More VR Fun

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
People with glasses already cannot use this very comfortably from the looks of it. Some people would not be able to use this due to various medical issues. Pretty much everyone can look at a screen or monitor though. So...it's not just that the tech was poor before.

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
People with glasses already cannot use this very comfortably from the looks of it. Some people would not be able to use this due to various medical issues. Pretty much everyone can look at a screen or monitor though. So...it's not just that the tech was poor before.

People with glasses can use it. There are loads of examples if you look at various game publications. As for medical issues, yes, but I think you're weighting that issue far too heavily.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
People with glasses can use it. There are loads of examples if you look at various game publications. As for medical issues, yes, but I think you're weighting that issue far too heavily.

Not really, it does have quite a bit to do with headgear and such not becoming more popular. You don't want to release a product that will not be able to be used by a large group. I cannot see this thing being comfortable at all and the resolution has to rival a PC screen for me to care anyway.

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
Not really, it does have quite a bit to do with headgear and such not becoming more popular. You don't want to release a product that will not be able to be used by a large group. I cannot see this thing being comfortable at all and the resolution has to rival a PC screen for me to care anyway.

"Large group?" I disagree about the "largeness" of this group. What specific common medical issues are there that would stop people from using a relatively light headset?

As for resolution, I'm not worried about that. We have >1080p 5" LCD's already.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
"Large group?" I disagree about the "largeness" of this group. What specific common medical issues are there that would stop people from using a relatively light headset?

As for resolution, I'm not worried about that. We have >1080p 5" LCD's already.

Eye strain, neck strain, general discomfort after long sessions. I know even with the battery operated 3D glasses they were terribly uncomfortable around the ears and on the eyes after multiple hour game sessions.

Midwayman

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000
There's a reason VR has never caught on.

There are a lot of reasons why it hasn't caught on... yet. Too heavy, to expensive, small FOV, low resolution, poor tracking. OR has solved most of the issues. There is still the whole "nausea inducing" thing to worry about. However it has a lot of people in positions to make sure it gets support very excited. I feel like we're living in a blackberry world of VR and the iphone is just about to be released.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
People with glasses already cannot use this very comfortably from the looks of it.

John Carmack said that vision problems can be corrected with software, and people with prescription glasses won't need to wear them while using the Rift.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
John Carmack said that vision problems can be corrected with software, and people with prescription glasses won't need to wear them while using the Rift.

I can see that but then each game would have to support this in their game settings no? Or would it be universal via some control panel?

There are a lot of reasons why it hasn't caught on... yet. Too heavy, to expensive, small FOV, low resolution, poor tracking. OR has solved most of the issues. There is still the whole "nausea inducing" thing to worry about. However it has a lot of people in positions to make sure it gets support very excited. I feel like we're living in a blackberry world of VR and the iphone is just about to be released.

This is where I'm at right now. I'm not feeling this because it doesn't look like something I'd use. I do see someone somewhere, maybe not the Rift, putting out a product that works better than previous devices and catches on.

What resolution are we on now? Personally I think 1080p is too low for the PC sometimes.

thecrecarc

Diamond Member
Aug 17, 2004
Next generation of Kinect is able to recognize hand gestures.

The main issue I have with "VR" type games with kinect where you wave around to swing a sword or, in the future, pull a trigger to fire a gun is that you do not actually have the item in your hands. So it just feels like your randomly swinging your arms around, or moving your fingers in mid air. Not very immersive. :\

Unoid

Dec 20, 2012
I already got two different solutions for keyboard and mouse use while using the rift. Thinking of if I wanna look into a patent and develop it, or just sell the idea to the main company.