out that it would cost money to play the retail game.

stev0

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
DAoC... i sold my soul to get 3 lvl50 characters :eek: not to mention a few more in the 40's ... i can remember some nights where i would turn around and it would be 8pm, look at the clock again and it's 3am :eek:

Bullhonkie

Golden Member
Sep 28, 2001
Originally posted by: maladroit
I played this game called Gemstone 3 on AOL back in the day. It was a game like Everquest, only text-based. I was only 14 or 15 at the time, and would stay up till like 3 am playing it, then thinking about it before sleeping, and sometimes waking up early to play (since less players would be on and I could hunt and gain more exp), and sometimes I would dream about it. What a loser I was (like I'm not anymore).

That lasted a few months and then I quit cold turkey. It kinda helped that they started charging $10 a month to play it.

...but no more MMORPG's for me.

Wow someone else who played GS3. :) Most addictive for me was Everquest, although Gemstone 3 is a close runner-up. I was hooked on GS3 for a number of years until EQ came along, and then my addiction moved to EQ. Since then I've jumped to and from various MMO games, nothing holding my interest more than a few months at best. Horizons is next on my list though, I'm kind of hoping (for my own good) that it turns out kind of mediocre so I don't get completely sucked into it. :eek:

PoPPeR

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2002
in terms of addiction in a short period of time (if you can call 175 hours played short), then final fantasy 7. If you mean addiction overall, then cs (3 years now)

simms

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2001
MUDs! hahahha.. those were great!
And CS... I want to kick some of you guys :)

N8Magic

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Star Control 2 owned me sooooooooooooooooooo bad when it first came out. I've never played a game like it since.

That being said, my current addiction includes Tiger Woods 2003 for PS2.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Originally posted by: Ranger X
CS, Subspace, and those addicting MUDs. :D
Wow someone knows what MUD is/was. I have never been more addicted to anything in my life than that MUD back in '97-'99. Since then, I haven't gotten into much of anything aside from UT almost every day. Haven't caught onto the UT2k3 thing yet though.

rpc64

Platinum Member
Jan 5, 2002
LoL Gemstone 3! Remember Modus Operandi? It was out around the same time on AOL and was the same kind of game. Man that game was so addicting.

eviltoon

Jun 22, 2001
Being an addictive personally, I get caught up in many games. But Diablo 2 and the expansion were big time toruble for me. I just reformatted by hard-drive and am NOT installing this game!