more union BS. MTA workers caught sleeping on the job get 30 day suspension.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
This thread fairly reeks of envy disguised as self-righteousness. The guys got busted sleeping on the job and "only" got suspended for 30 days... Mew! Mew!

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
all the fucking time. and we end up subsidizing them through welfare.

and I believe the word you are looking for is 'whether'.

weather the financial storm or live the consequences, if all you make is 60k a year and your middle age or older, more then likely it's not going to get any better. a 30 day suspension will be painful. especially when he has to go home and explain to his wife what happened.

(The farmer wondered whether the adverse weather had affected his wether.)

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Sounds like a fair if not harsh punishment to me, unless he has a history of doing it.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
i lived in NYC, long island (nassau), central NJ, north NJ, CT and still live in the region.
i currently own an apt. in an outer nyc borough and a condo in NJ and rent a place in CT now. i got by when i was "only" making $50k a few years ago.
you?
So you're a good earner but a lousy human being.

Attic

Diamond Member
Jan 9, 2010
I don't really see what the outrage is seeing as the suspension is without pay. It isn't like we are paying for that. If said employee was found doing that again, union or non-union, they would be fired. Everybody fucks up on occasion. Who here hasn't caught a quick powernap or neffed at work or taken an extended smoke break? Those in glass houses etc etc.

??? Your examples are not even close to somebody clocking in for work, then shortly after getting in their car and driving down the street to go to sleep.

An extended smoke break?, a quick nod off on a desk? These are terrible examples to bring up to negate the severity of clocking in at 11 o-clock and then driving off site at 11:10 to go to sleep. In any other non-public enterprise these guys would be fired, end of story. If these guys in question took continuous extended smoke breaks or fell asleep at a desk on the job site, then maybe other punishment would be levied.

If you are using reasoning like shown in the quote it's 100% you are a loliberal.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
??? Your examples are not even close to somebody clocking in for work, then shortly after getting in their car and driving down the street to go to sleep.

An extended smoke break?, a quick nod off on a desk? These are terrible examples to bring up to negate the severity of clocking in at 11 o-clock and then driving off site at 11:10 to go to sleep. In any other non-public enterprise these guys would be fired, end of story. If these guys in question took continuous extended smoke breaks or fell asleep at a desk on the job site, then maybe other punishment would be levied.

If you are using reasoning like shown in the quote it's 100% you are a loliberal.

how about the piles of fools that come here 9 to 5 Monday thru Friday?

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
How amusing that the OP bolded a phrase in his first post that mistakenly misconstrues how "Union work Rules" are derived to further his point:

"The MTA tried to fire Billitteri after he was caught napping, but union work rules dictated he go to an arbitrator -- who handed him a 30-day suspension."

As written, it can be assumed that the Union arbitrarily created rules concerning how to handle disciplinary actions toward its union members, and that the Union alone is to be blamed for "wrist-slapping" its members who committed such "grievous" acts and Management had nothing to do at all with how the employees were disciplined. That is absolutely not true.

If there is a Union in place, then there is in most if not all cases an Collective Bargaining Agreement between the Union and Management. In crafting this Agreement, both the Union and Management had to agree to any and all rules concerning the policy of dispensing disciplinary measures toward its union members. Most, if not all policies that are agreed to between Unions and Management are quite explicit and detailed as to how infractions of Company policies are handled. Most, if not all disciplinary policies are hammered out and refined over the years that the Company and Union bargain, many having negotiated contracts many times over and again as each contract expires.

So let it be made very clear that Management had as much to do with how the napping employees were disciplined as the Union did.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
How amusing that the OP bolded a phrase in his first post that mistakenly misconstrues how "Union work Rules" are derived to further his point:

"The MTA tried to fire Billitteri after he was caught napping, but union work rules dictated he go to an arbitrator -- who handed him a 30-day suspension."

As written, it can be assumed that the Union arbitrarily created rules concerning how to handle disciplinary actions toward its union members, and that the Union alone is to be blamed for "wrist-slapping" its members who committed such "grievous" acts and Management had nothing to do at all with how the employees were disciplined. That is absolutely not true.

If there is a Union in place, then there is in most if not all cases an Collective Bargaining Agreement between the Union and Management. In crafting this Agreement, both the Union and Management had to agree to any and all rules concerning the policy of dispensing disciplinary measures toward its union members. Most, if not all policies that are agreed to between Unions and Management are quite explicit and detailed as to how infractions of Company policies are handled. Most, if not all disciplinary policies are hammered out and refined over the years that the Company and Union bargain, many having negotiated contracts many times over and again as each contract expires.

So let it be made very clear that Management had as much to do with how the napping employees were disciplined as the Union did.

Fuck that. The MTA should be arrested for rape because they're raping the NYC taxpayer every time we pay for a ride on the trains.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
Fuck that. The MTA should be arrested for rape because they're raping the NYC taxpayer every time we pay for a ride on the trains.

rabble rabble rabble buy gold rabble rabble rabble hoard ammo rabble rabble rabble

Feb 19, 2001
NYC's subway is at least half decent. The rest of them in the US are just terrible. Completely self insufficient due to the fact that they aren't real subways but more commuter rails. Then again this has to do with how cities in the US are built and our car-congested roads.

But yes, I consider certain metro lines in the US to be a complete rape of the taxpayers. I won't deny that the Bay Area's BART is a nice thing to ride sometimes, but at the same time it's not a true subway, and I sometimes would rather see us improve the damn roads in this area instead.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
honestly I think NYC and washington DC are the only 2 cities with subways worth a damn. In both those places its great to shed your car.

Red Dawn

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2001
honestly I think NYC and washington DC are the only 2 cities with subways worth a damn. In both those places its great to shed your car.

It's pretty easy to get around in the Boston area with their Transit.