Question More Win10 copy problems

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
Win10 Pro updated Tuesday. Copying many folders from F (500GB HDD) to a new SK Hynix 500GB SDD. Drive not in a case and connected by e-sata cable and USB for power. After awhile get an error saying the destination does not exist. Looking in Disk Management the drive is gone. A simple reboot and the drive is back And I can continue copying. Then it stops again after a bit.

Billy Tallis

Aug 4, 2015
Sounds like whatever setup you have rigged isn't providing enough power to the SSD, or something's overheating. Neither should be happening with a SATA drive that is probably only pulling a bit over 2W, and you're using eSATA so there's not even a USB to SATA bridge chip to draw extra power. Some piece of hardware in this setup is probably defective. Try swapping the hard drive and SSD so that the SSD is installed internally and the hard drive is connected through the eSATA port.

Reactions: Shmee

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
One could speculate about the length of the eSATA cable, although I never read anything precisely explaining the limits of cable length. When building my systems for e-SATA external ports, I try and limit the size of the internal cables, knowing that I might have an external cable at least a couple feet long . . .

Reactions: VirtualLarry

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015

IBMJunkman

May 7, 2015
Bought 2 Samsung 860 Pro SSD 512gb. Copied the 2 SK Hynix drives to the Samsungs. Each copy process had the drives connected to the data and power cables attached to the mobo. No problems. Then ran WinMerge to compare the copies to the originals. No problems.

Time to not trust either of my esata cables.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
Many years ago I tried to use eSATA, due to reliability issues I ended up using USB3; eSATA would sometimes cause system stability issues, especially with drives that weren't 100% working, whereas USB would just report the issues and the system continued to work.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
I have some old aluminum external drive boxes, each with its own power supply. Some had originally been USB drive boxes, but I converted them to eSATA -- again -- no problem.

On the other hand, for a bare drive, I'd probably pull away from the type of cabling the OP gave in a link. I use one of those USB/SATA "bay" devices, like this: Startech bare-drive docking device

$65 seems pricey, and I thought I paid just over half that amount for the same Startech item -- somewhere -- I can't remember. But if a person has a network of four or five computers plus a laptop, he would want something like this, so I bought one maybe 10 years ago, then updated and bought another for USB3 and eSATA III. The occasional use made it worth it to me.