Moscow Mitch? Rand Paul? Edit: Fake News!

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

From the Twitter thread:
State of Kentucky's Teachers Retirement System was the second-largest shareholder for Sberbank of Russia (The largest bank in Russia).

Their position dropped 95% in value from $13MM to $778K

What's even more interesting is that the top-3 institutional holders in that Russian bank are all from Kentucky.

Both the retirement system and Todd Asset bought their shares the quarter ending March 2017 according to their filings. Right at the same time that KY rushed through a bill to build an aluminum plant.

So…who is Todd Asset Management LLC???

Edit: Appears to be fake news. I got duped! Twitter is lame.

Last edited:

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009

From the Twitter thread:
State of Kentucky's Teachers Retirement System was the second-largest shareholder for Sberbank of Russia (The largest bank in Russia).

What's even more interesting is that the top-3 institutional holders in that Russian bank are all from Kentucky.

Both the retirement system and Todd Asset bought their shares the quarter ending March 2017 according to their filings. Right at the same time that KY rushed through a bill to build an aluminum plant.

It's Moscow Mitchland.

Reactions: dank69

pauldun170

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2011

From the Twitter thread:

Wait....
What?

Why am I laughing?
I can't stop laughing....

Reactions: dank69

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
Thank God Garland knows that going after the biggest criminals in the US would lead straight into the arrest of a major portion of the Republican Party leadership and create a potential blood bath in the country as they would immediately call for a civil war and the murder of any who attempted to bring them to justice. It's just better to bury our heads in the sand and be happy that while some steal the futures of our children they may still at lease have a future if one of misery.

Reactions: hal2kilo

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
While it is definitely eyebrow raising from a timing perspective what is the theory of action here? Like what wrong-doing are people saying happened?

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
While it is definitely eyebrow raising from a timing perspective what is the theory of action here? Like what wrong-doing are people saying happened?
I dont think it's out of the realm of possibility that either McConnell or Paul (or some KY congressfolks) in the know about sanctions incoming convinced some financial managers to offload their stake. Weird how they unloaded in the knick of time.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
I dont think it's out of the realm of possibility that either McConnell or Paul (or some KY congressfolks) in the know about sanctions incoming convinced some financial managers to offload their stake. Weird how they unloaded in the knick of time.

That sounds like insider trading at its finest...if only it could be proven...

Feb 4, 2009
I suspect Moscow Mitch has little to do with teacher retirement funds. Fuck he wants them to be zero.
Per the other thread, this type of investment is common with international stock funds and it is a tiny percentage of the total amount invested.
Mitch fucking sucks but come on.

Reactions: pete6032

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
That sounds like insider trading at its finest...if only it could be proven...
I mean it's complete speculation and maybe was even foreseeable...just weird that McConnell especially has contacts with Russia and then this happens.

Even if it did happen those people are smart enough to not leave a trail so nothing would ever be proven. Except Paul. He's probably dumb enough to screw that up.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I suspect Moscow Mitch has little to do with teacher retirement funds. Fuck he wants them to be zero.
Per the other thread, this type of investment is common with international stock funds and it is a tiny percentage of the total amount invested.
Mitch fucking sucks but come on.

As for the % of assets under management, you’re correct. The teachers’ pension fund is fine. But what’s weird is how the Fund and 2-3 LLCs based in KY made up the largest *public* shareholders of a Russian bank. And, the purchased stakes all coincide with Rusal’s investment in Mitch’s aluminum plant in KY.

What I suspect happened is that the state of KY, either unwittingly or on purpose, helped Rusal evade sanctions in 2017 by injecting $$$ into an unsanctioned Sberbank.

Feb 4, 2009
As for the % of assets under management, you’re correct. The teachers’ pension fund is fine. But what’s weird is how the Fund and 2-3 LLCs based in KY made up the largest *public* shareholders of a Russian bank. And, the purchased stakes all coincide with Rusal’s investment in Mitch’s aluminum plant in KY.

What I suspect happened is that the state of KY, either unwittingly or on purpose, helped Rusal evade sanctions in 2017 by injecting $$$ into an unsanctioned Sberbank.

a far more reasonable theory.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015

From the Twitter thread:

I also have a bad feeling about the information security aspects of the data in the database of Kentucky's Teachers Retirement System. Russia loves to get their hands dirty when it comes to accessing unauthorized data.

What is even more interesting is the list of top companies, of which all seem to be from the U.S. ... Boston Private Wealth LLC.. LOL.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
I also have a bad feeling about the information security aspects of the data in the database of Kentucky's Teachers Retirement System. Russia loves to get their hands dirty when it comes to accessing unauthorized data.

What is even more interesting is the list of top companies, of which all seem to be from the U.S. ... Boston Private Wealth LLC.. LOL.

Yeah this is probably fake news—went back to the a Twitter thread as it felt off and sure enough it’s been debunked.