More voter suppression - Billboards in Milwaukee

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
When you cry wolf like this you shouldn't be surprised when people stop taking any mention of voter suppression seriously.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
When you cry wolf like this you shouldn't be surprised when people stop taking any mention of voter suppression seriously.

Most reasonable people already have, it's just the extremists that continue to foam at the mouth on this issue.

CitizenKain

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2000
The goal is to keep minorities from voting, to the rightwingers on here, anyone other then white males voting is a bad thing. Just they are too cowardly to admit it.

xBiffx

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2011
The goal is to keep minorities from voting, to the rightwingers on here, anyone other then white males voting is a bad thing. Just they are too cowardly to admit it.

Quit hogging the ganja and pass that shit.

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
Some people are confusing voter suppression with disenfranchisement. Suppression is simply reducing the number of people voting. Sometimes that can require disenfranchisement, other times not.

This is very obviously voter suppression via discouraging voting. I think it'd be hard to argue this billboard does not discourage voting. You see someone who can be assumed to be an innocent U.S. citizen (pretty white blonde female) behind bars for voting illegally. Based on stereotypes my assumption is she did so unknowingly, and is telling her story to help others avoid the same fate.

I come to that conclusion subconsciously for a number of reasons, in addition to stereotypes it would seem odd for a criminal to warn others that something which is obviously illegal should be avoided. 'Murdering people is a crime' with a scary guy saying 'I murdered someone' from behind bars would seem rather pointless, and one would wonder why the guy wanted to warn us about something so obvious. Rather ads like this are more typical of something citizens need to be warned about--i.e. new seatbelt laws.. click it or ticket.

The assumption the reader of the billboard makes, then, is that seemingly innocent people are being put behind bars for somehow voting illegally. I don't know all the rules, you have to fill out a lot of stuff on some forms to vote, I'm not a lawyer and don't want to make a mistake. Since there is little personal benefit to voting, better avoid it altogether.

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
Some people are confusing voter suppression with disenfranchisement. Suppression is simply reducing the number of people voting. Sometimes that can require disenfranchisement, other times not.

This is very obviously voter suppression via discouraging voting. I think it'd be hard to argue this billboard does not discourage voting. You see someone who can be assumed to be an innocent U.S. citizen (pretty white blonde female) behind bars for voting illegally. Based on stereotypes my assumption is she did so unknowingly, and is telling her story to help others avoid the same fate.

I come to that conclusion subconsciously for a number of reasons, in addition to stereotypes it would seem odd for a criminal to warn others that something which is obviously illegal should be avoided. 'Murdering people is a crime' with a scary guy saying 'I murdered someone' from behind bars would seem rather pointless, and one would wonder why the guy wanted to warn us about something so obvious. Rather ads like this are more typical of something citizens need to be warned about--i.e. new seatbelt laws.. click it or ticket.

The assumption the reader of the billboard makes, then, is that seemingly innocent people are being put behind bars for somehow voting illegally. I don't know all the rules, you have to fill out a lot of stuff on some forms to vote, I'm not a lawyer and don't want to make a mistake. Since there is little personal benefit to voting, better avoid it altogether.
A complete retard would come to that conclusion...and I think we could do with a lot less retards voting so don't really see the problem...

Also this pretty much mimics a shit ton of DUI billboards I've seen, I have never been dumb enough to think the person behind bars was "innocent" because of ignorance or any bullshit you're spewing.

Maybe this one will pass the "retard took it wrong" test
billboards.jpg

Last edited:

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
wi-voter-fraud-billboard-2010-16x9.png

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/...of-voter-intimidating-billboards-in-Milwaukee

What douche bags. They try to hide who they are like cowards, but what were the odds it was a right wing group though, 50-50? Clearchannel, who owns the billboards took them down, good for them.

Whats wrong with that Billboard ?? Nothing . If your legal to vote it doesn't suppress votes at all . Its actually a good billboard . Now they have to enforce the law . Had it been enforced people from where I live would be doing time or paying the dime . Either way justice done . But yes We have a grandparent and a parent in Old folks home . Yes we did get early votes for them . We also succedded into talking most into Romney votes . Its the deleget game with bigger stakes . The GOP knows this , And their out getting these votes . The old are easy to turn . They just needed to learn how to play . Game over . Even My dad voted Romney the first time he has ever voted republican same with his brothers all voted Romney. We are visiting 2 more retirement homes tonight , We took videos off the internet and show them . What obummer said and what he actually done , Its very effective at getting Romney votes .

Last edited:

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
A complete retard would come to that conclusion...and I think we could do with a lot less retards voting so don't really see the problem...

Also this pretty much mimics a shit ton of DUI billboards I've seen, I have never been dumb enough to think the person behind bars was "innocent" because of ignorance or any bullshit you're spewing.

It doesn't matter if 5%, 10% or even 1% come to that conclusion. It's a pretty simple marketing strategy--'if I show this to 100,000 people, in a predominantly Democratic area, 1,000 will come to that conclusion and not vote.'

I'm assuming anyone claiming this isn't suppression knows their argument is specious and I'm just stating the obvious

corwin

Diamond Member
Jan 13, 2006
It doesn't matter if 5%, 10% or even 1% come to that conclusion. It's a pretty simple marketing strategy--'if I show this to 100,000 people, in a predominantly Democratic area, 1,000 will come to that conclusion and not vote.'
And I'm back to us needing less retards voting again:p

Sorry but I can't help but believe that if they're too dumb to understand a simple sign they are too dumb to vote for a good president

Yes, I also believe the mentally disabled shouldn't be allowed to vote, but that's a redundant statement:colbert:

Last edited:

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
hahahahahahah, so now leftists have a problem with any message that might convince people who have no legal right to vote to not vote illegally? Really? How pathetic can you get?

diesbudt

Diamond Member
Jun 1, 2012
So, this billboard is reminding those who are not legal to vote in this country that there will be consequences if they break said law.

I have seen the same thing for drugs, alcohol, and many other things. Yet not once have I heard people complain "What about the poor people who dont drink and drive. They will be too scared to drive now" Or something like that.

Are people in these forums soooo biased and politics today soooo bad that people have to try and shine such a negative light onto something like this?

I think the real issue is, that if illegal members of society have to be reminded they have no right to vote to try and slow it down, how bad are the people who are suppossed to check/catch this at the polls?

Farang

Lifer
Jul 7, 2003
And I'm back to us needing less retards voting again:p

Sorry but I can't help but believe that if they're too dumb to understand a simple sign they are too dumb to vote for a good president

Yes, I also believe the mentally disabled shouldn't be allowed to vote, but that's a redundant statement:colbert:

I don't think it's necessarily retarded. It wouldn't work for me because I'm familiar with the laws and know it'd be ridiculous to throw people in jail for simple mistakes in registering or whatever.

But apply this type of campaign to something else I'm not familiar with.. if you started advertising how people were going to jail for not having the proper registration paperwork with them on their boats, and I saw those billboards all over the place and had that bug planted in my head that boat paperwork is complicated and you can get in a lot of trouble for not doing it right.. you can be sure I'd pay a lot more attention to what the rules were and how to do it properly. If there were no incentive to boating I'd probably just not bother with boating at all (my analogy falls short in that one might have more motivation to own a boat than to vote).

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
"3 years and 10k fine" lol, providing you aren't overseeing the election itself anyway, that kind of sentence would just be too embarrassing for the country..or something...

When do we get billboards (or better) warning elected state officials to not commit fraud? When do they get to see the view from behind bars?

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006

I'm assuming anyone claiming this isn't suppression knows their argument is specious and I'm just stating the obvious

You are badly broken .